In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

spelling and typing..... Forum gripe

2»

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going too go out and shot my new gun today. It's a single shoot, but I don't mind putting one bullet in at a time. You can come to, if you want two. [:D]

Woods. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, JamesRK. You obviously read my post, you even did a C&P. So re-read the third line down, all the way to the right. Second, Ramtinxxl. the patches work about as well as your nicotin ones, I imagine. Also, if you are one of the arrogant, I found several errors in your post. Don't be a hypocrite(sp). I had an English teacher I called Engler (English Hitler). He would probably tear even your papers a new one.[B)]
  • Options
    D. BryanD. Bryan Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I truely believe that most posters on Gun Broker have more important things in mind than proper English and punctuation. That and they are too hyper to take the time to proofread.

Active old guy who lives with two dobermans.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Last time I checked this was not an English or poetry forum[:D]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." -- Will Rogers

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MRBEAN
    First, JamesRK. You obviously read my post, you even did a C&P. So re-read the third line down, all the way to the right. Second, Ramtinxxl. the patches work about as well as your nicotin ones, I imagine. Also, if you are one of the arrogant, I found several errors in your post. Don't be a hypocrite(sp). I had an English teacher I called Engler (English Hitler). He would probably tear even your papers a new one.[B)]

from www.m-w.com:

One entry found for hypocrite.

Main Entry: hyp?o?crite
    Pronunciation: 'hi-p&-"krit
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Old French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
    : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
    - hypocrite adjective

Sorry, little fellow, I don't do nicotine...in any form. Welcome to adulthood.[:o)][;)][:p]
  • Options
    T_RollT_Roll Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoe wut uf wuee count spill rat. Dunt poc un us becuss we is county/Eboneik forlks.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't understand how that pissed you off, but since you are already angry, you misspelled inherited and nicotine, and didn't capitalize Ebonics. [;)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RRiBBBurrp...!

FrpagXQQ!..aw, gee whiz[:0]
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK

I don't understand how that pissed you off, but since you are already angry, you misspelled inherited and nicotine, and didn't capitalize Ebonics. [;)]

If you and Ramtin keep this up, then I believe that the BEAN will grow into a troll. This is halarious![:D]

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

star_wars_kid.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again, JamesRK. I didn't mispell either, I wasn't pissed off (merely pointing it out), and I didn't think highly enough of eBONICS to capitalize it. Ramtinxxl, I read your profile, or what little there is, and I'm curious how old you are (in Earth years, of course). Are you going to tell your're an alien with superior intelligence or something? If so, you should equip your UFO with a better dictionary.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again, JamesRK. I didn't mispell either, I wasn't pissed off (merely pointing it out), and I didn't think highly enough of eBONICS to capitalize it. Ramtinxxl, I read your profile, or what little there is, and I'm curious how old you are (in Earth years, of course). Are you going to tell your're an alien with superior intelligence or something?

Alien, yes. Superior intelligence, no. I am extremely average in that regard. Or something, perhaps.

Re: My age...Old as my tongue, a little older than my teeth. [:D]

Old enough to be yo daddy's brother. [:o)]

Keep reading the posts, friend, you'll figure me out soon enough.

Just having a little fun with ya, that's all. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again, JamesRK. I didn't mispell either, I wasn't pissed off (merely pointing it out), and I didn't think highly enough of eBONICS to capitalize it. Ramtinxxl, I read your profile, or what little there is, and I'm curious how old you are (in Earth years, of course). Are you going to tell your're an alien with superior intelligence or something? If so, you should equip your UFO with a better dictionary.

And YOU find fault with MY dictionary? BTW, it's not a UFO to me...I'm fully aware of the identity of my craft. That you earthlings cannot identify it is NOT my problem. [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well Martin, in a way I can see how we can be considered aliens.[^] If the time comes during our lifetime (I believe you know what I speak of) then they can color us gone.

star_wars_kid.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Older...tongue...my teeth? WTH??! You must be older than my dad because even he (~55) wouldn't say that mumbo jumbo. As for UFOs, don't blame me for the Gov't's inneptitude(sp).LOL
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BEANIE - He said "As old as his tongue, but not quite as old as his teeth." If you know or remember, humans are born with a tongue and not with teeth. Those come later on in life. I'm starting to think he's higher on the Superior intellect then he says he his.

