In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning sa22 auto won't extract

wulfmanwulfman Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a Browning SA-22(1981-Japan) 22lr auto that won't extract properly. Have removed a small burr on extr and polished, cleaned thoughly, and tested with 6 kinds of HV ammo. Also replaced extr spring with new factory one. Have ckecked chamber for dings/burrs. This one really has me stumped!
Thanks, Thad

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried polishing the chamber? Maybe a little J-B Bore Paste, or auto polishing compound.

Neal
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have found on some 22 extractors to be worn where they don't hook good onto rim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Polished chamber- no effect on problem. Gun is in excellent cond. I don't think more than 3K rds fired. I don't think extr is badly worn but having no exp w/ this model I don't know for sure. It acts just like a broken/missing ejector, but I don't see anything in the action that would act as an ejector.
    thanks for suggestions, Thad
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Wulfman I dont want to sound like a wise guy but lets make sure we have our terms identified extraction pulls the case back out of the chamber after the cartridge is fired in the case of a Semi auto rimfire . The extractor is normally mounted on the same side of the Bolt as the ejection port or in your case the bottom if this is the auto that
    when is working normally sends the fired cases straight down. The ejector will be either opposite "TOP " or near the top on both sides . a straight Blow Back action "LIKE YOURS" needs both an Extractor and ejector . Are you saying it does not have any ejector. [?][?] Go to Brownells or Gun Parts INC and get a parts breakdown picture of your gun and look to see if you are missing a part.
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Thad~

Karl's correct.. Terms are important.. The Browning doesn't have a separate ejector.. The base of the fired case hits the rails of the Cartridge guide as the bolt travels to the rear.. Might look for something up there that's preventing contact..
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe it would help if Thad posted photos of his rifle showing the exact parts he's talking about. We may not all be on the same page. My understanding is that the Browning .22 automatic rifle has twin extractors powerful enough to rip the head off of a horse. But, I could be wrong:

browning22auto1.jpg

If this is Thad's rifle, another possibility is that the barrel may be loose. On most, but not all, of this model, the barrel may be tightened by turning the knurled barrel ring. Or, maybe the barrel extractor slots may be burred. Without photos, I think we may have reached a dead end.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi guys,
    After looking at this little puppy for days now, I think I have a bad extr. It's not worn, just poorly made to begin with. Will try a new one.
    Thanks for all your help, Thad