In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Medal of Honor recipient's family turned away

SturmgewehrSturmgewehr Member Posts: 4,420
edited September 2010 in General Discussion
SPOKANE, Wash. -- Family of Medal of Honor recipient Vernon Baker was denied access to the White House's West Wing on Saturday, a day after the World War II hero was buried at Arlington National Cemetery.

Baker's widow, Heidy, and grandson, Vernon Pawlik, 10, were denied entry because the boy was wearing shorts and a T-shirt. His shirt had a picture of his grandfather on it.

A White House Web site doesn't list a dress code, but the family had been invited to tour the West Wing, which houses the president's office and where casual dress is prohibited.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Medal-of-Honor-recipients-family-turned-away-at-White-House-104032604.html

Comments

• Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a slap in the face.[V]

Can't say that I'm surprised, though, considering who currently occupies the WH.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    realspeedrealspeed Member Posts: 6,335
    edited November -1
    you have go tto be freaking kidding me!!!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ordinary American apparel may offend the resident kenyan
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Wonder what Monica was wearing when Slick Willie gave her the TOUR[?][:0]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    the kicker..it was the 10 y.o. grandson that prevented the tour..he's a KID...come on...Staff at the WH needs to use their collective pea brain on this
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

More than likely a face shield.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Breaking new. They made a Mistake.

quote:SPOKANE, Wash. -- The White House has invited the family of Medal of Honor recipient Vernon Baker back for a tour.

The St. Maries, Idaho, family was turned away over the weekend because Baker's 10-year-old grandson was wearing shorts and a T-shirt.

The family was in Washington, D.C., for Baker's burial at Arlington National Cemetery.

A White House spokesman told The Spokesman-Review the dress-code incident was an unfortunate misunderstanding.

A White House website doesn't list a dress code, but the family had been invited to tour the West Wing, which

Must have see a picture of Mr Baker. He is Black.

The family was only able to make the trip thru donations from their community. How the hell they supposed to make the trip bake now. Day Late and a Dollor short on the White House.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Real reason was that the Kid was WHITE - Obozo's minions didn't do due diligence when they thought they were inviting a Black man and his Family to the Impostor's House for Photo Op. Kid could pass for white, and they didn't want that in the Pics.

"Post-Racial" Ruler, My aching Poseostezus!
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Wow His Medal Of Honor Citation.

quote:For extraordinary heroism in action on 5 and 6 April 1945, near Viareggio, Italy. Then Second Lieutenant Baker demonstrated outstanding courage and leadership in destroying enemy installations, personnel and equipment during his company's attack against a strongly entrenched enemy in mountainous terrain. When his company was stopped by the concentration of fire from several machine gun emplacements, he crawled to one position and destroyed it, killing three Germans. Continuing forward, he attacked an enemy observation post and killed two occupants. With the aid of one of his men, Lieutenant Baker attacked two more machine gun nests, killing or wounding the four enemy soldiers occupying these positions. He then covered the evacuation of the wounded personnel of his company by occupying an exposed position and drawing the enemy's fire. On the following night Lieutenant Baker voluntarily led a battalion advance through enemy mine fields and heavy fire toward the division objective. Second Lieutenant Baker's fighting spirit and daring leadership were an inspiration to his men and exemplify the highest traditions of the Armed Forces.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I was his family I wouldn't want to see the current POS in the White House anyway.

KC
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong

Probably a cream colored dress.

Seriously-

If that was the reason they were not admitted, there is something very wrong.

If the president was any kind of man, he would have walked out there himself and invited them in.

Some of the outfits I've seen the first lady wearing when she exited air force one were pretty casual and she can afford to dress well.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BoltactionMan
    If I was his family I wouldn't want to see the current POS in the White House anyway.

KC

+1
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to play devils advocate here...when you are going to visit the white house, common sense and decency would suggest that you dress appropriately, shorts and a tee shirt, even for a 10 year old, shows a lack of respect for the surroundings. You don't have to respect the current resident of the white house, but you should respect the history that has taken place inside those walls.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap...dude led his troops through a minefield while getting shot.

Dude had some seriously big gonads! Bravo Zulu on him! We need more with his bravery!
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    This family has more of a right to be in the west wing of the white house than the obamas do.
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    This family has more of a right to be in the west wing of the white house than the obamas do.
    Why? Because a relative of theirs performed a heroic act?

Come on, seriously I've met more than a couple of recipients of our highest "valor" medals who were all but hated by many members of their units. That's the odd thing about acts of valor IMHO, it can take a very selfish man with an incredible will for self-preservation and elevate him to the same level as a man who cares as much for his fellow soldier as any othter living soul.... the difference is truly a personal matter, is it not?

NS
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    Before long someone will gather enough people to drag him out of the white house and back to kenya where he belongs