In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Amish buggy's

robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I swear i have never ran into,{almost literally} any group of more inconsiderate people in my life,you would think that in bad weather especially these very slow moving vehicles would be a little more road considerate.I cannot tell you how close i came today with my hubbys nice new shiny red truck to kissing the * of one of these creatures.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do realize that (in most states) pedestrians, bicycles and horses (including horse drawn equipment) have the right-of-way over motor driven vehicles?

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having the right of way is one thing and i can respect that but nearly causing accidents on icy roads is a different story i do believe.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think of the Amish as creatures. Also I don't pretend to understand their way of life ... I just respect it and when I find myself in Amish areas I drive accordingly.

Then there is the part about yielding right of way and the little orange triangle thingies on the back of the buggy.[;)]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in Lancaster PA for 22 years.
    I know all about them.
    They don't pay Taxes either.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Funny I've not met many others that weren't as considerate as Amish. Sure some of a--holes, but not many. Most will go out of their way to help you or cause you to wreck...hehehe

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I hate the omnoids that live by me, bunch a poaching pieces of crap

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are driving at a speed that makes your vehicle uncontrolable then you are the inconsiderate one. It's only a matter of time before you hurt someone and the only one to blame will be you. And yes I have spent much time driving in Amish country. Both cars and trucks which are MUCH more difficult to stop on slippery roads.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I moved to Northern Indiana around 1978. Topped a hill in the Corvette doing around 100 MPH and a buggy was in the road. I slid by it sideways and ask the wife ' What the H*** was that ?" Didn't have a clue the Amish drove buggies....
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next you'll be crying about how you have to yeild to those friggin trains. Go ahead, hit one of those.
    I don't care how slow they go- if your following, it's up to you to do so safely.
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in So.Kal we have to watch-out for the shopping carts!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woodsrunner,im pretty sure on solid ice just idling would be as slow as i could of possibly been going,or maybe i should have hopped in the damn buggy.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hangfire
    Here in So.Kal we have to watch-out for the shopping carts!!!

LOL [:D] ain't much better up here! [:D][:D][:D]

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Whatever you do, don't give em the horn, scares the crap outa the horse and really pisses them off....

Patrick Buzzard
    Michigan National Guard
    19K-- tanker
    "Strike Hard!!"
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the amish! Thet build nice stuff, my friend has an ice hut they built that is really nice! They smell though.[B)]

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent) crosshair.gif
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robjacks ... the hop part is a good idea, but the buggy might not be my first suggestion as the place to hop to.

If the roads were that bad then the buggy had no place to go either, did they?

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Well, I've learned a few things in this post. Some good, and some bad.[:0]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We could learn alot from the Amish. I live 10 miles from Belleville PA which is just as rich in Amish as Lancaster, they are a decent people who just want to be left alone and live life their way, they don't try to change us, they stay out of our business and expect us to stay away from theirs. how many here could live an Amish lifestyle? I would be willing to bet that maybe 5% could. As far as the taxes go, the church supports the Amish community, hard to explain and I won't but almost all money goes thru the church. The Amish who have adopted some of the newer lifestyle and ventured away from the church do pay taxes. There is a building company run by Amish here, you want a house built call them! Cheaper, faster and better quality for stick built homes. Ohh and they make some of the best apple pies one could ever think of eating[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I like the amish! Thet build nice stuff, my friend has an ice hut they built that is really nice! They smell though.

What makes the ice hut smell? [}:)][;)]
  • ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The buggys near me play a game called "Biggest Back-up Wins".The buggy with the most cars behind it wins.Like everything else in this world,some Amish are a PITA and others are wonderful people. Not all Amish are talented carpenters so the Amish built slogan can be taken with a grain of salt.As for the buggy drivers who get a charge out of holding up traffic.I like to go by on my bike and flick the kill switch to make it backfire.The game changes from Biggest Back-up Wins to Horse Wheelies!!!

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grew up in Pa and lived in Del for a few years and yep they are slow. But it sounds like they are there all the time I know we had them around all the time just made adjustments where to slow down and where they were never found. Next time just take the big red truck to the interstate and blow out the carbon.

psalms 16
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been around em all my life...Taxi'd a few around for extra cash, Hauled logs to the mill's for them,Taken load's of em to Trapping Conventions and Fishing Charters. Even worked with a carpenter-crew for a bit. I think that they could atleast keep thier buggies to the side of the road instead of running right down the middle of it...Especially in Hilly area's... Nothin worse than coming over the top of a hill in a Mack with a 20 ton load and have a buggy trottin right down the middle...And yes, Alot of them do lack in the Hygiene dept...My neighbors and I have trouble keeping them from Trespassing every year. They NEVER ask for permission and They sneak in and bow-hunt where-ever they want! My mother caught one cutting down and stealing Cherry logs off of her property. A few have been busted for D.U.I. around here too. And a while back in Middlefield,Ohio, A few got busted with Coacaine. So they too have the "Good and the Bad".....Just my 2 cents!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ha ha ha Ace that's real funny. Bet you wouldn't be laughing if your little backfire prank spooks a horse pulling a buggy with a family in it and someone gets killed. Let's put your * in a car with no brakes or steering and let it go about 60mph. See if you like it. [V][V][V][:(!]
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robjacks
    Having the right of way is one thing and i can respect that but nearly causing accidents on icy roads is a different story i do believe.

