In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"wet powder" in cartridge

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in Ask the Experts
bought some 7mm rem mag from a gun show in plastic container. 40 rounds all R P marked. they all looked like factory rounds. pulled a bullet to check weight and noticed most of the powder remained in the case. got it all out by taping the case on a table. powder appeared to be wet, dark colored and clumped together. inside of the case and the bottom of the bullet slightly corroded. put powder on a metal plate and burned. it left a lot of residue that was damp feeling or maybe oily. put empty cases in my rifle and both primers fired and were fairly loud. is this a sign of deteriorating power. i dont see how it could have gotten wet without affecting the primer. any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Storage conditions are everything. Appearing factory isn't necessary factory.

Some years back my boss gave me 2000 209 shotgun primers he got from some dead relatives estate along with some other reloading stuff. I loaded some of the primers, they seemed fine. Until I had a hang fire with one during my Lyman sabot slug load work up.

The slug stuck in the barrel, the plastic part of the case was burnt/melted and the brass part was torn an twisted. Lots of un-burnt BlueDot in the action. Looking at the remains of the case you would suspect the shotgun was a goner. However the 870 Express was just fine.

Using my Leatherman and cutting a stick to pound out the slug, I was able to clear the weapon and have a working companion for the walk home.

I still have the primers, properly labeled and may shoot them up soon, just to get rid of them. Unknown storage conditions before I got them.

When I was about 12 (1968) my dad gave me a sack with one box marked 1918 Olympic Match 30-06 with a hundred or so loose. The first round went click, I held it for a while, then went to port arms. 7 to 11 seconds later it went off with full effect. I shot perhaps 50 rounds every one a hang fire except 2 duds. I waited like five minutes before yanking the bolt open as fast as I could.

At home we pulled the 2 duds down. The powder inside was a nasty green slime. I think the bullet and primer seal surfaces were fine. We didn't pull down a regular one and I never saw that ammo again. Shot plenty of National match stuff over the years.

Yea I understand some folks say they never made Olympic Match.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't even waste my time with it. Pull the bullets. Get the powder out of the brass, using a 1/8 wooden dowel, with a screwdriver tip. Decap the primers.

Clean brass and bullets in a ultrasonic cleaner. Using water and 2 tablespoons of Citric acid. This will clean everything. Even the primer pockets. I've been using this formula, for years now. Use 4 tablespoons of baking soda in water. After dumping the Citric acid, to stop the chemical reaction of the Citric acid on the brass.
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens to factory new ammo. Had a friend buy a new rifle last summer and bought new name brand ammo. Sighted in the gun and took it hunting last fall, lined up one a nice buck and it went pop, not bang. The bullet lodged in the barrel and he sat in the stand trying push the bullet out with a branch while the deer stood and watched. The powder didn't ignite, it was hard.
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg