In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody use CARFAX ?

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
Is it worth it ?
The things it tells ya really matter ?
Does it tell if major things have been repaired at dealers or wherever ?

Comments

• Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used it twice, recently bought my Avalanche after carfaxing it. Don't know how accurate it is. Gives you states was registered in, how many owners, any Insurance claims against it, any re-calls, and reported milage at different times in its life. Lots of other stuff too, but costs what, $19.95?? Your call[:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, vehicle history is important. Too many salvage vehicles on the market.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I've used it - it's a great idea! Too many 'problems' out there
    ... both in the form of 'lemons' and jerk sellers/dealerships.
    We actually caught a previous damage on a Ranger we were
    seriously thinking of buying. Upon closer inspection we
    found the tranny case spot welded to the floor! [:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just used it today to verify a purchase off Fleabay. BTW it isn't a bad idea to look over the car prior to giving the seller the $$$. Warranty also helps. You can actually call up a dealer or go visit them with a VIN number and they can tell you all the service or recalls the vehicle has had.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    The Carfax warranty is crap. I bought a vehicle that was declared "OK" by Carfax. A few months later all the paint on the drivers door and fender started flaking off. The speakers blew on the left side and when I took them out the magnets were completely caked with grindings from someone's die grinder.

I read the fine print on the carfax warranty and all they would pay for their mistake of saying the vehicle was crash free was $500 and involved mucho paperwork.

Don't trust Carfax.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...carfax is NOT 100% accuarate, but think about it, the type of info THEY have to gather, compile, next to impossible to get done and done 100% accurate. I know of 2 people that used them to check to see if the vehicals they were buying had been in any accidents,the main reason, Carfax said no. Later each leaned their vehicals HAD been in accidents...one once, the other 2 times!

...Just for accidents, they have to have a pretty high failure to be correct rate...but WHO would ever know, till it was your vehical they were wrong about? I rip the front 1/4 off my truck hitting a tree at the ranch. I take it to Sweatpea, a friend that does body work out of a shop, on his farm and pay for it out of my pocket, Carfax don't know, niether will the buyer...do your own checking with your own mechanic....[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Used it once.The car got a good report.What it didn`t tell me was it had been in a serious accident. Don` use it in place of having your own mechanic giveing it a good look.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    When I was an insurance adjuster, we pulled CARFAX reports to help determine the vehicle's value... if someone's car had been previously declared "Salvage" or had been in some serious accidents, etc. it helped determine proper value.

Also cut out a lot of the B.S. when people would report stolen vehicles, of which almost everyone says they're in "excellent" condition, only to find out that the thing has been in the shop every other week for the last year.

CARFAX is cheap piece of mind. I'd still get a mechanic to check out anything, but CARFAX can help weed out the real garbage.