In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need advice on purchase

EDHEADEDHEAD Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
a fellow wants to sell me a win model 12 12 gauge he says is ten years old for 200 bucks. is this out of line? thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on the condition.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah. It seems that you have encountered a moral dilemma. Do you give fair price or do you give the price that is asked? I do recall giving a $50 loan to a guy (insert "dirtbag") once who was being held by the Canadian authorities. He gave me his SKS in collateral because I wouldn't part with my money unless I had something to use for leverage. He also told me that he'd probably never be able to afford to buy it back from me since he was trying to move his family out to Michigan. He never attempted to contact me about the rifle and I was tempted to hang onto it. My conscience got the best of me and I hunted him down and got my money back and gave the SKS back to him. It was in excellent condition with a new synthetic stock. You have to do what will allow you to sleep well at night. [This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-27-2002).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ill see it tomorrow evening, that said, he said it was new ten years ago and it wasnt used much,"still in good shape"
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, that should be a "good price" for a Winchester Model 12 12-gauge. A very good deal, in my opinion, assuming the gun is in good shape. There's at least a half century of tradition behind the Model 12, if memory serves. Keep in mind that 10 years on a gun can be very little time indeed, if a gun is decently stored. Look for rust, look down the barrel and see if it looks clean and free of pits, see if it pumps smoothly and sounds good. Ask him why he's selling it. If it's pretty and the bore is good, it's probably worth more than you're going to pay, which is okay. You want to get your money out of it some day too, maybe. There's a 16 gauge Model 12 in our family that was owned by our grandpa in the 40s or 50s that still goes hunting and works fine for birds.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the help. sounded good to me too. he said he bought it for his son to hunt with, but he gave up hunting. did they sell these new ten years ago? im not too familliar with shot guns but it sounded almost too fair and i thought i should seek council. thanks guys
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would imagine this gun is going to turn out to NOT be a Model 12, but a Model 1200, or some variation thereof.The only new Model 12's 10 years ago would have either been Y-series guns left over from the 80's ($750 plus), Custom Shop guns (well over $1000), or possibly the new Limited Edition Grade V (lots of gold, over $1000) which came along in 1993.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com [This message has been edited by AntiqueDr (edited 02-27-2002).]
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking the same thing Antique Dr....I thought the only new model 12's in that time frame were the limited edition Brownings?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Antique Dr: whats a 1200 worth? i dont want to take advantage of anyone, but i dont want to be taken advantage of either.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $200 would be a fair retail price if the gun is in top condition.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com