In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favortism?

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
So I just took a test in Cell and Molecular biology. I didn;t get a good grade. The reason I didn't get a good grade was my own fault, my dad was in town and instead of spending the hours it would of took me to get a good grade I spent the time with my dad. I only see him maybe twice a year. So here is the problem, there were other people in my class that failed the test. They left a certain 15 point question blank, because like me they didn't study. So the teacher the day after the test gave these four people their tests back, said take them home and answer this question. When they brought them back he gave them full credit for the question. I know I am in college and the professor can do what he wants, but this is very unfair. I don't think I deserve a better grade because I wasn't prepared, but these people don't deserve a better grade either. What do you guys think? I know there are some learned people on here, how would you deal with this? I want to make an appointment with the teacher and voice my opinion on this (in a professional way). Should I talk to him or should I just forget it? Thanks-Mark

Comments

• Options
    azzeaterazzeater Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES. I would, but then again, my mouth tends to get me into to trouble a lot. peace!

hey all!
  • Options
    Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
    edited November -1
    Your probably not going to get to take it and redo it unless you do say something... How important is it to you? Gotta speak up for yourself. If he or she has a problem with that, their not much of a person.. IMHO

http://www.tmorg-forums.com/
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You said yourself that you didn't spend enough time studying to make a good grade. You spent that time with you father, who you don't get too see very often. That was the best choice of the two. The other kids getting to make up a portion of the test is unfair, but life is a unfair journey. If it were me I would not say anything. If the teacher realizes that you know what went down, he might hold you in higher esteem if you say nothing. I didn't go to college so I'm not qualied to give you an answer, just my opinion.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had to repair a tuna cargo ship generators From a catastrofic failure with 5M dollars worth of Tuna in the cargo hold It was not my grades or Magna * Laude that helped me do a temporary repair to save the tuna, it was the Knoledge I gained in asynchronous generation and syncronous power systems and its aplications that saved the day ....

The real test is in the field ,did a startup from zero "catastrofic failure" "38,000ton dead ship" in 10 minutes once...

Knoledge, experience, adaptation, improvising and keeping up to date
    more important than grades or diplomas....

One simple Phrase... "PERFORMANCE UNDER FIRE"

JD

Donate to free energy R&D Just Paypall $$$ to:
    arkresearch@hotmail.com
    Intelligence is not measured in paper but in the ability of adaptation and analysis performance in multy-tasking problem solving work....
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I would let the teacher know that I was aware of what went down, and I would darn straight let him no that I wasn't happy about it! Probaly won't do you much good as far as the teacher is concerned, but it's a dog eat dog world! Like the song says ya gotta stand for something or you stand for nothing at all!
    Twenty years from now you won't even remember this incident, but I guarantee you will remember the time spent with your father! I can tell you from experience, that my father and I had some rough times, and we didn't always get along, and I didn't agree with some of the thing he did, but he is gone now and I would give anything, I mean anything to have him back! Oh if we could just go hunting together one more time, I miss that grumpy old bullheaded cuss.
    Enjoy the times you have with family and friends because they are truly the important things in life! Fight for what you believe in, and always put family and friends first, and you will do well!
    Just my two cents take it for what it is worth!
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    It happened to me,my first electronics test in college,teacher said he wanted answers in engineering notation or whatever,I was so nerveous payed no attention!One of the answers I gave was .80 watts which was right but he wanted 80 millwatts.Test had only 10 questions and I made a 40 on it.He let 2 girls change there answers in class and would not let me.I let him know in language I cannot repeat here but to no avail.I must admit their legs did look better than mind.This just made me work harder and 2 years later I graduated and the girls lasted a couple of semesters.I am still mad about it,some things just do not go away.

"It was like that when I got here,I think"
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Hey JD,....add that one to your ongoing resume, "Tuna Savior".

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kirkland:

What favors, pay raises, promotions, benefits or perks someone else receives is none of your business. In this case, your grade is your responsibility, not those other guys. You made your choice, they had nothing to do with it. What they arranged does not impact you one ioata.

My point is, don't look to justify your inadequacy by pointing to a perceived injustice. Get your shoot together and get on with it. You know whose fault it is.

Work hard and take pride in your accomplishment.

Clouder..
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with Saxon to a point, but you will do well to remember this.
    If you really believe that everyone is treated equaly in this world you are gravely mistaken!!

Edited by - pabooger on 11/01/2002 14:36:22
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, I'd talk to the Proff. Then depending on his attitude and the discussion, I would have no problem reporting him to college academic provost. Always best to do these things face to face.

