In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tell me.......

k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
How can you be so sure that your prayers are heard? How do you know that there's a being that has the power to hear them? Show me.

Comments

• tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah well, that seems to be the question that has perplexed the masses throughout the ages, my friend. You can take the position of: yeah, you see....you can't prove it. And on the other hand, how about you prove with absolute certainty, that they are not heard? I think you'll find that what can be proved for sure is that there are many better things to do with your time then to chase chicken/egg scenarios thru the recesses of your brain.
    Hey, if you like to pray, do it. If you don't like it, forget about it. Let me ask you something KT, do you ever volunteer your time or do some type of community service (and, no...not the one the judge told you to do!)at all? The point I'm trying to make is that if you do, hopefully, it is just to do it, and not because you are expecting something in return. You just do it, to do it. And maybe a byproduct of doing it is a positive feeling internally. Well, maybe it's the same kinda thing. Or, maybe I'm just some pathetic *-nozzle who is up way too late and should just go to the kitchen, pour myself a nice tall glass a shut the hell up, and go to sleep! Either way, best of luck! ;-)
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use registered mail.[;)]

AT
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Request a read receipt.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well spoken tpac.
  • Saxon PigSaxon Pig Member Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is no God then prayers are useless but cost nothing.

If there is a God then prayers might help and still cost nothing.

You are not required to believe.

Doing so costs nothing.

Not doing so might cost everything.

I don't know all the answers. Nobody does.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you could just ask Him yourself. [;)]
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Saxon Pig
    If there is no God then prayers are useless but cost nothing.

If there is a God then prayers might help and still cost nothing.

You are not required to believe.

Doing so costs nothing.

Not doing so might cost everything.

I don't know all the answers. Nobody does.

Bingo.
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tpacuriosity
    Yeah well, that seems to be the question that has perplexed the masses throughout the ages, my friend. You can take the position of: yeah, you see....you can't prove it. And on the other hand, how about you prove with absolute certainty, that they are not heard? I think you'll find that what can be proved for sure is that there are many better things to do with your time then to chase chicken/egg scenarios thru the recesses of your brain.
    Hey, if you like to pray, do it. If you don't like it, forget about it. Let me ask you something KT, do you ever volunteer your time or do some type of community service (and, no...not the one the judge told you to do!)at all? The point I'm trying to make is that if you do, hopefully, it is just to do it, and not because you are expecting something in return. You just do it, to do it. And maybe a byproduct of doing it is a positive feeling internally. Well, maybe it's the same kinda thing. Or, maybe I'm just some pathetic *-nozzle who is up way too late and should just go to the kitchen, pour myself a nice tall glass a shut the hell up, and go to sleep! Either way, best of luck! ;-)

I sacrificed 2 years of my life serving this entity you call GOD. I was not paid for anything that I did. I was physically, and verbally abused by those whom I thought I was trying to help. I suffered many hardships within that 2 year period. I thought I was doing what GOD wanted me to do. Meanwhile, at home, my mother tried to commit suicide and my baby brother got his girlfriend pregnant and dropped out of high school to marry her. I should have been home taking care of family, not wasting my time on people who didn't give a dying rats * about me. I prayed for my family, yet nothing seemed to improve. This GOD and CHRIST seemed to care less about me than the people I was trying to help.
    I gave up everything in my life, for 2 years, to be a servant of the LORD. What good did it do me? NONE! So don't try and tell me that being a follower of JESUS is going to improve my life! That's a load of BS! BTDT!
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by k_townman
    quote:Originally posted by tpacuriosity

I sacrificed 2 years of my life serving this entity you call GOD. I was not paid for anything that I did. I was physically, and verbally abused by those whom I thought I was trying to help. I suffered many hardships within that 2 year period. I thought I was doing what GOD wanted me to do. Meanwhile, at home, my mother tried to commit suicide and my baby brother got his girlfriend pregnant and dropped out of high school to marry her. I should have been home taking care of family, not wasting my time on people who didn't give a dying rats * about me. I prayed for my family, yet nothing seemed to improve. This GOD and CHRIST seemed to care less about me than the people I was trying to help.
    I gave up everything in my life, for 2 years, to be a servant of the LORD. What good did it do me? NONE! So don't try and tell me that being a follower of JESUS is going to improve my life! That's a load of BS! BTDT!

I sympathize with you on all levels, and I am not trying to be a smart-a, but how is it God's fault that your mother tried to commit suicide and your brother got a girl pregnant and dropped out of school. Could it possibly be their fault?
    edited November -1
    I sympathize with you on all levels, and I am not trying to be a smart-a, but how is it God's fault that your mother tried to commit suicide and your brother got a girl pregnant and dropped out of school. Could it possibly be their fault?