Since they had the right of way and as you state roads were icy. Could it be you were driving too fast for conditions and are now trying to shift the fault?

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two the west of me is amish country and I will take a trip over that way every chance I get. I love the beautiful gardens and well kept houses. If you are driving through amish country don't be in a hurry. If you are in a hurry avoid that part of the country. As for them smelling you try walking around in horse snot all the time and see how you smell. None of our people smelled any better a hundred years ago. The only thing that bothers me is having a clean vehicle and driving through the horsey exhaust!
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    The only thing that bothers me about the Amish is that they came over on the boats like the rest of our ancestors and yet they are exempt from a majority of the taxes the rest of us have to pay. Even though they use our roads and stuff....pfffttt. I need to turn myself into a recognized religion, mabye I can exempt myself of a few money sinks.

aliens.jpg
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I have no use for them , the ones i have dealt with over the years have proved to be less than honest , use their religion any way they can to grain a advantage, if they want to live the way they do fine , but when they start having small business that compete with other non-amish small business then they should have to abide by all the same rules and government reg. that every ones else has to, they should have workmans comp , unemployment ,fed and state taxes SS and med care , no kids working in sawmills and wood shops, and as far as their buggy's go they should have to have insurance on them, tags , lights, its their main means of transportion just like you car , so it should be treated like one
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree with gskyhawk....here in kansass they go buy a new ford tractor (with high speed gears) ,pay no sales tax, deductible farm item, pay no road tax, pay no fuel tax, pay no property tax, etc yet act like they own the road...trying to get state to tax, tag, insure, license, safety, etc like the rest of us providing them with a free ride....let em ride in the ditches like horse & buggy was designed for...most of the accidents or deaths have been caused by these slow movers in or crossing normal traffic...latest two were 70+ yr old crosssing 4 lane divided at night in black buggy with black horse...well.duh
    edited November -1
    "new ford tractor (with high speed gears)" The Amish I know don't (by there religious rules) own self propeled equipment or vehicles, Mennonites yes but not the Amish.
    "pay no sales tax, deductible farm item, pay no road tax, pay no fuel tax" All that's true of EVERY farmer, there all exempt from those things with farm equipment.
    "let em ride in the ditches like horse & buggy was designed for" Again your showing your native stupidity.
    "pay no property tax" Their land is partially owned by the church and religious services are held there, no church pays property taxes in this country so what's your point?

Whittemore
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's their religion and I respect their right to it.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    yes it is their religion and they do have a right to it and to live as they do , what they do not have a right to is getting special treatment from the government because of their religion , ie not paying taxes , not having SS# , running businesses with out the same rules and regs. that everyone else has to abide by.
    edited November -1
    They also NEVER collect SS, welfare, medacade, medacare unemployment or other govt benifits. That's why they don't pay into SS.
    They pay there hospital bills with cash, what the patent can't pay the church pays (again no handouts).
    They refuse to accept charity of any kind.
    They pay income taxes just like any other farmer.
    They won't sue anybody, if they get hurt working on your house/property they foot the bill/expences themselves.

Whittemore
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gyshawk, are you talking about Mennonites or Amish? Where I am from you described the Mennonites. Nine times out of ten as an English when you close a deak with the Amish their word is their bond but trust a rattle snake sooner than a Mennonite..................that is in the area where I am from.

Accepting Social Security is voluntary working within one's family or sect.

Workers Compensation for the Amish.........wow, just scrub out most all the Amish businesses and farms as well as all the English small family farms.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing I do see is a massive break down in the old Amish order and many of the young assimilating into the modern culture and maitaining just enough of the old traditions to stay within the order. I definitely see a big double standard there.

The oddest thing to see at the New Holland sale barn is some of the Amish walking around with cell phones to their ear and a DVD player in the buggy and springwagon.