star_wars_kid.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Older...tongue...my teeth? WTH??! You must be older than my dad because even he (~55) wouldn't say that mumbo jumbo. As for UFOs, don't blame me for the Gov't's inneptitude(sp).LOL

Thanks, Beano, you caught my error--I'M SLEEPY and should be in bed right now [|)]--I've corrected my post to read "Old as my tongue, a little older than my teeth." My tongue was with me when I was born--thus it is as old as me. My teeth came in after a few months--so I'm older than them--and considering that I no longer have my "baby" teeth, I'm considerably older than my permanent teeth. It's just a curious saying I used to hear when growing up. It took me a while to figure it out, too, when I was 9.

Like I said, your dad is ~55 (whatever that means) so he and I could definitely be cousins or neighbors even.

Nitey nite. [|)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Perhaps, but cleverness and intellect don't always go hand in hand. BTW don't aliens sleep, I mean my Pele, it's 2:30 in michigan!
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by plains scout
    I blame it all on my phonics teacher. Really. That and I did not learn to type until I was out of college.

Typing skills and good grammar are great things to have, but I have learned more about life from people who barely speak English much less have high writing or typing skills than I have from English professors.[^]

But considering your profession, I'm sure you must see the importance of clear written communication!

I think it's also strange that there are folks on here clamoring about how immigrants who can't speak English will be the death of us all, yet they themselves can't (or won't take the time) to write properly in English.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could give a rats * about about bad spelling, type o's, run on sentences, blah blah blah blah blah, when reading, or writing on this board.
    If its something important, I might use a spell check, I might make sure the grammar is correct, blahblahblahblahblah.

But on the freakin GB board???? Fugedaboudid. Ill just type away with my two fingers and a thumb, , and however it comes out is fine with me.
    I guess I could use the spell checker, but why? Cause some of the ackasses who use the board would prefer it that way??? I dont give a poop about anyones preferences.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It costs so little more to do it right, or at least make the attempt. [:(]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    picture.GIF
    picture.JPG
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of you folks are nuttier than a nutty turd with nuts in it, but that's OK.. [8D]
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ducky
    Some of you folks are nuttier than a nutty turd with nuts in it, but that's OK.. [8D]

You took the words right out of my....uh....nevermind

Ben

logo_chc_79x76.jpg
    Play Ball!!!
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ducky

You said it ducky! Get off your high horses and smell the cow patties. Most of you guys complaining are not exactly shakespeare yourself. The point of the forum is to communicate, emails are not high school essays and in fact the use of proper grammar and punctuation in an internet forum is no refelection on education, intelligence, writing or spelling ability.

I have a degree in JOurnalism, have taught journalism at a major university, have written for the largest newspapers and magazines in this country, make my living writing and editing other peoples' work every day. I dont criticize your writing nor do I take my posts too seriously cause that's not what I'm here for. lighten up.

My professional opinion as to the best writers on this forum;

DWS for Style

Zerodin for clarity and organization

Beantown for attribution and scholarly approach
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    You said it ducky! Get off your high horses and smell the cow patties. Most of you guys complaining are not exactly shakespeare yourself. The point of the forum is to communicate, emails are not high school essays and in fact the use of proper grammar and punctuation in an internet forum is no refelection on education, intelligence, writing or spelling ability.

I have a degree in JOurnalism, have taught journalism at a major university, have written for the largest newspapers and magazines in this country, make my living writing and editing other peoples' work every day. I dont criticize your writing nor do I take my posts too seriously cause that's not what I'm here for. lighten up.

You said it, ducky! Get off your high horses and smell the cow patties. Most of you guys complaining are not exactly Shakespeare yourselves. The point of this forum is to communicate; emails are not high school essays, and in fact the use of proper use of grammar and punctuation on an internet forum is not a reflection of education or intelligence, nor writing or spelling ability.

I have a degree in journalism, have taught journalism at a major university, have written for the largest newspapers and magazines in the country and make my living writing and editing other peoples' work every day. I don't criticize your writing, nor do I take my posts too seriously because that's not why I am here. L[/red][/b]ighten up.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha

You said it, ducky! Get off your high horses and smell the cow patties. Most of you guys complaining are not exactly Shakespeare yourselves. The point of this forum is to communicate; emails are not high school essays, and in fact the use of proper use of grammar and punctuation on an internet forum is not a reflection of education or intelligence, nor writing or spelling ability.

