In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a M1 Experts help!

the-gun-depotthe-gun-depot Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Ask the Experts
I have a Inland Division M1 that doesn't have a rear sight. It doesnt look like it ever had a rear sight mounted. Is this something that's common or maybe I just don't get how the rear sight mounts. Looks like the lower stock has been replaced and the upper hand guard is original (or at least older). The receiver #234XXX and the barrel is marked Inland General Motors 43. Anyway just trying to get some idea about the rear sight. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post some pics
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The rear sight mounts in the dovetail on M1 carbines. They had a flip-up when new and a adjustable after rebuilds.
    Look on the auction side as there are some there for sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Heres a picture ( I could only figure out how to add one), I just can't see how a sight would have ever been mounted. Any help is appreciated.

[img][/img]InlandM1004_zps7a1c33a7.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That gives a new meaning to "my sights are off" [:D]. Thats a strange bird to me, never seen one before, may be more rare than a Singer 1911 [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    Well only if rare means dollars, not sure about shooting without sights......
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a photo off the net showing how the rear sight of the M 1 carbine is mounted. There is a integral boss on the rear of the receiver, that is machined with a female dovetail. The base of the rear sight has a corresponding male dovetail.

EDIT #1, More then likely a lunchbox special. Receiver was rejected for faulty machining of rear sight boss. Instead of being scrapped, it went home stuck down somebodies underwear.

At this late date might be considered a pricey collectable, by a advanced Carbine collector.

SideviewofRearSightandTriggerAssemb.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes this doesn't have the dovetail and it also doesn't have the markings U>S> Carbine on the receiver ring either. I've located some information, trying to sift thru it now. Apparently there were rifles that ended up in Germany and had the rear sight removed. They were removing the U'S' markings and soldering sights on the front receiver ring. the only thing that doesn't match what they're saying is that the rear dovetail was never removed all the way, just milled down a bit.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, many carbines were loaned to the Germans after the war for police & home guard use. CMP auctioned a few hundred that were returned within the last few years, but none had the receiver ground like yours. But, considering the many local departments that used these carbines & never expected to return them to us, any mod is possible.

I don't know if the Germans have a name equivalent to "Bubba", but I would expect it to bring 50% of the price of an unmolested carbine. If it were mine, I'd put an extended eye relief scope on the barrel with a clamp mount.

Neal