In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta 950

pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a beretta 950B Minx in .22short. The gun was purchased in 1962. The gun does not have a thumb safety. When was the safety added, and does this affect the value of this model gun?
Thanks,
Phil

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the Gun Control Act of 1968 went into effect, it banned the importation of all small mouse guns like yours.

My WAG is that when Beretta started production at their U.S. factory in Accokeek Md, the pistols had manual safeties.

I bought their U.S. made double action .22 LR version in 1983. I know for a fact that it had a manual safety, because that was the reason I got rid of it. Whenever I fired it, the pistol would shift in my chubby hand. This would cause me to involuntary engage the manual safety.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Your pistol (and all of it's bothers) have a half-cock notch on the hammer and were never fitted with a manual safety. The 950 received a minor update in 1964 and became the 950B. As RS already said importation of the 950 was discontinued due to the 1968 Gun Control Act so when production of the 950 began in the USA in 1978 a manual safety was added and this version was known as the 950BS (Model B with added safety). Italian made Beretta pistols always bring a premium over their USA made counterparts.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pphillips
    I have a beretta 950B Minx in .22short. The gun was purchased in 1962. The gun does not have a thumb safety. When was the safety added, and does this affect the value of this model gun?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Post-1968 Beretta 950s (the designation changed from "950B" to "950BS") have the safety.

The older 950s without the safety -- such as yours -- normally sell for a premium over the later models in equivalent condition.

The 22-short 950s also normally sell for a premium over the 25acp ones.

Basic information on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_950
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a rare NIB 950B in .22 short marked MADE IN BRAZIL.

beretta950B.jpg
    beretta950B3.jpg

Neal
  • Options
    pphillipspphillips Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info , mine was made in Italy.
    Thanks again
    Phil