In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage .17 Integrally Suppressed

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Anyone know of a company that sells integrally suppressed barrels for a savage .17hmr bolt action?

Also, has anyone had any experience with firing a suppressed .17hmr, and if so, how much was the sound reduced.

It's a toss up at the moment between buying a suppressed barrel for my 10/22 or my savage .17. Personally, I'd rather have the bolt action suppressed.

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Ruger 77/17 suppressed by SRT Arms. Doug Melton is the owner, and he does really good work. The only noise I get is really just the sonic crack. He did not port the barrel, because it would take away from the energy of the bullet. I'm sure he could do a barrel for a Savage as well.
    [url][/url]www.srtarms.com[url][/url]

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know of anyone that is currently supressing the 17 h. It would be almost impossible to bring this round to subsonic speeds, therefore you would have the sonic crack. I spoke w Doug Melton at length about possibly supressing a 22 mag and he said that it was not worth the effort or expense. It would be a bit more quiet to shoot but it would still make a lot of noise. Another option might be a .223 can.
    For the price of the suppressor and the goal of stealth I would stick w/ the 10 22. (imho) The weapon is timeless, there are still a load of aftermarket parts to make it shoot even better after it is quiet, and it is reasonable to make it quiet.
    Give Mr Melton a call, the web sight is www.srtarms.com he is a wealth of information and a really nice guy to boot. I am currently awaiting a suppressed Ruger mark 2 he did for me. CAN'T WAIT!! Another web sight to check out is www.prescisionweaponscorp.com talk to Kent he is pretty sharp also. Good Luck. db

I proudly pledge allegience to one nation under God.
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a Savage striker pistol in 17 HMR that I have an AWC muzzle can for. This is also a very quiet gun. No one is ever going to make a 17HMR totally silent, but SRT and AWC have come close. A 223 is not a good option, it is much louder than the 17 HMR.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166