In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 69a ???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in Ask the Experts
LGS has a nice little 69a for sale. It has a rear peep on it, and if I remember correctly it is a Redfield. Looking in the bb it mentions a target version of the 69a and it references a model 97a rear peep and a 80a hooded front sight, but does not mention the maker. There is no rear open sight on it, only a blank. Any ideas as to what I might be looking at? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought one a couple months ago, it didn't have the peep sights but open sights. I read as much as I could about 69a, and if I remember right they refereed to the one with peep sight, ramp that it was a target model of the 69, with model 75 more of there middle grade target rifle. I did see a couple with Redfield sight and I know they talked about the mod97a and 80a hood, I just assumed they were the ones made by Winchester.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    We have an 1894 Winchester made in 1898, that has a tang peep sight on it. although I have found no name anywhere on it, I understand that it was made by Lyman for Winchester.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    target models are marked l rifle or long rifle only. have no place for a rear barrel sight.
  • Options
    regal454regal454 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sight model numbers you mention are for the factory-equipment Winchester-made sights, not interchangeable with Lyman or Redfield.