In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ever hit a deer with your ride?

Fast DrawFast Draw Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
tell me bout it please.

Comments

• Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hit one on I80 in pennsylvania with a 379 peterbuilt loaded with 44,000# of bottled water( 77,500# gross vehicle weight) traveling at 80mph. Made a big red spot on the highway and bent a $600 bumper into the steers. felt like a speed bump!
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    Ms. BeastMs. Beast Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, hit a little one. I was going 50 or 55 and never saw it come off the side of the road. It * the car and flew over the roof. I drove home and looked, the front of the car smashed pretty good, grill gone, lack for hood broke, headlight gone, lots of fur and some blood! I was in a Toyota Corolla, I hurt my arm from the impact, not bad though. The kids were little and in car seats and slept through the entire thing. When we got home, the sheriff came and our little guy, Mini, was more interested in his gun than the deer we hit! I had just dropped the insurance that would have covered this! The insurance company didn't like the idea of hit and run......that deer hit me and then was gone! I was pretty upset and scared!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit one on the way home from the car dealer!! 4600 bucks later, I could finally show it to people. Also, check out my thread to JUDGEDREAD and see what happens when try to avoid them. HIT THEM ALL, it will work out better for you in the long run.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit the biggest buck I've ever seen. Really! He blocked out the entire windshield. 6am, doin' about 50-55mph. Knocked him to the side of the road and he got up and kept running.My car was in the shop and I was driving a "rent-a-wreck" that the insurance company was paying for. A Mercury Topaz. TOTALLED. The cop that came to investigate wrote "Mr. Mudge was doing 55mph when the deer decided to commit suicide". The two of us looked for 100 yds in all directions and never found that big sucker. He also told me that from the time that Loudoun County vehicles were required to have deer whistles, strikes had gone down 90%. I've had them ever since and have seen them work.Mudge the sharpshooter
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow 7mm, the mental image I'm getting from your story is amazing. That would be a good illustration of INERTIA. Almost the same weight ratio as a sledge hammer squashing a flea.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals[This message has been edited by concealedG36 (edited 12-19-2001).]
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hit a small doe at 55 mph in a '83 Chevette diesel. Took it right between the headlights. Needed a new hood, grille, lights, and radiator. This was the second deer this Chevette had ingested. The first one my brother hit at 65 mph. He lost a headlight and the grille that time. It smashed the hood up but did not take out the radiator. He said he could not see to drive so he got out and jumped up and down on the hood until he could see over it. True story! My mom lives in SE Iowa and has hit or been run into at by at least 4 deer in the same car she bought in 1991. She put "deer alerts" on after the second deer strike but it didn't stop. After she hit the fourth one I told her she had her deer alerts on backwards and she was actually calling the darn things in!!! She was not amused.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm,my math shows you had 154000 ft#s of muzzle energy.You may wont to reduse that load a little.Might cut down on brusing the back straps.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We had a guy on our deer lease,Who bought a new Ford Bronco two days before season opend.The Texas hill country is well noted for it's deer population.On his way to the lease he hit three deer,Two of which were bucks.He arrived in camp with a busted head light,Leaking readator,pices of grill dangling,and a caved in door.He did not kill a single deer with his rifle the whole week.
  • Options
    DaRoostaDaRoosta Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never hit a deer, many close calls and have seen it right in front of me before. The one encounter I did have was with a big bull elk that ran into the side of our car a few years back. We were driving to my parents beach house for the weekend. It was dark out and the road we travel is the type you don't drive over about 30 mph because of all the switchbacks. We saw the big bull and slowed down to a stop. He was just standing there in the roadside gulley. We decided to drive past, very, very slowly. As soon as the headlights got past him, he took a run for the other side of the road. Broadsided us!! Craziest thing ever. Dented up the driver's side door a little bit, knocked the big guy down, but he got up and ran back the way he came from. We were really lucky he didn't put his head down and come through the glass. I'll never forget it.
