In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 S&W ?

47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Ask the Experts
I was cleaning out a box of "junk" and found some 38 S&W, one is marked as "US 38 S&W". Several marked as "REM UMC 38 S&W" with a "U" on the primer and 7 without any marking at all. All are loaded with lead showing.

Any idea of the year and should I keep them as is or save just the brass ?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    US Cartridge company was a Winchester subsidiary. There ammo was packaged and sold, in very distinctive boxes with orange colored labels.

The were folded back into Winchester Western Ammo, and ceased to be a separate manufacturer in the 1930's. Prior to W W II.

The cartridge with the U.S. headstamp. Is quite likely 80 years old. Might be of interest to cartridge collectors?

The REM UMC stuff is probably of the same age. But way more common, than the US Cartridge Co.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While a full, original box is collectible, loose rounds are not worth fooling with. There are enough folks with revolvers in that caliber that are in good shooting condition that the ammo is still being made (limited production). I found a partial box, kept it until I found someone who could use it, & gave them to him.

Neal
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    U.S.C.Co. ammunition was last loaded in 1936. The REM-UMC headstamp was last used in 1960. Beyond those two dates it would be hard to say exactly when your cartridges were manufactured. But regardless, 32 S&W ammunition is not exactly a sought-after collectors item and without the original boxes, loose cartridges would have a minimal value.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.