In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

It was a rough night

2»

Comments

• bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear that.

A couple years ago my dog bit my neighbor on the family jewels. He came running over to my house late one night yelling for me with a rake in his hand. My dog appearantly thought he was coming in aggression and ran full bore, jumped and latched on. He got several stitches, and I paid for his ER visit.

Possibly the hardest thing I ever had to do was put my dog down after that. My daughter was almost 2 years old at the time, and I could not take the chance of him biting her later.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Had a friend whose yellow lab suddenly and completely out of character turned and bit her youngest son, who was doing nothing extaordinary to provoke the attack. She took it to the vet, thinking maybe there was something medically wrong with the dog to explain his behavior. She was advised by the vet that she should put the dog down, as once a dog gets this idea in his head that it's okay to bite humans that are not obviously aggressive, when they don't see a human, even a small one, as their pack leader, it is virtually impossible to break them of it. I'm sure the Dog Whisperer would disagree, but you did exactly what I would do.

Hope your little girl recovers in all ways.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wondered why dogs just flip out like that. Cats do it all the time but they're not usually put down.

Food aggression can be fixed or not (which I think is basically the dog hasn't been out and about with other dogs) association (is that what I'm thinking of?). Like it's been mentioned about the pack order.

Well too late to go in to "why". Neo-Sporine's good to keep scaring to minimal and vitamin "C" (or foods rich in) will aid in healing.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Rough indeed.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster

I always wondered why dogs just flip out like that.

Metastatic brain tumors from lung?

[?]

Best wishes to your grandaughter's speedy recovery.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There simply is no upside to this, Don. I'm really sorry to hear this happened.

Clouder..
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Hard to believe that dog would do that. He was such a crotch snuggler I wouldn't think he would have an aggressive bone in him. Kid probably aggravated him or scared him somehow, but a dog has to allow that sort of thing from kids in the family. Not much of a choice when it comes down to the kid's safety or a canine member of the family. The little pup is called "Jack" and he is a real pistol. Tough little bugger will kick an errant leaf's * in a second amd parade around with a duck feather like he found the crown jewels. First dog I ever saw that does hand stands. Pretty wild to see him walking around with his rear legs up off the ground.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry to hear about your granddaughter, and your dog too. I hope the little girl will be okay soon and not have any serious lingering effects from the event. I think you did the right thing too.

I remember when several of my grandfather's grandchildren were growled at by his black and tan hound, and he came off the porch and kicked the dog almost to kingdom come. The dog never bothered any of the kids after that moment.
    What's next?