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 times:1) When driving on the back roads of South NJ, a little doe comes from the passenger side and THWACKK!!! hits the mini-van on the side. The deer runs off. Check the damage the next morning and see a snot streak about 2 feet long on the passenger door! I laughed my butt off.2) Had a howitzer run over a deer that was hunkered down in a wadi on the Yakima Firing Center. Wasn't a pretty sight.Brian
  • Options
    gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit deer with my ride three different times: (1) Got a head shot on a doe on I-176 at 55mph with pickup truck which left me with some very nice meat in the freezer and $1,200.00 damage to my truck; (2) Had a buck charge head on into a new Freightliner tractor as I was pulling into a rest stop on PA Turnpike near Pittsburg - deer was killed with no damage to the tractor except having to clean the underside prior to delivery; (3) Hit 4 doe on I-80 near Williamsport eastbound at about 65mph+ killing three and injuring the other and busting up the grill work and lights on a Mack tractor - no idea $ value of damage.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    So far, I think Redleg wins with the Howitzer story, with 7 mag in a close second with his wonderful rendition of deer vs. big rig.
  • Options
    rodgergliderodgerglide Member Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have hit two with my 1973 LTD wagon,did nothing to the bumper,both deer ran off to die hopefully...had one BIG doe run into me on interstate on ramp,damaged left front fender,and if it had not run off,it would have had alot of 9mm holes...I was having a bad day and that was the last straw.....REDLEG,where in south Jersey are you talking about? Before I decided to make south Alabama my home for the last 23 years,I grew up on the Jersey shore.Still got a sister there in Brick Township
  • Options
    sig-mansig-man Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the Army LACV-30 operator maintainence course riding in a LACV-30 hovercraft at Ft.Eustis up from Ft.Story and ran over a big doe while on full cushion going around 40 mph, we looked back as we ran over her and as she got up she ran in a couple of circles and staggered off out of sight, no damage to the hovercraft...P.S. the hovercrafts aren't as forgiving on Toyota pick-up trucks, they make them really flat...
  • Options
    guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spatterd one with a fifty six car grain train!Does that count?120 ton loco +56 26 ton cars +45 mph = not much left!
  • Options
    biganimalbiganimal Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hit my first with a 1967 Mustang at about 95 mph, car & deer total loss. Second with a 1974 LNT 8000 tractor trailer with 26000 lb payload at 65 mph, deer total loss, tractor trailer broke headlight and dented fender.third was with a 1984 s-10 blazer, dead deer and totaled vehicle, this vehicle had the deer alert whistles !!! won't waste $$ again on them!!! nearly got one three weeks ago with my harley but got lucky and missed the dern thing...by inches!!!!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I smoked one just south of Sylacauga, AL when returning from a huntin' trip. Already had two dead 'uns on the truck so I figure when this feller hit me it was a retaliatorystrike. Cost $5200 for the insurance company to fix it. I got two days off work to get the glass out of my eyes, face and head. Killed him deader'n a sack o' dirt. I gave that sucker away since I already had two.
    Eat healthy, exercise, avoid smoking........Die anyway. will270win@aol.com ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think guns-n-painthorses is in the lead now unles someone bags one with a battleship.Got to admit I liked the hovercraft.Got to wonder what that deer was thinking after the fact.
  • Options
    hyperspacehyperspace Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad had a '68 Chevy pick-up with a spare tire mounted on the grill. We called it the "deer catcher". He hit at least 15 deer (that I remember) with that truck, and none intentionally (as best as I can recall). Never did any damage to the truck. The moon hubcap on the spare had a few dents in it when he sold it in '94 (with over 300,000 miles on it). Every deer went to the freezer.
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In same order....... A mule ,3 cats ,1 cow,1 horse ,20 or 30 chickens (lost count)"worst one"The biggest SOB dog you may see got in front of me in a race rally (145) MPH all the car front (engine included was trashed ,evident i lost the race.... I was scared ("Dung"less) the darn thing exploded at that speed ,it was like hitting a 250p rock ,The carcass left overs weighted well over that ,for the looks it was a ST Bernard dog , a big fat one.But my advice also is TAKE THE HIT you may save many lives doing so.....don't try to AVOID the invader... hit him HARD.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    OK, G&P and Sig-man are in 1st and 2nd, repectively, with Redleg in a close 3rd.
