In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M-1 Carbine ? "Detachable spring housing"

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
I'm about to list a m-1 carbine for sale, while looking it over and takin pix I noticed the recoil spring housing is different than my Inland. This is a Winchester (ser. # 1.1 mil), what do you call this type and how does it affect value? thanks
M1-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Detachable spring housing".

You should remove it, as a buyer will want to know if it is the type with a nub that fits in a hole in the receiver.

You also want to show the SN; now is not the time to play games. Early Winnie receivers with original finish can bring large $.

Neal

EDIT: Spring housing nub:
    wincarbspringrecess.jpg
    Receiver hole:
    wincarbspringtube.jpg
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    thanks Niel, I'll do that. unfortunetly this is one of the Italians (FAT 68) from the CMP. here's a pix with the tube out.
    M1-2.jpg
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    thanks Niel, I'll do that. unfortunetly this is one of the Italians (FAT 68) from the CMP. here's a pix with the tube out.
    M1-2.jpg

FAT or not the receiver is not marked with import marks and it is only the stock that is marked FAT. This will not make the gun worth less for the barreled action it is just the stock that is not winnie. PREMIUM price in my opinion for your barreled receiver. Do some research before listing it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The common term for these is "spring tube carbines"
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the Italian carbines are marked in front of the receiver on top of the barrel. I don't think you can look at a CMP rifle with paper work an import and you should be able to get a little more for a Winchester mixmaster.

Emmett
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came across some occasionally in the Service. They were about as rare as laminated trigger housings.