I had to do this once in college myself. I was a junior taking a basic communications class (frosh level) elective. This proff was horrible. I won't go into the long list of problems he had... locking people out of his class, humiliating people, etc. etc. Anyways come end of semester professor evaluations, I took my time filling out my evaluation of him. I in no way insulted him in my written evaluation, only referred to specific instances that happened during class which I thought were inappropriate. Well when it was time to pass them in I noticed he was collecting them himself. Usually, a student will collect them and turn them into the provost's office. One of the girls asked him about this (his taking them himself) he brushed her off saying that he would have no problem dropping them off.
    Well I thought this was strange so I called the provost and asked him if he received my evaluation of this professor. Turns out the professor pulled mine. I went in and talked to the provost. He had me look through the evaluations. Mine was not there.
    I'm sure the provost had some strong words for this guy but I never heard anything of it. This all was at the end of the school year. Next year I came back to school he was still there and overly happy to see me. Thank god I wasn't a communications major. I never took a class form this guy again. I did get my B in the class though.

Opinions are like Ah@les, everyone has one.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds very unfair to me,almost unethical unless he had forgoten about you.I would bring it to his attention.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Seems like the professor should let everyone have
    an opportunity to answer that last question again
    out of fairness. Life aint fair thou. I missed
    graduating with honors, because of a subjective
    paper in one of my nursing classes. The grade I
    recieved a C was based totally on content. It did
    no good to discuss it with this teacher. To this
    day, I still believe she cheated me out of jealousy.
    She was a peace corps nurse, and loved to share in
    class about her wordliness. Unfortunately, I had
    a bunch of missionary friends from different nations
    and would also share. I should have kept my mouth
    shut. This one grade will not effect your usefulness
    in your field of choice. Good advice. I'd let it
    slide. God bless you in your studies. Mouse
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mkirkland, I am in complete agreement with SaxonPig, fair is fair and should be afforded to all.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    lokdok1lokdok1 Member Posts: 383 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mkirkland,
    I didn't go to college, I could have , but blew it, anyway, how much $$$ is this issue going to cost you if you let it slide?

Are you paying for this education the same as the others? If so, then you should get as much for your money as they are getting for theirs. Just my humble opinion.
    Good luck,

Bartman

If you don't know your rights, you dont't have any!
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I'm with Whiteclouder on this one - The world is full of injustice, move on. Don't teach yourself to look for a way out - teach yourself to do what is expected. Now - how much time have you spent b-tching and thinking about this issue - that could have been used as quality drinking time at the local pup (just kidding)!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    faldumfaldum Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mark:
    It will be good for your soul to speak with the professor in a calm and pleasant manner.
    No real need to explain why you didn't do well...simply you tried, and inquire what (if any) options you may have to improve your score.
    The fact you are showing sincere concern might do the trick.
    If this doesn't work out and you can prove disparate treatment, a formal complaint is always an option.
    Should you decide on the latter, the odds of getting a decent grade from this individual will decrease exponentially.
    Regretfully, GPA's and the like (as opposed to true talent..ie Judge Dread)may play a part in your future in an extremely competitive workplace.
    True, you can walk away and forget the whole thing, but I have a feeling deep down inside, a reticent sense of justice is aching to
    be released.
    Follow your heart. And don't look back.
    Good Luck
    Faldum
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree 100% with faldum - it doesn't hurt to make a diplomatic inquiry. It could have been merely an oversight on the part of the prof. If was not, the fact you asked puts him on notice that you are aware of the unequal treatment. Don't burn bridges until final grades are in. If he's being a jerk, hey, burn him when he can't escalate the problem.

The poor grade is your fault, obviously, but there is an issue of fair play in academia. In the real world, too bad, so sad . . . better get used to politics, insecure / inept supervisors, nepotism and favoritism, because they play as big a role in careers as job skills and accomplishments - and often more.
  • Options
    Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask for a meeting. Then very POLITELY state what you know and NICELY ask for the same opportunity. If he refuses, thank him for the consideration. He may refuse, but take it into consideration later as long as you defer. One of my ex wives was a Prof and if you were nasty to her about favoritism you'd be sunk. If you can't get a second chance, study hard the next time. Good luck. It sounds like you got a bad deal.
  • Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tell them you pay his/her salary i'm sure you would get some action then.
    no, i would talk with him/her and see whats giong on they probably had a good reason but if you don't ask it will eat you up inside

chris
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the great advice. I am going to go in on Monday and try and make an appointment with him. I will be professional and see where it takes me. thanks again--Mark
  • Options
    twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Favoritism. He is probably trying to boost the curve. Nail him for it, right is right and wrong is wrong.