In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What will it take...

B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in General Discussion
To turn this country around? And can it be done in 4 years?? 8 years?? Ever??

I want some input on this subject...

Thanks,

Brent

Comments

• Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I wish I knew the answer to this and will be watching with interest...
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    You'll never turn this country around until you can change the mind set of the people living in it. They say that there is no way to cure a drug addict or an alcoholic until he or she understands that they have a problem and want to change. The way that we are living now simply cannot continue to be maintained unless we are prepared to double the national debt every 10-15 years and hand over a bigger and bigger stack of IOUs to following generations of Americans. It will be a bitter pill and I honestly don't think that Americans are ready to take their medicine.
  • Options
    crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    A really good kick in the pants is what we need to wake up... Sounds like we are getting there. And a little hunger to make us appreciate the good ol days.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Going back to a being a God fearing Nation.....Bull
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    well, we got over the great depression, so theoretically we can get over this.

the difference very well may be, as mentioned before, the mentality of the populace. the GD era citizens were hard working, mostly honest and good people(i dont personally think religion has any place here, but to each his own). todays people are self entitled, lazy, dishonest misanthropes who will * and * and * some more but in the end will never stand up and do what has to be done.

unless the mentality of the populace changes, this country is doomed. now, i try very very hard not to be one of the nutjobs on here that thinks we should stage an armed revolt every time the government makes a decision(good or bad) and i also stay as far away from the sky is falling group as well. but our current situation worries me.

i dont think there is a fix. theres no money to throw at it. theres very few(if any, which i doubt) truly good and honest government officials, whether currently in office or running for any office and as mentioned before, not enough citizens to stand up and get the job done.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    This may not be a good sign [:0]

surrenderdot.jpg
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    Going back to a being a God fearing Nation.....Bull

I agree, that is BULL!
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    No, He Dog. Sorry, but Bull nailed it. That, and get rid of our federally-mandadted youth indoctrination centers -- sorry, our schools. A nation of illiterates who cannot think will never succeed at self-government.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    The thing that makes this so much worse than the GD is the fact that during the GD, many more people were independent and could fend for themselves. At least for the most part. You have so little of that today anymore. The idea of splitting wood is so foreign to some it is mind boggling.Hell-I've been burning wood in this house for 7 years and just bought a splitter this summer on my orthopedic surgeon's recommendation. People are gonna hurt and they brought it on themselves.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    The thing that makes this so much worse than the GD is the fact that during the GD, many more people were independent and could fend for themselves. At least for the most part. You have so little of that today anymore. The idea of splitting wood is so foreign to some it is mind boggling.Hell-I've been burning wood in this house for 7 years and just bought a splitter this summer on my orthopedic surgeon's recommendation. People are gonna hurt and they brought it on themselves.

And the politicians need to stop pandering to those damned "special interest" groups and get back to taking care of the majority of loyal, red-blooded Americans.
  • Options
    B_McB_Mc Member Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your input everyone.

Do you all think that there could possibly be a "war" with in this country.

I honestly think that just like many other HUGE events, blood will have to be shed.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we return to a society of need not want some of use have always lived like that others (myself included) have wanted more than we need

it will bite us all in the butt sooner that later I hope
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one major step would be for the politicions go back to being part time jobs, vote the whole lot in dc out, and all the way down to your local city govt. I doubt if we ever see common sense running govt again, it would be nice though.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Want to hear a story? I'll try to keep it brief...
    I went to pick up my son from a friends house, and had a brief conversation with the kid's dad, Brian, who've I've know since he was a kid, as he was the younger brother of a high school girlfriend of mine. Brian is a cop in the "city," and generally a nice guy.
    Brian said that this weekend, he was patolling the ending of a high school dance. Some 17 year old boy got into his car, and a friend of the kid jumped ON the BACK of the car. Said he signalled for the kid to stop, but he didn't, he continued to roll through a couple more blocks, then finally pulled over. Brian wrote him up two tickets, one for letting the kid ride on the trunk, the other for not stopping. He said when he got home, he received a nasty call from the parents of the boy, screaming at BRIAN for pulling the kid over, for the tickets, complaining about what this was going to do to their insurance premiums!
    Brian said after a few minutes, he just said to them that he was touched by the concern they expressed for the safety of the kid riding on the hood, who could have fallen off and God knows wht injuries could have resulted, and that he could see where their son gets his sense of accountability based on this, if they were concerned about their premiums, they should have thought about it before they put their irresponsible son on their insurance. Good bye, and have a nice evening, CLICK.

