In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mold

4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
my daughters bathroom, the tile had gaps in the grout, when she took showers the water was seeping in the wall, the green board got wet, the wife was in cleaning, and she had her hand against the wall, it caved in, from what I saw there was mold, I used some plastic and metal tape and sealed off the wall, hoping it would dry out so I can get in and tear out the bad greenboard, the question I have, is I have heard about mold infecting the whole house if left too it. if I seal off the bathroom, ac vent, close the door and tape the bottom, while I do the work on the wall, do you think I can keep the mold from spreading into the house?

Comments

• Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no expert, but I have never heard such.

Mold could only exist where there is moister, and since your vents are 1 way I would say your mold is going to be limited to the bathroom.

like I said.

I am no expert.
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    IMO there are bad molds, moderate molds and relatively harmless molds. I minimize the exposure, but don't really treat it the same as I would a toxic spill.
    Man has been living with molds, as long as there has been man. Sure there is a chance you'll get into some SDBS (super dooper bad stuff). But gypsum is used as growing medium for some edible molds that actually cost big bucks.
    I've found spraying down the area with a solution of bleach and water kills the vast majority of molds. When the water evaporates it leaves a coating of Chlorine salts, which inhibits their return. There are also some specific anti mold products available.
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't fret over it too much (which is what I usually do). Mudderchuck explained it better than I can. But, yeah, it would be a good idea to wear a good breathing apparatus when cleaning out the mold and try to not let it spread beyond where it already is. Don't let anyone get close to it either.

I believe there are tests kits you can buy at your local home improvement store and I believe it can tell you what kind of mold you have (dangerous mold, harmless mold, etc.) If in the unlikely event you have the dangerous mold, best to have a good, professional company that specializes in mold removal come in and do the job.

But if you have to do it, just get rid of all the mold, and moldy building materials and use a good strong solution of water and bleach to kill as much of the mold as you can. Probably all of us have mold in every room in our house but because most rooms don't have a good, steady supply of moisture, the mold never grows and becomes a problem or becomes obvious to us. I believe mold in found almost everywhere you would care to look with a microscope. The trick is to keep moisture away from it and it usually cannot become (or return) a problem. Let us know how it goes.

Probably should do an internet search for more and better advice.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Done a lot of mold remediation in my day. That being said, every house has mold but it is not active(growing) until you add moisture.

I would remove the green board as neatly as you can and then replace with Wonderboard, Dururok, Hardibacker or some other concrete backer board before replacing your tile. Green board is no more that green sheetrock.

As far as the walls behind the tile I would not use bleach to kill the mold. Bleach is only a temporary fix and the mold will grow back if there is any moisture present. Use a chemical called MicroBan. You can get it at any industrial carpet cleaning supplier. It is very expensive but well worth the cost. Saturate all wooden surfaces behind the tile and let stand til dry. After the Microban has dried paint the entire area with a pigmented primer such as Kiltz or one of the many primers on the market.

After you have completed this procedure then go in and hang your backer board and install tile. Before you use the shower make certain you seal the grout with a good silicone grout sealer.

Have fun. The type of mold that you will encounter in the bathroom is not toxic but will cause irritation to someone with respiratory problems until it is all removed. Probably looks like black velvet right?[:D]
  • Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    been doing bathroom remodeling for 32 years seen it all(well maybe)don't frett it.just take all-walls-out around tub area,clean it with bleach let dry paint with kilz ,slap new wall board (of your choosing)up and tile. i'm still here no health issues(cough cough gag snort gag whizz cough[:D][:D])use bigger tiles less grout joints,use Du-rock cement board from Dal-tile Co. holds up better than hardibacker.the bad mold that hurts you ,you can not see or smell ,but will affeck your respiration immediately when exposed to it.most molds(in bathrooms have been around forever)just demo,clean,resurface,tile,shower,wala!!done. good luck
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    exactly why i hate tile...rip it out & replace with a one or two piece enclosure...we are doing that now to our house in town
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is how I ended up building a new bathroom.

ONE tile pushed in, and I continued the wrecking out. New backer, tile, etc.
    The wife liked the new look, so...

She got a new floor, cabinets, toilet, sink and fresh paint.
    Did it all myself and still spent $1,500 on the whole project.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    after the bleach, use OIL BASED KILZ on everything behind the wallboard and the backside of the wallboard.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run a de-humidifier in there.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What MMOMEQ-55 said!

I wouldn't fret about it too much, as it won't spread to the rest of your home without moisture.

This very thing has happened to a number of people I know.
    Use Durock for sure if you are going back with tile.

I used 'cultured' marble myself to get away from all the grout joints. That is what causes the problem with time.

Also like another poster said,.....all mold is not something horrible. I have been around the stuff for 28 years on occasion in my trade, and I am still here![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner