In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Weapon VS Firearm"

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in General Discussion
I got into a beef with a seller who wanted to call his item a weapon, and I suggested that not all the GB members would think that appropriate, as it may p**s of the next POTUS, and he was very sarcastic in his reply.
What do the rest of you members think?
Bill Jordan

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than to have a frontal lobotomy."

Comments

• Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I think he's one of those weird little commando-wannabes who has to martialize everything he comes across and that he should grow up and call it a firearm.

A firearm can be both a weapon and tool, but a weapon, by definition, is only a weapon.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was he from Waco?
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    I think he's one of those weird little commando-wannabes who has to martialize everything he comes across and that he should grow up and call it a firearm.

A firearm can be both a weapon and tool, but a weapon, by definition, is only a weapon.

hey what do ya know. i agree with you on this one[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joshmb1982,

[8D][:D]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I believe in the philosophy of "respect me..leave me alone...or fear me".

It is pretty obvious that there is a huge part of this present culture that respects NOTHING...NOT ME , NOT YOU, NOT EVEN THE CONSTITUTION...and they seem determined to not leave me alone.

Therefore...if using the word `weapon' causes them to fear...I will use it.
    What you boys think about it is a matter of indifference to me.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    weapon/#712;w#603;p#601;n/-noun 1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

so, if you're willing to extend the definition of combat to include the killing of animals, then firearms(target guns excepted) are unquestionably weapons; since they are used to attack adversaries and animals, and to defend yourself from the same.

some people think that its an inflammatory term. but, by definition, its a perfectly valid term.

now high capacity, assault weapon, these are the terms we need to get rid of. there is no such thing as high capacity. there is merely full capacity and reduced capacity and anything can be an assault weapon, but only after you assault someone with it.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    I think it was none of your beeswax what he wanted to call whatever he was selling, unless he called it something like "The Gun Bill Jordan (No Not That One) Used To Commit An Illegal Act."
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    How would a firearm be a weapon if all you did was shoot trap with it?
    Might as well call it a toy also.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I call my handguns, designed for killing people, weapons. That's what the Army taught me. My .22 target rifles, and pistols, I call firearms.

I think your seller was hung up in the whole, 'This is my weapon, this is my gun' thing. Probably a former Marine, maybe Army.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its his dime. he paid for the ad space.

but as i see it...and this goes for ANY dangerous item, its not a weapon until its pointed at a living thing with the intent to do harm.[;)]

until then, its a knife, fork, spoon, candle stick holder, car, pistol, etc...
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two cents worth: It's a firearm until it's used as a weapon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Many people wet their pants when they hear the word 'weapon'

Good enough for me.

Perhaps they will get the courage up to ban ALL weapons.
    Then we will see what we shall see....

.22 pistols were used as primary weapons in the tunnels.
    A skeet gun can and will repulse invaders...if used by a determined man.
    Mindset is the difference between a weapon...and just another pencil.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBMJR1
    Personally, I call my handguns, designed for killing people, weapons. That's what the Army taught me. My .22 target rifles, and pistols, I call firearms.

I think your seller was hung up in the whole, 'This is my weapon, this is my gun' thing. Probably a former Marine, maybe Army.

That makes NO sense at all. A gun is a gun, a firearm is a firearm, a weapon is a weapon, ect is ect. If any firearm is weapon based on your description then ALL firearms are weapons as your ".22 target rifles, and pistols" are JUST as able to "kill people".
    So by your definition my "target" AR is not a weapon as it was designed for target shooting but my A2 is a weapon? Is that correct?

XXcross nailed my thoughts on it.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18
    weapon/#712;w#603;p#601;n/-noun 1. any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

so, if you're willing to extend the definition of combat to include the killing of animals, then firearms(target guns excepted) are unquestionably weapons; since they are used to attack adversaries and animals, and to defend yourself from the same.

some people think that its an inflammatory term. but, by definition, its a perfectly valid term.

now high capacity, assault weapon, these are the terms we need to get rid of. there is no such thing as high capacity. there is merely full capacity and reduced capacity and anything can be an assault weapon, but only after you assault someone with it.

Maybe tomorrow you'll look up COMBAT.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    but as i see it...and this goes for ANY dangerous item, its not a weapon until its pointed at a living thing with the intent to do harm.[;)]

until then, its a knife, fork, spoon, candle stick holder, car, pistol, etc...My thoughts exactly.

Truth is, 'weapon' is improper nomenclature for a firearm until it's used as such.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,441 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Bet he has a lot of "Tactical" crap too.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some of us call it a weapon, piece, rifle or pistol. The military drummed it into us that that was the proper name- guns were cannon, machine guns, and shotguns. Some old habits die hard. So do you drive a car- or an auto? Want that put into a bag- or a sack? Thirsty- have a soda- or a pop. It REALLY don't matter- people that want to outlaw firearms don't need us to give them reasons- they will make up their own.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firearms can be weapons, but weapons ain't necessarily firearms. Firearm is more descriptive as a generic term.

Revolvers are pistols. Pistols ain't necessarily revolvers. (Revolvers can also be rifles).
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    Bet he has a lot of "Tactical" Tacticool crap too.

Fixed it [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    chaosrobchaosrob Member Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My humble opinion is that people get too caught up in terminology.

Everyne has a difference in opinion as to what a particular item should be called. Take for example "sports car". Some people think a mitsubishi eclipse is one while others believe it has to be a challenger, corvette, or camaro.

If it offends people that bad it is a sign that they have more issues that they should deal with, and probably not be reading a gun auction
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    Personally, I think you stuck your nose in someone else's business. Who cares who it peeves off? Guy can call it whatever he wants, it is his ad.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I know a weapon when I see one.
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaosrob

Everyne has a difference in opinion as to what a particular item should be called. Take for example "sports car". Some people think a mitsubishi eclipse is one while others believe it has to be a challenger, corvette, or camaro.

If it offends people that bad it is a sign that they have more issues that they should deal with, and probably not be reading a gun auction

Gotta agree with Rob on this one.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's his property until he sells it...What gives you the right to force him to call it what you want it called...Until it's yours...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob

Well normally I would agree but the term "weapon" vs "firearm" has a hugh effect on the way people view them. If you call a car by the "wrong" name is does not have social implications. By naming firearms "weapons" or other "evil" terms makes people who have NO clue think these metal items really are "evil". As the Libs know WORD ARE POWERFUL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob

Well normally I would agree but the term "weapon" vs "firearm" has a hugh effect on the way people view them. If you call a car by the "wrong" name is does not have social implications. By naming firearms "weapons" or other "evil" terms makes people who have NO clue think these metal items really are "evil". As the Libs know WORD ARE POWERFUL.

You can read anything into any word you want. I prefer not o tiptoe around and pretend to be politically correct to appease those who have no respect for me, or my beliefs
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it shoot a projectile??? If YES, Then it's a Firearm. A weapon is anything that can be used to hurt someone else. LIke my wife's Pancakes.......

You DON'T want to know. There's a cop in Gatlinburgh that is STILL looking for us....
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Don't matter at all.
    It's application that counts, not the object.

..another slow night
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    How would a firearm be a weapon if all you did was shoot trap with it?
    Might as well call it a toy also.

did you miss the part where i said "target guns excepted"

quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

sure.

combat:
    1. to fight or contend against; oppose vigorously: to combat crime.

the subject: the continued life of an animal.

your postion: you want the animal dead so you can eat it.
    the animals position: they want to remain alive so that you cant eat them.

definatley sounds like something regarding fighting or contention, also something the animal would tend to oppose vigorously.

your response sir?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Time for me to sell all my guns with "combat" in their names from the factory. Combat commander is gone, California Combat Python is gone as well. Time to sell these firearms.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He was just some guy that wanted to sound impressive. Like a LOT of people in these threads.

As for the difference. It all depends on the person holding it and what his intentions are.
  • Options
    slackmasonslackmason Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nascarbumnascarbum Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A firearm is a "tool" and is categorized by ones "intent.
  • Options
    ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    I got into a beef with a seller who wanted to call his item a weapon, and I suggested that not all the GB members would think that appropriate, as it may p**s of the next POTUS, and he was very sarcastic in his reply.
    What do the rest of you members think?
    Bill Jordan

If the "item" can be used as a weapon, then why not call it a weapon. I'm not one to get prissy over handgun, pistol, gun, gat, etc. terminology. Worrying about what Obama is pissed off about is real low on my priorities. I would say there are more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    I believe in the philosophy of "respect me..leave me alone...or fear me".