I fervently prayed for my family members, and NOTHING happened. I put my life on hold for 2 years, and I got no help from HIM when I needed it most. That's what leads me to believe that there is nothing but empty space 'out there.'
    edited November -1
    God always answers our prayers, although He sometimes says "No". Once again I am sorry about your mother and brother. How are they doing now?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oklahoma223
    God always answers our prayers, although He sometimes says "No". Once again I am sorry about your mother and brother. How are they doing now?

Just fine, thank you.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    Because He promised to hear.

But you will only come to Him on His terms, however.

And there will be only one prayer that He will hear, for now.

I think.

You make less sence than those damned Mormons. [8]
    edited November -1

Just fine, thank you.

There you go. His timing was just different than what you thought it should be.
    edited November -1

HIS? HE? HIM? This person you keep referring to, is nothing but an illusion of your brain-washed psyche. PERIOD!
    edited November -1

HIS? HE? HIM? This person you keep referring to, is nothing but an illusion of your brain-washed psyche. PERIOD!

Speaking of PERIOD, you sound like you could be on yours.[:D]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    k_townman, It appears to me you have misunderstood the whole concept, but that's up to you.

The early Christians prayed and they were eaten by lions, and worse. Look what happened to Job. If you're looking for Santa Claus you won't find him in the Christian religion.

Be that as it may, I stand by what I have said on these forums before. When people post religious questions they are not looking for answers, they are looking for arguments. When people reply to those religious questions, they are accommodating the questioner.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1

Speaking of PERIOD, you sound like you could be on yours.[:D]

Did the christians teach you to respond like that?
    edited November -1
    I'm just saying you sound grouchy. Are you disputing that?
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KT...I certainly empathize with your situation and as frustrating as it is, there really isn't an easy or quantifiable explanation. It does sound though, like you expected "a pass" from personal issues based on the fact that you were dedicating your time/self to improving the lives of others. Again, if you do things like that with the expectation that you are "earning credits" of some sort for your own life, you are setting yourself up for tremendous disappointment. Old sayings don't come to be for no reason and things like "life sucks", "life's a bit...", "life isn't fair", life is hard", come to mind. Sounds like you are trying to deal with the "why are we here?" issue that we are all stricken with at times. Yeah, it would be nice to know that there is more of a purpose then just birth-live a while-death. Who knows? I have found that employing the "if you can't change the situation, change your attitude about it" philosophy can be helpful from time to time, but there simply isn't an easy answer. Like many, I'm unclear about the origins of life and Gods plan, identity, or even existence. Again, who really knows for sure? NOBODY, that's who! GO out and enjoy yourself. Find some things you like to do and do 'em!
    So, if you'll excuse me, I `m going to go draw a warm bath and open a fresh pack of razor blades now that I've depressed myself with way too much thought.! (nah...maybe not!)
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    k_townman, It appears to me you have misunderstood the whole concept, but that's up to you.

The early Christians prayed and they were eaten by lions, and worse. Look what happened to Job. If you're looking for Santa Claus you won't find him in the Christian religion.

Be that as it may, I stand by what I have said on these forums before. When people post religious questions they are not looking for answers, they are looking for arguments. When people reply to those religious questions, they are accommodating the questioner.

I just want some pulpit pounding, bible thumping, knee bending, CHRISTIAN to prove, beyond any doubt, their beliefs to me. There is the challenge. I have thrown down the gauntlet.
    edited November -1
    I'm just saying you sound grouchy. Are you disputing that?

No. I think I'm one step beyond grouchy. [:(]
    edited November -1
    I have those days to. Hang in there.
    edited November -1
    Beliefs are just that and they cannot be proven or disproven. I do not have a religious bone in my body, but I do understand and respect those that do. I would think that an omnipotent being would operate on their own schedule and terms and it may be many years before the reasoning reveals itself. It will all work out in the end Scott.

AT
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    God cant force people to behave in the manners you so wanted with your family. He can send help in ways we dont understand and some we do. In the end it is our agency that dictates our behaviour. If you remember Jesus is all about Agency and Satan was all about forcing us. Im sorry for that your family had such trials, But I wonder how bad they would have been had God not been trying to help them.
    Trying to convince someone about faith and God is like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone and expect them to know what it is until they taste it for themselves. the great thing about Christ is its never to late
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    Beliefs are just that and they cannot be proven or disproven. I do not have a religious bone in my body, but I do understand and respect those that do. I would think that an omnipotent being would operate on their own schedule and terms and it may be many years before the reasoning reveals itself. It will all work out in the end Scott.

