In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stock pond question

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I have aa small pond that we dug about two years ago that has allways been muddy looking, I was hopping it would clear up a little bit (can only see about 1" below the surface)
is it normal for ti take a few years to clear or is it just going to stay muddy.
its a little under a half acre but about 16' deep on the baack part and is stocked with catfish.
I read you can put hay in it to help settle theclay particles.

Comments

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Put an "OTTERBINE" airator in it.[;)]
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats the run off like ? does the water that runs into the pond come off cropland or grassland ? You may need to put in a buffer strip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Put an "OTTERBINE" airator in it.[;)]

this will help settle the clay particles?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Radar
    Whats the run off like ? does the water that runs into the pond come off cropland or grassland ? You may need to put in a buffer strip.

it comes off grassland , the dam still has not got a lot of grass on it and I do have horse's that use it to drink out of.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New small pond without grass equals muddy water. Catfish living on the bottom in the clay isnt helping your cause either. What is the average depth 16' on a half acre is pretty deep and should help? You need to start the viscous cycle of getting grass growing then fighting it back so it doesnt over take your pond. If its only a fishing pond for catfish I would learn to live with dirty water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dbain99
    New small pond without grass equals muddy water. Catfish living on the bottom in the clay isnt helping your cause either. What is a fishing pond for catfish I would learn to live with dirty water.

in the back its 16' Im sure its had a bucnh of settlement and may only be 14' by now.
    it is a pond we dug for the horse's before I moved out there
    but snice it was so deep I wnt ahead and stocked it with catfish and highbred bluegills.
    the catfish are fine but the bluegills feed from site so I would like it to look a little better + it would be nice to look
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    http://www.koifishponds.org/cleaning-muddy-ponds.htm

This site has a few remedies, and not expensive from what I saw..
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    aren`t catfish bottom feeders? i`m sure they are. they would be stirring the mud up all the time!...get rid of them and stock it with something else.
  • Options
    53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Tazzer,

Am very familiar with your problem, as I have been there.

You need to get some pelletised gypsum (from your local agri business or gardening place) and broadcast it over your pond.
    You have clay particles that are sooo tiny they suspend in the water column and never settle.
    The Gypsum will cause the clay particles to attract to each other and clump up at which point they will settle to the bottom of your pond. Takes 2-3 weeks to really get full effect.
    Dan Kelly has a point in regards to catfish as they will stir up the silt that is on the bottom and reduce clarity.
    You can google "farm pond construction" and read about all I have told you and also get much more useful information.

Much luck,
    53hawkeye