In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What a Concealed Handgun License is not

2»

Comments

• gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    would still like to hear an answer from Rafter-S and a few others that live in states where there is concealed carry ,, come on Rafter you started the post , I really would like to know what more people would do , being from WI i can't have a CCw , so have not gone to any type of schooling in this
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    You are correct - it is not a hunting license. I too have seen those who get their CCW and have to go out and show off their gun - and wait around for something to happen...

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been working all day so I'm getting back to this thread a little late.

Quote: would still like to hear an answer from Rafter-S and a few others that live in states where there is concealed carry ,, come on Rafter you started the post , I really would like to know what more people would do , being from WI i can't have a CCw , so have not gone to any type of schooling in this

I don't know what you are looking for about an answer on what to do. But let me restate the purpose of the CHL: It allows me to carry a concealed handgun legally. Nothing more. I don't have any additional responsibilities (or privileges) than what non-CHL Texans have, other than to present my CHL, along with my drivers license, when asked for ID by law enforcement.

One thing the course taught, which was good, is to try to avoid places where trouble is more likely. Also, to be aware of your surroundings and other the people near you. Just the appearance of being aware will discourage most evil do-er's. I recall the old cop saying, "if you look like prey, you will be eaten."

With regards to jumping in and helping someone in destress, I probably couldn't help myself and would do it--I am from "that" generation...but I would try to do it without presenting a handgun.

Rafter-S
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CCL, I am not what the average "victim" would look like though, I'm 25, in the military and in good shape. In short I could probably beat most people senseless if I had to. (don't want to sound arrogant there but it's the shortest way to word it) I also live in a relatively "small world" in my little military town, on my little out of the way street, in the middle of nowhere. I don't agree with having to have a CCL to carry concealed. However, I feel it's important for me to be at least a number, part of a statistic of law abiding citizens who are legal to carry concealed. Someday I like to think that the crazies will stop running the country and we'll be more the way our founding fathers wanted the country to be. Until then I'd rather be a statistic for the "good guys" than end up a number for the freedom hating commies because I was carrying concealed illegally. Just a few thoughts from my end.

Disk and bmbuzler- I think you guys are bench racing a completely hypothetical sitation. Change any of the characters into something else, say instead of the CCW holder he was actually an off duty LEO, or the big white LEO was actually a crack head attacking a undercover female officer, this is a hypothetical situation, but you could move any of the people around and both of you no matter how you shuffled "positions" would never come to terms with eachother on it. I've enjoyed reading the debate, but recognize that scenario for what it is, just a scenario. Never happened.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    fair enough , I guess I"m just trying to get a better understanding of where you are coming from
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    All of this has been said already, but Flying Clay Disc's little story has me so incensed I can't resist adding my opinion.

First off, that story is pure BS. I can pretty much guarantee you.

I am by no means an expert on this subject, so if I'm off base here then please square me away. But every police prostitution sting I've ever seen involves a fair number of officers, the vast majority of them well-marked as LEOs, but out of sight. The officer springing the trap is the only one in civvies, and once the bust goes down the plainclothes officer immediately pulls out his badge, gets out of the way, and lets the uniformed officers rolling in do the bust. I've never so much as heard of a lone officer in plainclothes running his own little sting with no backup whatsoever, especially for "weapons trafficking and narcotics" like you described.

The very idea of that is so negligently dangerous and Hollywood-esque that it's laughable.

I also particularly enjoyed the image of the cop doing a frontal bum-rush on a knife-swinging woman, while simultaneously drawing his pistol, and ending up with it up against her temple. Was that Riggs or Murtaugh, by the way?
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey everybody, bullz forgot to add that his vast experience comprises 19 years. Imagine that, so much knowledge, gained in such a short time. The boy's a genius----or:

Gawd, what a phony.

Clouder..
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Did you bother to read what I said, or did you just fast forward and skip to the part where you're a touch-hole?

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif