In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cutting a vent-rib barrel to about 18"

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
How well does it work? I have a long barreled shotgun and want one with a barrel of about 18 to 20 inches.
Does it look good, or goofy?
Is there any problems reducing the length?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It depends where it is cut. Try to cut it where the rib bridge is connected to the barrel. If you cut it right in between the bridges, then cut the bridge flush then drill and tap for a bead.
    It depends on what you want it to look like.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just be SURE the "about" is over 18". Ask Randy Weaver why.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    It depends where it is cut. Try to cut it where the rib bridge is connected to the barrel. If you cut it right in between the bridges, then cut the bridge flush then drill and tap for a bead.
    It depends on what you want it to look like.

+1
    I had to cut a Ted Williams 20 gauge pump for a small kid to use. It had a smaller "middle" bead at 18 1/2" out on the vent rib. I cut it right after the bead sight. Looked like a factory barrel when done.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kissgoodnight
    How well does it work? I have a long barreled shotgun and want one with a barrel of about 18 to 20 inches.
    Does it look good, or goofy?
    Is there any problems reducing the length?

Works as well as any other shotgun.

Appearance is subjective, but I've seen guns like this, and I don't think they look any "goofier" than any other 18" bbl'd shotgun. See here:

http://www.laroccagunworks.com/shotgun.shtml
    shotguns_23_and_18-8.jpg

Potential problems in reducing the length?

a. Keep it over 18" or go to jail for a long time. (Measure twice. . .or three times. . .or four times. . .then cut once!).

b. Don't forget to touch up the bare metal if you're doing the cut yourself.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely leave some slack for potential problems and cut on the rib support to leave structure. Unless you like brazing and playing around with bluing...

Good luck!
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cut the VR barrel I found for my Ithaca M-37 at the fron edge of a support point and had that area drilled for a fiber optic front sight. It came out to about 21" and looks fine.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    when i did mine, i started longer than what i wanted and patterned it after i made the cut , i didn't like the way it shot so i shortened it up to the next rib support and did it all over again, if i remember right i ended up with about a 20" that shot really good for a cly bore gun
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an 1100 Rem 20 gauge LW cut to the first support to have enough wall thickness for a Colonial thinwall series screw in choke.
    The gun looks good and shoots great.