In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Aluminum Sign-Do you know what it is from? PIC

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in General Discussion
I found this old sign made of aluminum. I can't find any info on the internet. Does anyone know what it is from ?

Phillip%20Sign_zpsztukw71v.jpg
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Phillip Model.

Don was busy...[8D]
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its only got two holes to hang it with. I'm thinking if it was to be mounted on a piece of equipment, it would have four. A door sign maybe? Something like that or Phillip got tired of keeping it a secret.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******
    edited November -1
    Phillip Scott furniture??
  • Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a 50s vintage Department Store rack sign.

Upscale garments hung on wall racks with wood trim and manufacturer signs mounted to the wood.

Phillip Shott began with raincoats around 1913.
    Modest Princess is a name multiple makers of everything from bridal gowns to outer coats have used over the years.

Lack of corrosion pretty much indicates the casting lived inside a building.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To add to Franz's post.

Phillip also made high end bicycles in the UK during the early mid 1900's.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    I googled it around a bit and came up with a variety of designers versions of "modest princess" style wedding gowns [?]
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also googled it many different ways also. I'm going with the wedding Dresses because of the "Modest Princess". I just found it odd that the sign would be made of Aluminum.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    Franz?Franz? Member Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nyforester
    I also googled it many different ways also. I'm going with the wedding Dresses because of the "Modest Princess". I just found it odd that the sign would be made of Aluminum.

Consider the time frame, 1950s. Aluminum was the novelty metal of the time and bronze was still in short supply thanks to WW-II and Korea munitions needs.

I'd go as far as saying it's cast of a high zink percentage aluminum alloy. If you have a scrap yard with one of the alloy laser guns they can tell you exactly what the alloy is without damaging the sign.