I have a degree in journalism, have taught journalism at a major university, have written for the largest newspapers and magazines in the country and make my living writing and editing other peoples' work every day. I don't criticize your writing, nor do I take my posts too seriously because that's not why I am here. L[/red][/b]ighten up.

No extra points will be awarded for sarcasm.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I aint know who can spell an who canno't, but i have my own problems, they have theres. And your not the one that should be complaneing.

[:)]
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to "lighten up."

We all make mistakes. That's understood.

But there's making mistakes and then there's butchering the English language.

The occasional mix up on "there", "their", or "they're" is to be expected, but when the mistakes are so grotesque as to qualify for functional illiteracy, then someone needs to smarten up.

We're all fond believers in accepting responsibility for your own actions and words.

Well, I'm not going to step lightly around someone who is too impatient to be bothered to spell, punctuate, or communicate properly.

If they have a shortcoming in their education, let them rectify it. God gave us brains so that we may learn and no one (except maybe Jerry Falwell) is incapable of learning.

Respect is earned, not given. Want respect? Want to be taken seriously?

THEN LEARN THE FRIGGIN' LANGUAGE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    I'm sorry, but I refuse to "lighten up."

We all make mistakes. That's understood.

But there's making mistakes and then there's butchering the English language.

The occasional mix up on "there", "their", or "they're" is to be expected, but when the mistakes are so grotesque as to qualify for functional illiteracy, then someone needs to smarten up.

We're all fond believers in accepting responsibility for your own actions and words.

Well, I'm not going to step lightly around someone who is too impatient to be bothered to spell, punctuate, or communicate properly.

If they have a shortcoming in their education, let them rectify it. God gave us brains so that we may learn and no one (except maybe Jerry Falwell) is incapable of learning.

Respect is earned, not given. Want respect? Want to be taken seriously?

THEN LEARN THE FRIGGIN' LANGUAGE.

Preach it, Brother! [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Newspapers are written at the fifth-grade level. Doesn't that say enough about our society?

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Unless a DI gets mad at me.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Newspapers are written at the fifth-grade level. Doesn't that say enough about our society?

Fifth grade is about right. And the spelling, grammar and punctuation in them are impeccable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DWS, does "Headlines" on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno ring any bells? Slips or not, he always has plenty of ammo for the segment.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. Unless a DI gets mad at me.
  • Options
    nomadictaonomadictao Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have pretty relaxed standards as far as on-line posting is concerned. The papers I wrote in college got stellar grades, but that was because each one went through a laborious editing process. Such analfied standards need not be applied to this forum. Spelling and grammer are not good predictors of good ideas, or creativity.

Now having said all this, There is ONE member of this forum that is DRIVING ME UP THE WALL! AHHHHAHJKAIOIOSJIA!!![:0][:p][:0][:p]
    THESE ARE CAPITAL LETTERS. These,,,,,,,,are commas. This (.) is a period. Please put about five or six of them in your post. Thank You.
  • Options
    LaineyLainey Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is this? An episode of Seinfeld...all about nothin'...

You guys are funny, I love to come read what you all write about.

Have a good weekend guys!

Lainey
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    I like misspell'n on purpose, simply because Christ said that it a sin to complain about silly trivial things. Since there is only room in heaven for 144,000 more people it is in my best interest to send as many of you down the wide road as possible.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]Wow, here it is Sat. 4-02-05 and GRAMMER 101-thats ok, because it's a good idea to bring this subject up, so us gun nuts might show a little more care in our postings[xx(][xx(][:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been accused of being verbose and even garrulous to the point of being obnoxious in my verbal communcations. I use too many words and take far too long to get to the point. I fail when I write because I fall into the same trap. I never was this way until I became an MP. MP reports and evidence forms require the use of far too many words to accomplish their purposes compared to their civilian counterparts. The habit was formed. I need to go back and start reading some Hemmingway. Maybe then my sentence structure will get back to some level of sanity.
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    OOPS,.....Wait, ........almost........nope I tried........

there was almost a flash of 'Give a chit' flashing across my countenance for a split second.

Get off me, I'm havin fun.....

[:D]

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's that country song (by Shania Twain I think)? There's a line in that song that is basically the them for the whole song.

"My give-a-damn just broke."