In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ok Ok OK. I screwed up.

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
I failed to get the collective knowledge of all you kick @$$ gun people before purchasing a gun.

I got the Walther P22 and didn't do my (any) research.

And a few you may have read, it fired out of battery this weekend. So I called up S&W bright and early (took me 4 tries before they opened the phone lines) and all I got was "oh wow" "Sorry to hear that" "Let me get your info and we will send a prepaid shipping label and you can send us the gun for a full test and repair"

No sorry to hear about your glasses, hey let me throw you a magzine for your trouble, nuttin I tell ya.

But I was crazy to think they would have offered anything. I guess I was lucky they answered the phone.

Comments

• Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    If I had a pistol that fired out of battery, I don't think I'd be interested in getting a new magazine.

But throw it and your glasses in the box with the pistol.

You never know, they might send you a new one or at least an "I'm sorry".
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    If I had a pistol that fired out of battery, I don't think I'd be interested in getting a new magazine.

But throw it and your glasses in the box with the pistol.You never know, they might send you a new one or at least an "I'm sorry".

I would not be suprised if they treated you very fairly .
    It would not be in their interest to do otherwise .
    I would also put the messed up underwear in a baggy and include them also ![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree, but the point is, they say hey that's not good, sorry your brand new gun f'ed up on you. Here's a patch. a laser, a decal. something other than we will fix our crap product and not charge you for it.

ya know?

I might send the batf a letter explaining what happened and ask if they could force a recall. I know if my gun will fire with the slide back, others will too...
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Ok, sorry if this is obvious, but what does it mean to "fire out of battery"??
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Most call centers (and I suspect thats who you were talking to) record their phone conversations.

No way on earth are you going to get that type of conversation on a recorded line.

Ask to speak to a manager or supervisor next time. You may have better luck on freebies.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does a gun fire with the slide back?? Did you pull the trigger on a round, it not fire, and you pulled the slice back and the round went off??

If that be the case, it is not the gun's fault but a hang fire.

I guess I messed your earlier post, if you did post earlier. Best. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    Ok, sorry if this is obvious, but what does it mean to "fire out of battery"??

The slide did not go all the way forward for whatever reason. A semi auto is not suppose to fire if the slide is not all the way forward.

Mine fired with about 1/8 inch of brass showing.
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    we can say *

damn you censor happy folks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    How does a gun fire with the slide back?? Did you pull the trigger on a round, it not fire, and you pulled the slice back and the round went off??

If that be the case, it is not the gun's fault but a hang fire.

I guess I messed your earlier post, if you did post earlier. Best. Tom

here's the original post: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=521267

And to answer your question. I don't know. it's not suppose to happen. But in my case, it appears the slide did not have enough force to push the shell all the way into the chamber. leaving it exposed and when it fired, the force blew out the shell casing that was exposed.
  • Options
    PanzerSlayer2PanzerSlayer2 Member Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most cs I deal with don't tell you upfront what is their remedy. I would not be surprised if you got some SWAG upon return of your weapon. They probably don't know what is going on behind the scenes.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have his sort of thing happen to me with the bullets sitting on the seat beside me and a very light package sitting on top of them.

Was a partial box of 22 magnum with the top open. I had been working on the radio and it was on the seat by me, and I guess, touching the bullets.

I heard a loud bang and smelled the powder. Took a few seconds to see what happened but a round had gone off in cartridge holder. The very light radio was sitting on top of the bullets.

It blew the back of the cartridge case, just like yours.

I would guess that somehow your cartridge did not strip/enter the chamber easily enough and the bolt hit it with enough force to fire it. Remember, these are 22's and anything that hits the rim with enough force can fire the round.
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Wikipedia:

"Out-of-battery refers to the status of a weapon before the action has returned to the normal firing position. The term originates from artillery, referring to a gun that fires before it has been pulled back into its firing position in a gun battery.

In artillery guns, "out of battery" usually refers to a situation where the recoiling mass (breech and barrel) has not returned to its proper position after firing because of a failure in the recoil mechanism. Most gun carriage designs should prevent this, however, if a gun is fired out of battery, then damage to the carriage can occur as the effectiveness of the recoil mechanism will have been compromised.

In firearms and artillery where there is an automatic loading mechanism, a condition in which a live round is at least partially in the firing chamber and capable of being fired, but is not properly secured by the usual mechanism of that particular weapon can occur. This can be a dangerous condition because a round fired out-of-battery can result in flame and high pressure gas being vented at the breech of the weapon, where the operators are. This high pressure venting can rupture the cartridge case and deform the frame of the weapon, potentially creating flying shrapnel."

Sounds kind of like you had a "slam-fire." Which could have been due to head-space. But, BTS, and Neal, over on the ATE-side of things, should know a lot more. [;)]

If you want something from S&W, so you'll feel better, tell them! Who knows, you might get it.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That'll teach ya. [:o)]
    I'm sure they will take care of you.

Years ago, 5 to 8, when I worked the gun shop range, had a regular that owned one of them Walther P22's.

He was constantly breaking hammer springs. Had sent the gun back to S&W so many times that he finally just had them send him a bag of a couple hundred hammer springs.

He loved that gun though. Had fabricated a set screw to keep the take down lever locked in place.

Read later on that he was busted by the fuzz for shooting from his basement window (through the back yard) into his garage. Wouldn't be a problem out in the country but he was in down town suburbia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    That'll teach ya. [:o)]
    I'm sure they will take care of you.

Years ago, 5 to 8, when I worked the gun shop range, had a regular that owned one of them Walther P22's.

He was constantly breaking hammer springs. Had sent the gun back to S&W so many times that he finally just had them send him a bag of a couple hundred hammer springs.

He loved that gun though. Had fabricated a set screw to keep the take down lever locked in place.

Read later on that he was busted by the fuzz for shooting from his basement window (through the back yard) into his garage. Wouldn't be a problem out in the country but he was in down town suburbia.

ah yes, while I would NEVER EVER EVER fire my gun in the backyard here in the city limits, I do know that I am very very fond of CCI CB Shorts and Aguila Colbri (no powder) rounds. Just can't seem to keep enough of them in stock.

I have heard good and bad on the P22. Biggest complaint I have actually heard is the slide cracking! But honestly that has to be an issue from long ago... So I hope. I doubt I will be breaking anything with this pos when it gets back home it will probably be trade bait.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Most call centers (and I suspect thats who you were talking to) record their phone conversations.

No way on earth are you going to get that type of conversation on a recorded line.

Ask to speak to a manager or supervisor next time. You may have better luck on freebies.

+1.

The folks who answer the phones are not authorized to make deals or offer up compensation. If you read the warranty it probably says something like repair or replace at their option and that is the best you'll get from them. If you want more, and I am not saying that you don't deserve more, then you need to go over the heads of the phone folks and talk to a manager. The higher ups can make deals and give you something while the rank and file just take your name and number and send out prepaid address labels.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, Thermo, I'm just glad you're ok. [:0]

My wife has a PK380 (similar to the P22) and she loves it, although it is finicky on ammo and isn't like my Bersa when it comes to bang bang every time no matter what.

Beautiful guns though. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    we can say *

damn you censor happy folks

it's an age thing[;)]
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trapguy2007

But throw it and your glasses in the box with the pistol.You never know, they might send you a new one or at least an "I'm sorry".

I would not be suprised if they treated you very fairly .
    It would not be in their interest to do otherwise .
    I would also put the messed up underwear in a baggy and include them also ![;)]

+1
    [;)][:D][:D]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books