In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

High Standard H-D Rear Sight

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a High Standard H-D with an adjustable rear sight. Not really sure how to adjust it and the closest I can get on line is old posts that read "don't try to adjust the rear sight, you'll strip the screws and ruin the gun".

Any advice, and is the rear sight height adjustable or windage only?

Comments

• Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    All Model H-D Military models came with the same rear sight which is adjustable for windage and elevation. It is a bit cumbersome compared to more modern High Standard designs and most target sho0ters at the time had the sights changed to Micro sights. Micro had a booth at Camp Perry.

Here is a link to the instruction card posted on my website that came with these guns describing how it is supposed to be done. Done properly you do not "ruin your gun" People with delusions of competency are the ones who ruin their guns.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/letpistols/1121D200R.pdf
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you John. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is also helpful to make a lever with a slot filed in it to adjust the sight for elevation. An old key works well - brass will not mar the blued surface.
    Thank you John. Over the years I had lost memory of the screw under the slide. I used to shoot my HD in indoor competition. It seemed to hang better for slow fire.
  • Options
    JohnStimsonJohnStimson Member Posts: 448
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    It is also helpful to make a lever with a slot filed in it to adjust the sight for elevation. An old key works well - brass will not mar the blued surface.

When you properly loosen the screws, no force is needed to move the blade. You don't need the lever.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JohnStimson
    All Model H-D Military models came with the same rear sight which is adjustable for windage and elevation. It is a bit cumbersome compared to more modern High Standard designs and most target sho0ters at the time had the sights changed to Micro sights. Micro had a booth at Camp Perry.

Here is a link to the instruction card posted on my website that came with these guns describing how it is supposed to be done. Done properly you do not "ruin your gun" People with delusions of competency are the ones who ruin their guns.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/letpistols/1121D200R.pdf

Thank you John. Your help is appreciated. That screw on the underside of the slide is a tough one to spot at first - glad I gave the gun a good cleaning.

I note the left side (as viewed when sighting) of the sight has a thin pin vertically with one end secured into the sight blade base. The other end protrudes just a bit above the top of the wing. Is this correct positioning or should the uppermost end of the pin sit below the top of the wing?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher

Thank you John. Your help is appreciated. That screw on the underside of the slide is a tough one to spot at first - glad I gave the gun a good cleaning.

I note the left side (as viewed when sighting) of the sight has a thin pin vertically with one end secured into the sight blade base. The other end protrudes just a bit above the top of the wing. Is this correct positioning or should the uppermost end of the pin sit below the top of the wing?

I wouldn't be pushing your luck, with the pin. They are quite fragile, and I have seem more than one battered. Because folks don't realize the screw in the back of the slide has to be backed out. And the hinge mechanism, has to be flushed with solvent to loosen it up. So the elevation can be adjusted. Without pounding on it with a steel punch.

All the pin does is to serve as a index point, when adjusting the elevation leaf. The screw in back actually locks the leaf in position.

As John noted, the rear sight was such a pain. Many shooters in the 50's, replaced it with Micros.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a run through on windage, pretty straightforward and I left the sight centered. I've left the elevation alone for now. We'll she how she shoots first.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did a run through on windage, pretty straightforward and I left the sight centered. I've left the elevation alone for now. We'll she how she shoots first.

The ones I've had, all shot high. Set up for 6:00 hold on bull. Not my preferred hold. Always wound up with the rear sight. As far down as it could go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

The ones I've had, all shot high. Set up for 6:00 hold on bull. Not my preferred hold. Always wound up with the rear sight. As far down as it could go.

Good to know. I like 6 o'clock hold and that would work out well.