In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Speeding Ticket :(

2»

Comments

• Options
    robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I'm crushed Daddy. [V]

signew.JPG
    aniGif.gif
    "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Don't know about Maine; but in Washington simple speeding and several other driving violations are INFRACTIONS. As such they are not criminal acts that could result in jail time. As a result the violator would have no right to a jury trial. All you get is a hearing. You can send in the form, requesting a hearing, but you can be certain that an assistant DA will be there with a list of cases for the day and the Trooper ill have completed his report of the incident, that is read into record, without the Trooper needing to be present.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    Robo i guess you have never met an Ohio State trooper. They are all rigid and think their crap does not stink. They are the storm troopers of Ohio!.I do not think there is a nice one among them all. I try to not go any more than 5 mph over the limit to be safe.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye's Three Rules For Not Getting Caught Speeding on the Highway

Rule #1: Never ever be the fastest guy on the road. If you're doing 70 on a 65-mph expressway, but you're buzzing by everybody for some reason, that cop running radar in the median is still liable to pull you over. Alternately, if you're doing 85 and you're still getting passed on the left (like I always am on the Jersey Turnpike), have no fear.

Rule #2: Don't linger in the fast lane if you can help it. From my experience, 9 times out of 10 the cop running radar is going to have his gun trained right on the fast lane. If you're gonna pass, do it and get back over to the middle or right lane. Don't make yourself any more obvious than you have to.

Rule #3: METT. This is an Army acronym which means mission, enemy, terrain, and troops. Basically, it means you need to change your strategy by knowing: where you're going, how many cops you anticipate there's going to be (known speed traps, special occasions warranting more cops, etc.), what the speed limit is on the areas you're going to be travelling, and how much traffic you anticipate encountering. Don't diddy-bop along at the same speed the whole way. If you know there's a cop-heavy area coming up, or it's a holiday weekend and they're liable to be out in droves, slow down for a bit.

If I'm not being gratuitiously passed, I do no more than 15 mph over the limit. That limits my liability if I am pulled over. If you get busted, plead utter ignorance. I know it seems like a good idea, but don't admit your speed. I've known of a few occasions where friends of mine were clocked doing considerably LESS than what they were actually doing, and managed to talk themselves into a BIGGER ticket because they answered the "Do you know how fast you were going?" question honestly. Clenching your groin and begging the cop to please hurry up so you can go pee has worked for me before. Bursting into tears is also remarkably effective, I've been told.

If you can't weasel out of it, don't bother fighting if it's a Trooper. They get overtime to go to court. They love it. Sheriffs are a different matter. Always take a court date if you're issued a ticket by a Sheriff. If he does actually show up (heh), be prepared, and be a dick. Ask for copies of the calibration records for the last 3 months on his radar gun. This is well within your rights, and will catch most cops totally flat-footed.
    "Our finest tribute to our fallen dead would be to convince their sons that we were not Rambo and neither are they. -Gus Hasford