  • Options
    al57al57 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    judge dread gasps in horror at the "terrible unsafe practice" ( his words ) of firing a gun indoors on rare occasions..but then brags about going 145 on a public street on a road rally and killing someone's dog...inconsistant thinking, wouldnt ya say ? and judge, just as you wished death for me in my post, its a shame the pooch was the victim instead of his killer
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    '95 Freightliner Cabover, eastbond I-20 in Ga. 6 point Buck jumped the fence, running at an angle to cross the interstate. I had just picked up 44,000 pounds of Dogfood back at Atlanta. Through the anchor out, grabbed the airhorn and let it blare as he jumped the ditch. Must have scared him with my ugly face cause as he hit the road, right in front of me, he tried to stop. His feet slipped out from under him, on the slick asphalt, and I ran right over him with 9 tires. Took out the body, but the rack and neck were untouched. Wish I had of had a knife to cut it off for mounting, but just hung the carcass on the fence by the horns and went on to make my delivery. Didn't even scratch the truck, but took a little time to get all the blood and guts off the undercarriage. Have truck, will travel
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Had a huge one (big as a damn steer) charge across the road in front of me while riding my Harley about 65 mph in the Utah mountains. Broad daylight. Came out of the rocks on my left and I didn't even see him until he was nearly in front. No time to swerve. If he'd have hesitated I'd have hit him dead-on. He kept running across and I kept going straight-ahead and when I passed him I was so close I could count the * on his *.That'll wake you out of your daydream.Stopped in the very next town for a beer and some quiet reflection about how much fun it is to be alive.
    Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because of Fort Chaffee we have deer out the *.I have killed three in the last 11 yrs driving TOO work.It could at least happen on the way home.One was a gorgeous 142 P&Y 11 pt.I have only shot one deer bigger.cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    al57 It was a legal race .... I gave you a FASTER alternative to redo from start your IQ level.... I don't wish you dead (you are still there don't you ? )
    Ignis Natura Renovatur Integram
  • Options
    edited November -1
    judge it appears you are among the fast growing multitude of guys that find the internet the only safe place for them to insult other men. always impressive
  • Options
    edited November -1
    and secondly judge, you , the expert on evaluating others' IQ levels, why would you consider being involved in a road race with the speeds you proclaim, that has no better security than allow dogs of that size running around...? yeah,,you obviously are qualified to deem what is and what isnt safe, smart practices...
  • Options
    mbrookmbrook Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father in law hit a deer on his way home from work...did serious damage to the front of his car. Took the car into the bumpshop for repair and they gave him a loaner car. On the way home from the shop he hit deer with the loaner about 1/4 mile from where he hit the first deer. He turned around and took the car back to the shop with the radiator steaming and asked for another loaner. The shop owner asked if he could find another route home.
  • Options
    PupPup Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy in our hunting party was out spotting deer a few days before season. He was looking right, nice doe came out of the left ditch and smashed his door in. He failed to see the humor in it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    al57What you want me to do ? apologize ,make a temple for you , put a resemblance of you (IDOL) on it and have people all over the world pay tribute to it ... consider it done .... but still will not make you smarter ... try staying at Holliday Ins a little more often and ask Nunn what is the meaning of sarcasm ,because here you will take a lot ....better become used to it and don't take life so miserable for yourself my intention was not to insult you ,but if you take ADVICE (sarcastic) but still ADVICE as insult its not my fault ... any way sorry...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    judge..i am surprised someone as yourself, who we are all supposed to be in awe of your IQ, would miss the point so badly. the bottom line was you thought it was insanely dangerous for me to occasionally pop a round or 3 off in my basement while at the same time you brag of high speed races you are in that offers no better security or organization than to let a large dog slip into the racing confines. see the double standard? get it now already?..have a good 1
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Have either one of you guys ever hit a fr!ggin` deer?????.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    not with a vehicle, no 218...16 via firearm including the 11 point i got this year of who's mount im sitiing under as i type.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've hit two. Both with the same pickup. The first was a big doe, got the grill and left fender. I built a heavy grill guard and the next one was a nice sized buck. He got the unprotected part of the grill, the hood, the fender, and swung around and caved the door in. He also shoved the cab back hard enough to hit the bed denting the back of the cab. They were within 5 miles of each other on the same highway late at night going to and coming home from work. I hit both of them going between 55-65 mph. Lots of damage but they didn't come in the cab with me. I can't go by those spots now without watching the ditch. This fall I came within inches of catching a turkey with my windshield. That is a thrill! If you are travelling through N.E. Kansas at night and you come up on some old farmer dinking along, don't get irritated it's only me deer watching.
    " Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    al57Have you ever tried to secure 25 miles off road track from all animals (quite imposible) ...and that is one reason people hit ANIMALS IN THE ROAD!!! OK they GET IN THE WAY ! I like to race cars at 145MPH butI don't put MY nose in the tailpipe and rev up the engine (shoot inside the house and you end breathing up all the S**T coming from the bb end) ,thank me for giving you a FASTER alternative (I rather die racing at 145MPH than end up with LEAD poisoning or cancer) due to Confined shooting practices, go out and try running over some deer ...have fun relax .....
  • Options
    RedlegRedleg Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a topic related to killing deer-like things with something other than a hunting rifle, here's a little story that happened to me in 1997. I was just commissioned into the Field Artillery (hence Redleg) and my class was out on Kerr Hill on Ft Sill adjusting fire for a battery of 105mm howitzers. Those who have been to Sill know this place and know that we were shooting at a terrain feature we called "Buttcrack Hill" for a large conspicuous draw.Well, I was first for the morning (the sun was just coming up on the hill) and sent my first round down range. I was way off, so I made a huge correction and sent the round close to where I wanted to hit, near the buttcrack. As soon as the second round lands, we notice about 4 elk (they were reintroduced to OK a while back) emerge from the smoke and dust. This is still pretty sad for me, but those elk walked about 75 yards toward the crest of the hill, and, one-by-one, laid down and died. That sucked.But, I was being evaluated, so after my final corrections, I called for the Fire For Effet phase. Can't remember if I hit anything other than the elk.But, makes you think why they call the Artillery the "King of Battle".
  • Options
    Fast DrawFast Draw Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ill bet when you guys drive down those same roads it brings back memories
  • Options
    songdogsongdog Member Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have yet to hit a deer with my "ride", but have a couple of funny ( I think they are) stories. First, when i was alittle boy, 10 yrs. ago, I was traveling a country road with my old man. We were out to get a christmas tree for the old lady in our 3/4 heavy chevrolet. We were traveling about 40 mph. As we passed a feed field we were watching the deer out there eating. When we looked up at the road we had a does * setting on the top of the hood. here front legs were ust peddling as fast as they could go. The old man hit the brakes and she slid off the hoodand ran to the other side of the road. wentabout 40 yds. out in the grass nd laid down to rest. She was not hurt or anything, but it was pretty funny for a 10 yr old kid who was interested in killing all 4 legged animals that walked the earth. Since then my views of wildlife have change quite a bit. For the second story, our wildlife and parks agency likes to put out those robotic deer for deer season along the roads. Well two years ago they put one on our nieghbors property. We had permission to hunt there. The W&P regreted to inform us that they had a robo deer out. Well the old man and i were dragging his deer out of the woods and saw this huge buck standing out in the field about 50 yds. off of the road. Well i shouldered the rifle and shot, the deer did not fall, it just stood there. I thought, what the hell, I shouldered the rifle again and steadied it once more and shot. About then two guys came running out of the bushes with rifles pointed at us and tried to confinscate our stuff. They then found out that we had permission. It is good to knowthat allof those license feesare good for something.songdog
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Judge, Like guns, auto racing is often misunderstood. 145 mph many times under the watchful eye of the SCCA on a closed track. Used Bronson Field, just west of Pensacola, which was a Navy airfield last used in the 1950's. Commanding Officer gave us permission (in writing) to have our races there. Keeps us speed crazy people off the streets. Got lucky and never hit a deer doing it. Loud exhaust (small block Chevy with open headers) tends to keep them at a distance. Miss it, but don't have the time anymore. Sandman2234
    Have Gun, will travel