In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 auto

combatinccombatinc Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited March 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a question on the 1911 45 auto.What is the longest slide and barrel that can be put on the 45.I'am thinking of haveing one built. And would like a 6or 7 inch barrel on it.

Comments

• Options
    combatinccombatinc Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lookin for a new 45 any suggestions hk - sig - beretta - sw mp line
    any advice on any of these
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot HK's, Sigs, And smiths. Ive never had a bad experience with hk or sig. Can't honestly say the same for smith although my bad smith experience was limited to one bad gun. I have an HK P30 that I absolutely love. Check out the HK 45, I promise you'll be impressed. I've handled a lot of guns and haven't found ANYTHING that fits my hand as well as these do.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by combatinc
    lookin for a new 45 any suggestions hk - sig - beretta - sw mp line
    any advice on any of these

They're all fine.

Think about: what fits your hand best, weight, and the action type you like (ie striker fired, traditional double-action, decocker-vs-external safety, etc).

Do that, pick the one you like the best, and you'll have a good gun.

While you're at it, take a look at the CZ97 too.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely don't overlook the 1911 clones.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you are looking for...a 1911 single action, or everything else.

If you want an all metal something else, there is the Sig 220, and if you would go for nice used, the S&W 4506.

The S&W M&P 45 is the rage, and the Springfield XD is a close runner up.

In the 1911 field, lets not forget the original manufacturer, Colt. For new names, lets try Para USA, previously Para Ordnance, again S&W makes a dandy too. I would shy from the Kimber's at this time, untill they get some issues figured out.

Best
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Colt Series 70 Government Model or if you want adjustable sights go with the Gold Cup. Will hold it's value or even go Up in value if you don't abuse. If you install any aftermarket parts save original parts .The pistol will be worth more in original configuration then Modified.
  • Options
    rabump199rabump199 Member Posts: 238 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a SW 4506-1 bought it from a friend who had FFL and was a cop. It was LE trade in, sold it to me for low 200, and I then sold it later for 450.00, I didn't think I would miss it but I do. It's heavy, not a carry everyday unless you get a compact one but that thing ate everything I put in it. I did a marathon of 1000 Rounds of TULA Russian 230g FMJ and not a hiccup, my hand looked like I had been in a coal mine but it fired every time. Ok, I'm sad now. Wish I had her back...
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Colt Series 70 Government Model or if you want adjustable sights go with the Gold Cup. Will hold it's value or even go Up in value if you don't abuse. If you install any aftermarket parts save original parts .The pistol will be worth more in original configuration then Modified.

Ditto with Perry![:D] Don't know why you left Colt out of the discussion? If you shop around carefully you can get a great Colt Series 1970/Gold Cup for good price now in this down market and shoot it, take care of it, and it will do nothing but appreciate in your hands. I have a SIG and love it, but it isn't a Series 70 Colt. They do nothing but go up in value....and you get to shoot it for free! Anyway, good luck in your choice[^]
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt 1911A1

HK45

CP
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The H&K USP 45 and Sig P-220 are both outstanding pieces of engineering. USP is a little bulky for some people's hands, but has a versatile safety system. The Series 70 and earlier 1911's are the standard against which all other .45 pistols are judged. You need to try the candidates that appeal to you aand select the one that best suits your needs and intended use.