In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 798

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at buying a remington 798 in .308 and was wondering if anyone had any advice good or bad about this gun I have read up on it and know the history but the price it is being offered at seems to good to be true. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about the new Remington 798. I realize the barrreled action is being sold. Does anyone know anything about the barrel? Would you consider the action to build a custom sporter with? Will the action fit a Mauser 98 action stock inletted by say Boyd brothers ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone here have any experience with the Rem. 798 Mauser (Zastava). Specifically fit, finish, reliability etc. Any input is welcome. THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for information of the above. Mauser action bgr from Remington.

Thanks

Sage1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking at some of these rifles and have to wonder can they really hold up in something like a 458 win mag or 375 h&h? I am interested in possibly owning one if it did, but don't want something that might blow up in my face or something that will shatter the stock.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i recently bought 2 of these from cdnn on closeout. for the $398 i paid they are a great buy.fit and finish is nice,i bought mine in walnut stock,308 cal.put a good scope on it and it shoots sub moa right out of the box.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine (30-06) wood laminate stock is great, and also shoots sub MOA with factory loads. Can't wait to work up a really good handload for it.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one .375 H&H and one .458. Both Safari grade new in box unfired. Both are 22" barrels and 3 ply nice grain walnut with rounded forearm cap. Sorry, I don't like those plywood jobs nor that horrible back rack angle on the forearm. Paid $600 for .375 and $850 for .458. Lot of bang for the buck. Yes the CZ is fitted a little better, however I feel the good old boys in Tennesse got a little scared about their jobs towards the end of the run and got more careful. The metal work is right up there.The .375 H&H was given up by and older gentleman because of health reasons(scheduled trip to Alaska).Went to Alaska in '89 (Gods Country).I like both with short 1 3/4 to 5 scope and short barrel for those nasty critters. Hope to make it back to Alaska. Dought if I will ever make it to Africa.(67 now). Truthfully, bought both guns for speculation but just itching to burn some powder with them!