And then people wonder why the country is going to hell in a handbasket. Why should I have to be responsible when I can blame it on someone else, or cry til someone fixes it? From the top down, there is ZERO accountability.
  • Options
    1776-19761776-1976 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Revolution would be a good start. Short of a revolution a economic collapse would be a good way to wake up all the sleeping sheeple.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The money mess is a symptom, not the problem.

When the Founding Fathers were considering what form of government to set up they discarded democracy because a democracy can't survive beyond the point where the majority discovers they have a license to steal.

Unfortunately the minority and the majority have discovered there are ways to do the same thing in a Republic. We are past the point of a fix. There will be fixes, temporary repairs, peaks and valleys, but the trend will be down until the system collapses.

There is a possibility of freedom when a generation or a few from now take a do-over, but it's not likely.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    The money mess is a symptom, not the problem.

When the Founding Fathers were considering what form of government to set up they discarded democracy because a democracy can't survive beyond the point where the majority discovers they have a license to steal.

Unfortunately the minority and the majority have discovered there are ways to do the same thing in a Republic. We are past the point of a fix. There will be fixes, temporary repairs, peaks and valleys, but the trend will be down until the system collapses.

There is a possibility of freedom when a generation or a few from now take a do-over, but it's not likely.

Summed up quite accurately JamesRK.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After 4-8 years of Obama, I don't give us much of a chance. He will forever change the makeup of the Supreme Court and that will begin our downward spiral from which there might not be any recovery!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    skeens41skeens41 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    term limits on politicians
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B_Mc

Thanks,

Brent

143837682_2981e48dfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

Thanks,

Brent

143837682_2981e48dfc.jpg

Nice.....

Got kids?
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rcrxs old lady

Thanks,

Brent

143837682_2981e48dfc.jpg

Nice.....

Got kids?

Nope. Don't want them either. Kids irritate me.
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    After 4-8 years of Obama, I don't give us much of a chance. He will forever change the makeup of the Supreme Court and that will begin our downward spiral from which there might not be any recovery!

I'm not backing obama, But he wasen't the president that got us into the mess we are in now. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7[/

Nope. Don't want them either. Kids irritate me.

Thought perhaps so.

Ain't you lucky, no thought for the future. Burn 'em all. Let them deal with it...Nice philosophy....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns
    After 4-8 years of Obama, I don't give us much of a chance. He will forever change the makeup of the Supreme Court and that will begin our downward spiral from which there might not be any recovery!I'm not backing obama, But he wasen't the president that got us into the mess we are in now. Or am I missing something?You obviously missed the point I was making; which was about the make up of the Supreme Court! They can have an affect on the United States much longer and possibly more dramatic than a one or two term President!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Johnnylikesguns
    After 4-8 years of Obama, I don't give us much of a chance. He will forever change the makeup of the Supreme Court and that will begin our downward spiral from which there might not be any recovery!I'm not backing obama, But he wasen't the president that got us into the mess we are in now. Or am I missing something?You obviously missed the point I was making; which was about the make up of the Supreme Court! They can have an affect on the United States much longer and possibly more dramatic than a one or two term President!
    I liked your previous post about the cookies....
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:You obviously missed the point I was making; which was about the make up of the Supreme Court! They can have an affect on the United States much longer and possibly more dramatic than a one or two term President!
    Ah, yes..the Supreme Court.

The same Supreme Court that allowed Private Property to be taken from a landowner..and given over to a business ?

The Same Supreme Court that held that the Second Amendment is merely a privilige ?

There is no deeper pit that can be dug then those two decisions. All that can be done now is wait for the brain-dead to to start being herded into the cattle chutes and inoculated with the Chip..and to the slit trenches.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1

Kids irritate me.

That's because ya'll are too much alike...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:You obviously missed the point I was making; which was about the make up of the Supreme Court! They can have an affect on the United States much longer and possibly more dramatic than a one or two term President!Ah, yes..the Supreme Court.

The same Supreme Court that allowed Private Property to be taken from a landowner..and given over to a business ?

The Same Supreme Court that held that the Second Amendment is merely a privilige ?

There is no deeper pit that can be dug then those two decisions. All that can be done now is wait for the brain-dead to to start being herded into the cattle chutes and inoculated with the Chip..and to the slit trenches.Gesundheit!