In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Nagant 91/30 and M44...............

RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
I remember about a year or two ago it seemed like they were everywhere, and were very cheap. Now I saw a 91/30 at the gun store today for $179. What happened to all of the cheap ones, I know the sources are drying up. Anybody know of a good place to get deals on them?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If you have a Dunham's sporting goods store local, watch the sale flyers.

If not, try J&G sales maybe.
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Raupleminze
    I remember about a year or two ago it seemed like they were everywhere, and were very cheap. Now I saw a 91/30 at the gun store today for $179. What happened to all of the cheap ones, I know the sources are drying up. Anybody know of a good place to get deals on them?

I just bought an M91/30 for $99 in "excellent" condition today along with the ammo tin of 440 rounds for $99, too. Store had several others as well.
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:If not, try J&G sales maybe

+1 on J&G Sales.
    their april/may mailing has M91/30 with hex receivers in very good to excellent condition for $79.95. they come with a bayonet and "other accessories"(usually and oiler and ammo pouch)
    7.62x54R ammo is $85 for a spam can of 440 rounds.
    here's the website. sometimes not everything is listed on the site. call to see what's in stock.
    www.JGSALES.com

hope that helps
    tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No Dunham's around here, I am in Illinois. Where did you find that deal drstroud?
  • Options
    TrupoBPTTrupoBPT Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun stores ALWAYS overcharge on old military beasts. I found an SKS at one and it was $370!!!!! I didn't even look at the mosin nagant. I buy most of mine at gun shows so I can no what I buying and can bargain to make the price right.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought one of each last fall from Dunhams for $69.95 each.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought one at Dunhams last sat for $79.00, with spike baynet, sling, and pouch. No oiler or stripper clips. A lot nicer than the ones I've seen at Gander Mountain, and about the same price you'd get anywhere else.

BTW, were these things designed to be carried with the safety on? Damn near impossible to engage!!

I cleaned all the Cosmoline off, it wasn't too bad. Spent a long time working the bore. Not too bad....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have one of each and they are great range guns. Just a shame to see them go up in price and availability dry up.
  • Options
    Astro MikeAstro Mike Member Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mowenmowen Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got my M44 for Christmas. It costed $100 at Gander. They had M44s for $100 and 91/30s for $150. I havn't seen any mosins there until this week. I did manage to get a really nice M95 Steyr-Mannlicher for $60 when AIM had their last 40 on sale that one day earlier this month.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I don't like about those is that the bolt is hard to turn after shooting a few rounds.
  • Options
    utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Raupleminze
    No Dunham's around here, I am in Illinois. Where did you find that deal drstroud?

Local store here called Gunnies.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen
    I just bought one at Dunhams last sat for $79.00, with spike baynet, sling, and pouch. No oiler or stripper clips. A lot nicer than the ones I've seen at Gander Mountain, and about the same price you'd get anywhere else.

BTW, were these things designed to be carried with the safety on? Damn near impossible to engage!!

I cleaned all the Cosmoline off, it wasn't too bad. Spent a long time working the bore. Not too bad....

I think they were designed to not use the safety at all. That thing is a beast! It is the only part of the rifle that is badly designed. Makes you appreciate the Mauser.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    +1 on J&G I bought 6 91/30's for 65.00 a piece in excellent condition about a month ago.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are still plenty of the re-arsenaled (ie externally refinished) long 91/30 guns around for $100 or less.

Aim surplus has these and so does J&G surplus. There are other sources too.

As far as I can tell, The M44 carbines have effectively dried up.

If anyone knows where I can find one of THOSE (ie other than auction), or the M38 version, please share!
  • Options
    e.allege.alleg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt with my M44 and I think the safety is a good one. I feel confident with the safety on that my gun isn't going to go "off safe" accidentally and fire if a twig hits the trigger or something. I hunt with a 870 express as well and many times I went to push the safety off and it already was. I keep the trigger protected as best I can, but at least with the Mosin with the safety on the chance of an accidental discharge is slim to none.
  • Options
    mowenmowen Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: I feel confident with the safety on that my gun isn't going to go "off safe" accidentally and fire if a twig hits the trigger or something.

I doubt a twig would be able to do the job with such a hard trigger pull.