In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

unemployed again....

timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
.... that didn't last long. [:0]

Some of you may remember I was offered a shift supervisor position at a placement facility for delinquent youth a few weeks back. Well I began orientation two weeks ago and I was very unimpressed by the administration and the facility.[V]

I had been working with youth for several years and in many different facilities. (same company different programs)

This company however, I just could not bring myself to accept the position. I tried for two weeks to find even ONE positive aspect of the program.[B)][:(]

The staff that currently work there are totally miserable.[:(]
The kids run the entire program and do little all day but fight and listen to rap music.[:(!]
Staff assaults are through the roof.[xx(]
They changed the position and salary 3 times during the last two weeks.[?][:(!]
Training was skipped several days during the two weeks because even the trainer didn't show up. When the trainer didn't show up, the administration put us (trainees) out in the living units because they didn't have enough people to cover the shifts, which is illegal.

I could go on, but I'm sure you all are bored by now![:D]
Needless to say I declined the position today.[V][:(]

rant over

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Nothing against you But we wonder why the world is going to Hell.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is terrible.....I wonder if there isn't someone you should report everything you saw to??? Surely there are some "heads that would roll" if they knew! You may be the very thing that needed to happen....to get that place going in the right direction.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree the laziness of the staff... lack of any structure, treatment, or disipline of the youth was sad really.

and just not something I could bring myself to be a part of tho.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LF,

Here in PA we have the DPW department of public welfare to oversee these types of places, however I'm sure the place was reported numerous times just by what I've seen and heard over the last couple weeks.

Problem is the company was lying about the number of staff working there by adding teachers and administrators to the lists of staff "working" in the units. and it takes numerous violations before the DPW can take action.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jl,

I applaud you for the work you did, I agree it takes a tough mind, I myself am 6'1 or so and about 300lbs. The challange of the job for me was not intimidation either, it was the lack of anything resembling norms or expectations, combine by the fact that the kids had obviously run the place for quite some time, combine with the fact that the administration lied several times to me about pay, position, schedule etc. The whole thing was a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,094 ******
    edited November -1
    What a dam shame,,and these youngsters are the future.[:(][:(][V][V]
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,023 ******
    edited November -1
    I abhor the current juvenile justice system. It is backward. The big facilities are nothing more than warehouses for the incorrigibles.

My solution? Empty the large state facilities. If the inmates truly are incorrigible, certify them as adults and move them into the adult prisons and state jails.

Then, the beds in the juvenile facilities would be freed up to accept kids that mess up the first or second time, the 10-13 year olds, when they are just shoplifting, smoking weed, and skipping school. They are getting in trouble because they have no home structure, no discipline. These kids are the ones that can be saved, and some are, but many just keep going in and out of the system until they end up in the big youth facilities or prison. Once a problem is identified, remove the kid, put him in a structured, supportive environment, and if the family can't get its act together, he is not returned.

It will never happen, but I sure would like to see it.

I would also like to see the "Baby Moses" law expanded to allow parents drop kids, up to four years of age, at a safe location and walk away.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like any other business. As long as the funds, or money keeps coming in no one in managment cares about what is wrong in the work place.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If those guys were taken over by a drill sarg,things would be different...[:D]