In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why did Gunbroker get rid of the NRA rating system

bangbang Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
I wish they still had the rating system in place. Why did they get rid of it?

Comments

• Options
    adminadmin Member, Administrator Posts: 1,079 admin
    edited November -1
    The antique standards don't fit with modern guns and the modern standards don't fit with antique guns. They both make no sense at all for accessories and other items. At some point it will make a comeback in a better, category specific format.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best guess would be that too many unscrupulous individuals were misrepresenting their wares.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join Gunbroker at this link!

quote:Originally posted by admin
    The antique standards don't fit with modern guns and the modern standards don't fit with antique guns. They both make no sense at all for accessories and other items. At some point it will make a comeback in a better, category specific format.

My best guess was wrong.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by admin

I'd glad to hear that. I liked that feature. Nowadays it seems like many sellers don't rate their used firearms as a CYA tactic and it makes buyers like me uncomfortable. When I put a firearm up for auction I always try to give it an NRA rating.

quote:My best guess would be that too many unscrupulous individuals were misrepresenting their wares.

Seems like it's easier to do now since they don't have to represent them at all.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there were buyers who did not understand the NRA GRADING SYSTEM...

the average person sees NRA GOOD CONDITION and does not realize what the actual level of condition is...

they think GOOD means "good", and they dont realize that includes visible wear on surfaces, safe working condition, not all original (there may be replacement parts), possibly altered, and that there may be pitting and corrosion as long as they do not interfere with proper functioning...

buyers / bidders also did not understand that ANTIQUE arms were classified using the same terms, but different meanings for those items...

they think that GOOD means "good", and dont understand that on an ANTIQUE gun that includes minor replacement parts, smoothly rusted or lightly pitted parts, cleaned or refinished, wood refinished or replaced, repaired wood cracks, etc...

most people using an auction service like GB (the average guy) do not understand the rating system, and have never read the definitions...

there was a lot of dispute over this issue...

some sellers may have taken advantage of this confusion...

i am a fan of the rating system, and its use...

i think that a link you can click on that explains the system, and the differance between modern and antique guns is the way to go, possibly with pictures and notes is the correct way to go...

however, this will always be the root of problems and arguments...

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
    contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    But I have to wonder is no rating more helpful than the NRA rating? If it is not understood, just read up on what it does mean. That is not all that difficult.[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe when they used the NRA grading system it had a link next to it that explained the ratings. I can't remember now.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang
    I believe when they used the NRA grading system it had a link next to it that explained the ratings. I can't remember now.

They did, that's how I learned what the rating system meant specifically.....

FTBennITCMOURN.jpg

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
    Handgun Control, Inc. says they want to "Keep guns out of the wrong hands."
    Guess what?
    You have the wrong hands.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matt45
    Advanced Member
    Posted?-?05/09/2005?:? 12:30:31 PM ? ? ?
    quote:
    Originally posted by bang
    They did, that's how I learned what the rating system meant specifically.....

That'w where I learned about it, too. I say bing it back.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi, just thought I'd bump this. Hope to see it implemented again one of these days.