In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stoned hippies and Free Bird

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
This video, makes me glad that I was only a small child in the 70s and not old enough to have looked like that!

The crowd, most of whom looks to be stoned out of thier gourds don't seem to realize what they are listening/seeing right there on stage. Then when they start to wake up as the song gets faster they look even funnier.

Van Zandt, well to me he looks like a nervous control freak in a way, or maybe the band is just stoned and he is trying to get them to "look alive"

Anyhow, Free Bird, the ultimate Southern Redneck Anthem in my opinion should be retired but the video is really cool. From the stoned crowd to the rythem section and lead guitarist going from a mundane performance to really having a good time on stage makes this a great video.

Free Bird live 1976
http://youtu.be/fuZyMx2NXZM

Comments

• Options
    NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
    edited November -1
    1976 i was 21 and rocking[}:)][}:)][:D][:D][:p][:p], stoned too[;)]

so resemble that remark[:D]

not to long ago still remember the outdoor concerts and kegger parties
    in the early 70's

beer wine pot hash acid wemin[}:)]all that was around then
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw them in July of 1976 at the Fox theater in Atlanta.

One of the top 3 concerts I have been to. I was 17 and I was a long haired redneck.
    RLTW

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up in the 1970's never did get into the drug/drinking thing. I was too busy shooting with the two gun clubs I belonged to.
  • Options
    OMCHamlinOMCHamlin Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    1976 i was 21 16 and rocking[}:)][}:)][:D][:D][:p][:p], stoned too[;)]

so resemble that remark[:D]

not to long ago still remember the outdoor concerts and kegger parties
    in the early 70's

beer wine pot hash acid wemin[}:)]all that was around then

(fixed it for ME!) Da-Gone, those were the dayz... (I think?, I don't really rememb...), oh well, never mind[V] A teenager growing up near Gatlinburg in the 70's, lawdy yeah! [^]
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I always thought "Sweet Home Alabama" was the Southern Redneck anthem![:D]

Both great songs either way![:)]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still like Lynyrd Skynyrd, but never liked Free Bird.

Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
    A southern man don't need him around anyhow...
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I may have been there just do not remember.[8D]
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    went to one of the concerts In 76 I think it was maybe 77 , ( I was around 19 and a not a care in the world )
    Freebird was the last song they played that night the crowd who was still awake and not passed out stood up with there lighters waving in the air ...
    yes I did try and burn my share of grass for a couple years ,had long hair below my shoulders but the concert was my first and was amazing to a small city boy ,
    the fellows out side and in the hall ways announcing there items for sale .. weed// acid , and so on , was a shock
    that no one was worried about being busted passed out people and the arena was so thick with smoke I think you could have got high on just the air in the place
    I only went to two concerts there's and Ted Nugent's several months later .
    just a brief period in my life maybe a year or so
    I loved fast cars and firearms more than anything else so all my extra cash went to them those two bad habits follow me still [:D][:D]
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    I was married and had a kid by then but Free Bird was one of my favorites. I cried when I heard of the plane crash and the loss of The Van Zandt brother and the others from Lynyrd Skynyrd. They were great. One of his brothers had a band call 38 Special and they were also good.
    Thank you for the link.
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a 70s [8D][8][?]. Some great Music-Eagles were about my top choice, but I was a Hunter, Fisher and Trapper and worked in Heavy Construction and Machinery Moving while going to an Institution of Further Learning. It was across the road & tracks from WVIT--- Bennys. Learned a lot. No Drugs, Beer & Bourbon & Good Food.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Graduated high school in 73 , Remember the 70s well .Great music and great times ,never into the drugs but was on a first name basis with Jack and all of the budwiser clydesdales .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okinawa 1978-79 there was a little bar in Kinville that had a band that did a killer Freebird. Think even better than the Original.

And by then the Drugs were gone cause the Marine Corps started to test.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seeing that crowd sitting there has me remembering a few outdoor shows I went to where the sun was brutal. And what I didn't know at the time was that drinking beer or anything with alcohol in it would make it worse. Never saw L/S but I always thought they were outstanding musicians.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,045 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Band
    maria.jpg

This guy could really play. This was an out door concert Battle of the Bands. I was a Bouncer for them on Stage.

lead.jpg

She married the Bass player.

medusa2.jpg

medusa.jpg
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    I was there at the last show at the greenville memorial auditorium.[:(]
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH