In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How is your car rated in a crash ...

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
My new Chevy Malibu for frontal is 5star driver 5 star passenger
side impact is 5 star driver 4 star rear passenger 4 star rollover.

www.safercar.gov/

Comments

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    04malibu-s.jpg

""Safety Concern:During the side impact test, the head of the driver dummy struck the upper trim of the top of the window opening, causing a high head acceleration. Head impact events resulting in high accelerations have a higher likelihood of serious head trauma.""

Ouch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But NO saftety concern with side air bags.[:D] Look at your car. Unless it is newer and large I doubt it passes this well on side impact. My 2001 Crown Vic doesn't do as well.
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Side airbags are nice. I was riding shotgun in a 2004 Crown Vic (Police) when a car came hard out of a business driveway and smoked us in the passenger front quarter panel to the tune of $8k damage.

My arm hit the door pretty hard and smarted for awhile, but the side airbag in the seat deployed saving my head from impacting the door window. I did not realize it had even gone off it all happenend so fast.

My wife argues that the head impact would not have fazed me...
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    My wife's brand new Mercedss ML scores 5 stars all around excepting roll overs where it scores a 4. My oldest daughters 2003 Mercedes C-Class scores fours and fives. My youngest daughter's VW Jetta also scores very high marks (fours and fives) for safety. I know that my family is safe but what about the old man? It appears that none of the 2005 Mercedes-Benz S-Class cars were rated so I guess I'll just have to take my chances..
  • Options
    scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    my car is rated at certain death for all speeds above 30 MPH. it does fit under certain SUVs though
    Porsche says
    "Fi you caant drive ze kaw zu deserve do die"
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Element......5 star all around

The Miata.......I really don't want to know what would happen if I hit someone or they hit me.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Used to be a time when the mark of a desired vehicle was style, performance and fun; that the emphasis was on the driving rather than on the hazards of driving; that comparison between a Honda and a Ferrari would be laughable and would not favor the Honda because of crash test ratings. And so it is with every friggin' thing else in America. The emphasis is on safety; we dote on worst case scenarios and let them govern our lives. Our forefathers and the spirit that formed this country have been traded for air bags, trigger locks and increased airport security. And we sleep better because of them. Unfortunately, that sleep is 24/7. Pathetic.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    My Jag XK8 is a conv so in the event of a rollover, I am toast!! Its curtains, for sure!
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I couldn't care less how my rigs are rated for safety. Safety isn't something I even consider when buying a vehicle.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    dunno, with the price of fuel, do me a favour..test it!![:D]

mygwagen.jpg
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Don't even wanna know what the Jeep rates. Don't really care. Its a Jeep. Everything else is really just a wanna-be.
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I ride a motorcycle. Why would I even care about how safe my CAR is?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mond, it said you could withstand a cape buffalo frontal inpact of 38MPH and a side impact of an elephant of 23mph. Rollover will occur if faster on side impact. Side door beams are resistant to .303. [:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lowrider= motorcycle - car. 4 wheel vehicle wins on impact. Motorcycle rates as follows. Frontal impact= ejection ( been there and done that) Side impact = [xx(]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D] yeh, i know the old g wagen is a toughy, rolled it twice can you tell !! he he he [:D] not bad for 20 yr old ,eh!
  • Options
    RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My current S-10 is only frontal rated.

2 star for driver, 3 star for passenger.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Moving to fast to hit, not to worry[:D]