For that quote alone, how about I just laugh at you?[}:)]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

sure.

combat:
    1. to fight or contend against; oppose vigorously: to combat crime.

the subject: the continued life of an animal.

your postion: you want the animal dead so you can eat it.
    the animals position: they want to remain alive so that you cant eat them.

definatley sounds like something regarding fighting or contention, also something the animal would tend to oppose vigorously.

your response sir?

Were an animal to understand they were in a COMBAT situation, I would expect you would be correct. I don't fight against what I hunt. When I have the opportunity, I dispatch it.

Lets try a mainstream dictionary like Merriam Webster shall we?

Main Entry: com?bat
    Pronunciation: \#712;k?m-#716;bat\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Anglo-French, from combatre to attack, fight, from Vulgar Latin *combattere, from Latin com- + battuere to beat
    Date: 1546

1 : a fight or contest between individuals or groups

2 : conflict , controversy

3 : active fighting in a war : action <casualties suffered in combat

Now, if you truely fight or contend against, let's use an Antalope as an example, and inform said animal that you are engaging them in combat (you can simply stand up and shout this information to them), I contend that you will lose each and every time. I'd pay good money to see you engage in COMBAT with a Bull Elephant or a Rhino.

I suspect that what you are engaging in when you claim to be in "Combat" against animals is actually classified as Assassination.

Main Entry: as?sas?si?nate
    Pronunciation: \#601;-#712;sa-s#601;-#716;n?t\
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): as?sas?si?nat?ed; as?sas?si?nat?ing
    Date: 1607

1 : to injure or destroy unexpectedly and treacherously

2 : to murder (a usually prominent person) by sudden or secret attack often for political reasons
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    At our Club and range, we give instruction in all phases of firearms use, from basic hunter courses to consealed, personal protection, and home defense. We prefer not to use the word "Weapon" especially when I am working with the younger set (10-17) years old.. If a reporter from one of the local anti gun papers comes around and hears the word "Weapon" right away we are teaching our youngsters how to use "Weapons to Kill"

We refer to them as what they really are (anything can be a weapon) so we call them shotguns, pistols, rifles, sporting arms, or just plain firearms.. the word weapon leaves negative thoughts in a lot of peoples heads..[:(]
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    An M1-Garand is a weapon, it was designed for combat.

A 22 rifle is an instructional/practice/recreational/competition tool, it was not designed for combat.

A short barreled (18") shotgun is a weapon, inteded for combat (primarily in self defense)
    A shotgun designed primarily for hunting is not a weapon.

In my opinion, it is always a weapon if it was intended as such.
    It is a weapon if it is temporarily used as such -

a pencil can be a weapon if used as such.
    An authentic Samurai sword used to clear vegetation like a machette, is still a weapon.

Playing the "happy sounding name game" is admitting defeat.

Yes, I think people have a right to own "assault" rifles, people have a right to "weapons", that is the whole point of the second, they are armaments, aka weapons, the second is the right to keep and bear weapons.

I don't buy into this strategy of making things sound benign ..... "its not a weapon, its a tool", "its not an assault rifle, its for hunting, or its a match rifle, etc..." is admitting defeat.

If some company markets a gun as the "Super-Death-Maker-2000", we should still have a right to have it, even though the name is not benign sounding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CA sucks;
    You put your finger on the crux of the matter.

Just for all you "No weapons please' folks...Disarm right now !!!

You see ..a VERY good case can be make that the ONLY arms covered by the Second Amendment are WEAPONS;
    Weapons to be used to defend yourself, your loved ones, your community, and your COUNTRY !!!

Your duck/skeet guns ARE NOT COVERED...never having been used in war. Nor has your .22 rifle.
    You boys need to grow a pair....or just give your firearms to the authorities and save them the necessity of taking them.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A defense attorney would call it a firearm because it is a neutral clinical term. A prosecution attorney would call it a weapon because it is a negative emotional impact term. With the Brady types making negative emotional impact words and phrases like Friday night special, Assualt Weapon, cop killer bullets ect I can live without a gun owner calling a firearm a weapon.