AT

Sometimes I feel like I took it in the 'end.' [:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    God cant force people to behave in the manners you so wanted with your family. He can send help in ways we dont understand and some we do. In the end it is our agency that dictates our behaviour. If you remember Jesus is all about Agency and Satan was all about forcing us. Im sorry for that your family had such trials, But I wonder how bad they would have been had God not been trying to help them.
    Trying to convince someone about faith and God is like trying to describe the taste of salt to someone and expect them to know what it is until they taste it for themselves. the great thing about Christ is its never to late

WOW, with friends like that (GOD), who needs enemies? [B)]
    edited November -1
    I just want some pulpit pounding, bible thumping, knee bending, CHRISTIAN to prove, beyond any doubt, their beliefs to me. There is the challenge. I have thrown down the gauntlet.

That may not the stupidest thing I've read on these forums, but it has to be in the top two.

If it could be proven it wouldn't be a matter of "belief" and "faith". I probably can't prove to your satisfaction that I believe what I believe, much less what I believe is true.

If you are really that ignorant, my advice would be to stop bragging about it.
  • SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Just out of curiosity, does your Mom and Brother blame God for what they did?
    edited November -1
    We have all had those days and it is solely up to you how you deal with them and Jesus may or may not be the way for you.

AT
    edited November -1

That may not the stupidest thing I've read on these forums, but it has to be in the top two.

If it could be proven it wouldn't be a matter of "belief" and "faith". I probably can't prove to your satisfaction that I believe what I believe, much less what I believe is true.

If you are really that ignorant, my advice would be to stop bragging about it.

You would be surprised how many "good" church-going folks have said almost the very same thing to me. "If you don't believe in God and Christ, like I do, then you must be an ignorant savage."
    Does it comfort you to know that you fit right in with the rest of the self-righteous christians? Thank you for your 'heart-felt' concern. [:p][:X][V]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    Just out of curiosity, does your Mom and Brother blame God for what they did?

They no longer attend any church. Does that answer your question?
  • 00buck00buck Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K Townman,

So were you forced to go on a mission or did you go on your own free will and choice?
    Sounds like you have been offended by someone and blaming god for it.
    Maybe if you would have served more faithfully on your mission your family would have been blessed more, or maybe they were blessed from other things happening to them.

Come on K Townman - you know you can't prove any religion or if there is a god. That is up to you to decided. But it sounds like your heart is too full of anger and rage to want to know anything.

Where did you serve your mission at anyway?
    edited November -1
    I am sorry for being a smart-a#$. If there is any way I can help you e-mail me. Jeff
    edited November -1
    You would be surprised how many "good" church-going folks have said almost the very same thing to me. "If you don't believe in God and Christ, like I do, then you must be an ignorant savage."
    Does it comfort you to know that you fit right in with the rest of the self-righteous christians? Thank you for your 'heart-felt' concern. [:p][:X][V]

That's not what I said, and you know it.

If you find it necessary to twist my words to what to wish I said, then you don't need more that one person to have a conversation. I hope you get the answer you are looking for from you, because you are the only person you are listening to.
    edited November -1
    We have all had those days and it is solely up to you how you deal with them and Jesus may or may not be the way for you.

AT

What planet are you from? You make more sence than the rest of these yahoos, put together. Thank you.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1

The guy appears to be becoming a wannabe troll.

Sad.

I will pray for him.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 00buck
    K Townman,

So were you forced to go on a mission or did you go on your own free will and choice?
    Sounds like you have been offended by someone and blaming god for it.
    Maybe if you would have served more faithfully on your mission your family would have been blessed more, or maybe they were blessed from other things happening to them.

Come on K Townman - you know you can't prove any religion or if there is a god. That is up to you to decided. But it sounds like your heart is too full of anger and rage to want to know anything.

Where did you serve your mission at anyway?

Sounds like you're a Mormon, or know alot about them. You know the answers to your questions. I said that, at the time, I felt like I was doing the right thing. Since then, I've felt like a fool. I wasted 2 years of my life!
    I was in Los Angeles.
    edited November -1

AT

What planet are you from? You make more sence than the rest of these yahoos, put together. Thank you.

I am from the planet Texas. I don't preach my religious beliefs or lack there of to my own children and I sure as hell won't preach them to someone else. I live my life according to what I think is proper; not in accordance with someone elses translation of a book. Some of my values come from the bible and some don't. I take what makes sense and discard the rest. I have blind faith in nothing.

AT
  • 00buck00buck Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it nice to know that our eternal salvation is up to each individual person.
    And that we have the free agency to make our own choices.

Plus it is good that K Townman is questioning his own religion or his own beliefs so he can later learn from his weaknesses.

First comes pride ( I can do it all on my own )
    The comes humility ( I can't do it on my own )
    Then comes repentance and forgiveness.

It's a never ending cycle but hopefully we improve and learn each time we fall.

Church is like a hospital for sick people. I am far from perfect and that is why I go to church.

Good luck k townman.