In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nunn-can you identify this snake?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
Seen this morning...

Black or very dark brown with either one or two narrow yellow stripes running almost the length of the body, 10 in. long, no more than the diameter of a pencil and capable of detaching the end of it's tail like a lizard.

Comments

• Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tommyjoe
    Not Nunn here, but sounds like a glass snake- member of the lizzard family Tom

Never seen one but just read up on them they are different.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Texan Saber Toothed Water Rattler... Kill it!
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I believe glass snake is correct.

The wife was freaked out by it and when I snatched the thing up it shed it's tail. That was a new one on me.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Their known as "Glass Lizards" here in Fl.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    It's a lizard, all right, not a snake. Legless to be sure, but a lizard. Look on the side of its head for the ear openings. Snakes don't have them.

I think they are not real common around my area anyway. I have never seen one outside a zoo.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like Bob
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    glass lizards are relatively uncommon in the mid-west where I grew up. I believe they are relatively uncommon in most areas, but they are rather secretive too. They feed primarily on insects, but will also take other lizards and juvenile mice etc. There is a species in southern Europe that is called the sheltopusik which can reach nearly 40 inches. They eat grown mice.