In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

please read!! Help for fellow GB members

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
I have noticed a few topics over the last week about GB members looking for jobs and kinda down on their luck in these crazy economic times nowadays. So I was thinking how about starting some topics for the ones who need to find jobs. What I had in mind was a member can provide the area he needs work in plus the type of work he is searching for and hopefully other members will have contacts or can suggest some places to try. What's everyone think? I have a few contacts and companies I could suggest they try in various states and I believe others would to. I think it is also reasonable for other members to eye through the local papers and check out possibilities also.
So come on and lets help some of these good people out.

Jay
Ohio[:)]

So far here's the areas we are looking for jobs in:
Seattle, WA
New Mexico
South Carolina
Oklahoma City
central Illinois maint. or electrical field
Let's hear what's out there[:)]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    We're looking for a forklift mechanic and a preventative-maintenance tech here in Phx. Will soon need a service dept supervisor if all goes well[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Thank you kingjoey! I had hopes for more participation from members. Surely you and I aren't the only ones who would help.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Idea! I will post any if I hear of any in my area. It is so hard out there today. Where do you find a Good paying job at today? They are very hard to come by now these days.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
    edited November -1
    that's the spirit crosshair. By the way welcome aboard[:)]

• bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Count me in. Good idea,Suspension.

BTW,our co. proudly announced,last week,that they are investing 3 billion dollars in new plants in China and S.A. Meanwhile,we've not had a raise in 3 years. Anyone care to relocate?[V][:(][xx(]

KJ,how far is Phoenix from Kiribati? Could I commute?[:D][;)]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i cant thank you guys enough

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want good paying jobs then the answer is as clear as the state of TEXAS! Plenty of work around the Houston area, no matter what your trade there is a job in Texas!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
    edited November -1
    How about whoever is looking for a job post it to a topic and include the area and the trade you prefer and see who all can help. I have some contacts in OK, MI, CA, OH, PA, IN, WV depending on what your looking for.

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:KJ,how far is Phoenix from Kiribati? Could I commute?

Not to far, we don't compensate for personal vehicle mileage though so you're paying for gas in the Learjet.[;)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Cessna out of Independence, Kansas is getting ready to hire 500 people to build a new corporate jet, the first built outside of Wichita. I have no idea of pay rate, but could probably find more information if anyone was interested.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KJ,guess those investments in offshore oil-rigs will start paying off![:D]

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i live in seattle washington

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • BigBoreRobBigBoreRob Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few conections in and arround Warsaw IN, and I may just be hiring in a month or so.

Ill never understand why a women would dedicate her entire life to making one man miserable when she could make so many men happy
    edited November -1
    Thanks BigBoreRob! cool name by the way

let's keep em' coming people!!!

• hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not much going on in my area. rubbermaid is hireing production workers but its through a temp service now. things may pickup later in the year or the first of next. we are moving our production facilities right now.

searcher5 already posted about cessna so i guess thats the big news around here.

searcher5, where are you located? I'm in ark city.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I was laid off a year ago. Life is what it is. I have a Masters Degree in Healthcare Administration and 20 years experience in Information Systems. I live in New Mexico. I think this is a good idea. Lets see where it goes. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Kubota has a tractor building plant here in NE Georgia. They're hiring welders and builders.

I don't work there, but know some people that have worked for them for years. As I understand it, they have good benifits and it's a good place to work.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    In western ND there is a need for plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and oil rig hands (no experience needed for rig work, but you must be drug free and be willing to get dirty) The pay is not as good as big city jobs, but there are benefits of living here if you can stand the cold. Housing is cheap and that is for good housing.

We are looking for a secretary if you know of any one with good language skills (in fact there are several openings for qualified people)

This is a good idea.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Outdoor World got shut down by the ATF in Modesto, and I posted at the time they were re-opening in San Rafel, and would be needing a new Hunting, Fishing, and Firearms Department Manager.

I don't have the contact info anymore...sorry
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the sticky Mr David Nunn! [:)]

• tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ChevymanTX is pretty much right about the job market in Houston.
    South of Houston, towards my area, there is a building boom not seen in the Houston area since the 80's.
    There's freeway development, many huge neighborhoods under construction and all the related growth that accompanies expansion [shopping malls, etc.].
    If you're a welder, carpenter, electrician, plumber or craftsman of most any trade, you'll probably be able to find suitable employment.
    Try this link to Houston's largest newspaper.

http://houstonchronicle.com/

I really hope this helps.

Tideman [South of Houston TEXAS]
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    This is a great Idea, I cant help at this time, But I can tell you where not to come to for Work. Nothing here in N.E. Oregon. SORRY
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calif.,Sacramento area, Co. I drive for can't find qualified help for the warehouse. Entry level product packers start at $11phr w/ full benefits at 30days. It's been 6mos. and they still need a Floor Cordinator for shipping, starts at $32k a year and goes to $47k at 2 years.They are nation wide and post job openings on their website at www.cardinal.com.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I have found the bigest problem with obtaining gainful employment, is relocation. In the 80s and most of the 90s I lived in northwest IN. You could not buy a job there at that time. And since then it has gotten worse. Now where I live in South Carolina seems to be one of the few depressed areas in the state. Jobs are leaveing this area. Property values are going down. I am beating my head against the wall trying to find a way to relocate.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • UNIVERSITY50UNIVERSITY50 Member Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the state of ohio web site for state jobs. About the only place to work right now in the buckeye state and not get layed off in 6 months!
    http://statejobs.ohio.gov/applicant/index.asp
  • timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just thought these links may help someone the first is a link i guess you type in your city and how far you can travel it is www.topusajobs.com the second is for people in pennsylvania www.pacareerlink.state.pa.us and third www.pacareerlink.org hope these links work and good luck with employment TIM
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in central Oklahoma (Oklahoma City to be exact) and I'll have to get info from my wife as far as job postings where she works (Greg, I haven't forgotten about ya).

However, if anyone knows of a good job here in the city I'd like a shot. I am currently finishing up my last semester for my associates degree and I have 5 years experience as a computer hardware and network tech. I MIGHT get a computer security degree as well. I have an A+ certification as well as a certificate for both computer hardware and computer networks. The only detriment is that I can't lift much after having two back surgeries. I also can't ride in vehicles for hours on end either.
    I'm not just looking for tech jobs, but I'm not the best on the phone so telemarketing wouldn't likely work but I'm open for most other things that will work with my back problems.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anyone is looking for jobs in the "IT" industry, please drop me an email, I have a number of contacts across the country.

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Something that might help people find better jobs is knowing more about what a potential employer looks for on a resume' and on a cover letter. I know things have changed considerably sense the last time I applied for a job but back then it seemed like more importance was placed on experience than format. Now it seems like they pay more attention to the cover letter and format than actual work experience. So if you could tell a guy what the best way to layout a job resume' and what should be put on a cover letter that might help too.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    Great idea 4GodandCountry, I haven't formatted a resume for lord knows how long. Hopefully we got some high tech fresh college pros on here that can lend some insight to your suggestion.

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scuta, I am... [:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have three links that might help. Two are for federal employment, www.usajobs.opm.gov and www.cpol.army.mil. The other to try is www.saic.com. All three can be searched by geographical area so you can search the states you would like to work as well as overseas assignments. SAIC even has positions in Iraq for those who are not military, but would like to take a trip over there. If anyone needs any help with the federal applications let me know.

I know at the Arsenal, where I work there are about 15 jobs currently available with starting salaries going from $25K up to $60K.

