In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US M1913 combination arms rack

oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in Ask the Experts
I recently acquired an all original and complete (except for the padlocks) Model 1913 barracks rack. I believe this was the first all metal barracks rack developed for the US military. I found a little information on page 329 of the book Springfield 1903 Rifles by Brophy and there is a sketch on page 332. I have yet to find any more information on the internet or in my books.

It's designed to hold 20 1903 Springfields and 20 revolvers or M1911s. The 28 inch, cast iron bottom ring has sockets for the rifle butt stocks. The center is a heavy iron pipe. The top ring is a single unit that holds the end of the rifle barels and the handguns sit muzzle down in the top of the ring. There are separate locking rings for the rifle barrels and and handgun trigger guards, each requiring a padlock to secure. It weighs 116 pounds and cleaned up pretty nicely.

There has been a barracks rack running on the auction side that I think is a M1920. The M1920 would have two rings at the top, one to hold and lock rifle barrels and one for the hand guns. The one for sale does not have the handgun ring with it.

https://www.GunBroker.com/item/772052295

Here are my questions--

--Are these things sort of rare? I would have thought we made thousands of these but can't find even a picture of a M1913 on the internet, much less a sale listing.

--Who made these? US arsenals or contractors?

Any other information or sources of info would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no answer but there were two of these at Bay State Arms near Framingham, Mass back in 2004 when they were going out of business. I bought a lot of stuff there and could have bought both racks for a couple of hundred bucks a piece but I was driving a car and I couldn't make them fit. I probably should have shipped them.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Demand is what dictates value. 2 or more bidders, competing for a item, etc. IMHO, because of size and weight of the arms rack, not a easy sell. An advanced US military collector. Who has a substantial vault/arms room, would be the best prospect.

From my personal experience fleabay, would be the best place to research and/or sell. The arms rack.
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Demand is what dictates value. 2 or more bidders, competing for a item, etc. IMHO, because of size and weight of the arms rack, not a easy sell. An advanced US military collector. Who has a substantial vault/arms room, would be the best prospect.

From my personal experience fleabay, would be the best place to research and/or sell. The arms rack.

Well, mine is not for sale, I'm not trying to sell it and I don't care what the value is. I'm happy to have it and it's staying here. I'm just trying to learn more about it.

BTW, you are correct about just needing bidders. Rock Island sold a M1920 with both the rifle and pistol rings in April 2013 for $1,492, unsure if that included the 18.5% buyer's premium.
  • Options
    ampartsamparts Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The base is the same for the mixed rack like you have and also for the pistol rack which has all pistol "rings". Last pile I ought came from Rough and Ready Island, Stockton CA. They were boxed and had probably been returned from the Far East. Paid less than $60.00 each and sold most for around $150, only one left. Still have brass locks with keys for these.