***KATN!***
    edited November -1
    I'm really happy how everyone is helping out on this one. [:)]

Have we narrowed anything down for these particular areas?
    So far here's the areas we are looking for jobs in:
    Seattle, WA
    New Mexico
    South Carolina
    Oklahoma City

compliments of 22WRF, thanks

Part time sales / cleaning / stocking person wanted for gun shop in Hollywood Florida. Crochety old meanie OK, as I have 2 now and 1 is moving away. Easy job for retired gun nut. Bruce GYNAE@AOL.COM

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    This is post in the wanted forum

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96136

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BambiHunter,

You have mail...

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could set someone up in Elkhart Indiana if they are a verry verry VERRY good cnc tech. Starting would be 60 to 75 thousand range so don't apply if you can't cut it. They will know in about 30 seconds! Last tech was making over 100 grand.
  • hazegrayhazegray Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Huntsville, Alabama area is pretty much a boom town all around. There are plenty of scientific/engineering/computer jobs around here. We have Nasa, the Army's Missile Command, Space and Missile Defense Command, Department of Defense, all the big name aerospace and computer companies, and many small defense contractors. Plenty of ex-military officers and enlisted, helicopter people from pilots to mechanics, air defense guys, and EOD types have jobs here.

Along with all this business is the associated infrastructure build up. From retail to real estate to construction it all seems pretty busy to me. Every contractor of every type is as busy as they can be. Carpenters, steel workers, painters, masons all have to be in demand considering the building boom. Take a decent job along with decent prices, and you can do pretty good. You can still get a reasonable 3 bedroom house in a subdivision for around 100K, and your property taxes here in the county will probably only be about $400 a year. Madison county sales tax is 5.5% and Huntsville city is about 8.8% I think. Traffic seems busy to me, but it's nothing like any big metro area anywhere else.

Check http://www.huntsvillejobs.com/ for some ideas, and I'm sure there are others as well.

A couple of other points about our area some of you fellers may like: An Alabama CCW renewal costs me $10 per year, and I'm reciprocal in 16 states including almost all of the Southeast. There are shooting ranges and plenty of good hunting all around. And, if you can believe this; even though I live in a subdivision, I'm out in the county, an unused field is behind me (for now at least) and I built myself a bullet stop in that direction and routinely shoot .22's and sometimes more, right off my back porch. Hey it's the free state of Alabama, stop in and bring your guns. If you don't have a gun, we can probably check you one out at the border.

Good hunting,

HazeGray
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I work at Roper Hospital in downtown Charleston, South Carolina:

They are looking for a few people in Sterile Processing. Basically what it is is you sterilize all of the hospital equipment and instruments. It starts off at like $12/hr and they send you to school. It's all paid for, though. Once you get done with the classes they bump your pay up. Plus if you work night shifts you get an extra $1/hr + if you work weekends you get like another $1.50/hr. So if you are working nights on weekends you'll get an additional $2.50/hr on top of the $12/hr to start.

They are also looking for Maintenance Technitions, it's a salary job, dunno what it pays...but bring your own tools. Helps to be experienced in building/commercial facility engineering/maintenance.

Security is hiring, $8.00/hr to start.

All kinds of office personnel they are hiring for.

They also operate their own EMT/EMS service and they are hiring for that as well....so if you are a licensed EMT/EMS technition....go for it.

And there are lots more things they are hiring for...I just can't remember everything.

aliens.jpg
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Anyone living in or willing to move to the KC area, I can direct them to US Govt. contract security work. We are unionized (I'm a steward) and basically make about $20.00 per hour. Got to be able to pass a government physical, FBI background check, Federal Police firearms range qualifying, and have prior police, military or government contract work experience. Might be able to slip you in if you have 2 years armed experience in some kind of security such as armored transportation, etc. Go to my member profile and e-mail me if you know of anyone who wants further info.

BTW I like this "help a another GB member" and think it should be expanded.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • richcecilrichcecil Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Attn, N.VA, DC, MD: The Pentagon Police will open for hiring in the next month. Find all info at PFPARecruiting@pfpa.mil. Good pay, and no max age limit.

"single by deceit,parent by choice"