Throw Jacob over the fence his cell phone onced, aint.[:o)]

Don't fly the river!
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor who lives about 1500 feet from me was raised as amish and I have learned a lot from him. It seems Tailgunner is the only one who seems to come close to know what he is talking about. Spasmcreek is so far out in the woods he won't ever get back.
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Some of the Amish here in Ohio are friendly and some aren't. The Amish here in Ohio are getting pretty modern and the Mennonites are poachers.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rldowns3
    The only thing that bothers me about the Amish is that they came over on the boats like the rest of our ancestors and yet they are exempt from a majority of the taxes the rest of us have to pay. Even though they use our roads and stuff....pfffttt. I need to turn myself into a recognized religion, mabye I can exempt myself of a few money sinks.

aliens.jpg

Just what taxes do you believe them excempt from?Other than road taxes,I do not know of ANY ,wait ,I take that back...Workers comp,as they Generally work as subs.I hauled amish work crews,hired some to do work for me,and even HELPED some do THEIR TAXES,bot STATE and FEDERAL.......
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    One thing I do see is a massive break down in the old Amish order and many of the young assimilating into the modern culture and maitaining just enough of the old traditions to stay within the order. I definitely see a big double standard there.

The oddest thing to see at the New Holland sale barn is some of the Amish walking around with cell phones to their ear and a DVD player in the buggy and springwagon.

Throw Jacob over the fence his cell phone onced, aint.[:o)]

Don't fly the river!

Young Amish males are allowed...they are on their rumsspringer(spelling?).After they actually JOIN the church as adults they are held to a hingher standard.......
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunpaq If you think the Mennionites are bad, wait till you get around the Drunkards I mean the Dunkards. I grew up in east central Kansas around the Amish, Mennonites, and the Dunkards which are the most modern ones. They are by far the biggest bunch of drunken, junkie theives I've ever seen. The Amish and Mennonite kids went to the public schools and only had to go to school until 8th grade, but most completed high school. They would change into regular clothes like all the other kids wore and come to town on the weekends and party with us, they were alot of fun when they were out of their own environment. When they got a few beers in them, religion went right out the window. And as was said on earlier posts,they wouldn't let you hunt on their land but they had no problems with sneaking on to someone elses land.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    They also NEVER collect SS, welfare, medacade, medacare unemployment or other govt benifits. That's why they don't pay into SS.
    They pay there hospital bills with cash, what the patent can't pay the church pays (again no handouts).
    They refuse to accept charity of any kind.
    They pay income taxes just like any other farmer.
    They won't sue anybody, if they get hurt working on your house/property they foot the bill/expences themselves.

Whittemore

Thanks tailgunner for a Little bit of sanity,I just love how it seems everyone KNOWS all about the amish...Have they ever talked to em or what....All that I KNEW in OHIO paid property taxes....and when one is hurting,like a local family I knew(husband was laid up) They all get together and have grocery drives for them,I know because I drove my truck to pick them up and take them to the house....I refused payment as my contribution.....They help each other ,the men would go to homes on weekends and help with heavy work,women would come for the other stuff.Chores get done daily by the family and neighbors,they don't live on WELFARE...they do it all alone...We can't say that.....and they had there lifestyle BEFORE any laws were enacted,their faith is their way of life.....and youall want to regulate it? Oh ya...FREEDOM...For all that believe the SAME way....Jeesh![V]
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have spent much time around the Amish and Mennonites back in my log truck driving days. Many "english" don't understand that they are different and the Amish are the most strict. In the old days the mennonites were often called "black bumpers", because they drove cars and painted all the chrome black. As stated above the Amish don't pay social security, but, they don't take any either. It's considered a form of insurance and thier faith believes planning for evil is a sin. God will see them through bad times and retirement doesn't exist because idle hands are the tools of evil. That is why they don't pay disability either. They don't pay fuel taxes, so what. Thier buggies would do just fine on a couple dirt ruts, they don't require pavement. They still pay property taxes which in most localities pay for most of the highway dept expenses anyways. They still pay income taxes. They are thrifty, honest, hard working, and they believe in leaving a place better than it was when they got there. They only accept modern technology to the point required to survive amongst modern society. Any thing more may get between them and God.

Now the mennonites are allowed to be as modern as you and I, but they usually, depending upon sect, must dress plainly and are not allowed to show pride in thier possessions. They are supposed to be humble. They can also be ruthless businessmen. You go buy a dump truck load of firewood from an Amishman and he'll throw an extra half face cord on the truck to be sure you get your moneys worth. Take that same truck to a Mennonite and he'll count every stick to make sure you don't get too much.

The clothing connection is what causes confusion. Also keep this in mind, for reasons I can't explain, the Amish seem to have almost as many wannabes as Harley riders. Alot of "english" in Amish country driving around dressed as Amish, but not Amish. I could understand the non Amish wearing the clothes if they were working in them. I have a pair of dungarees bought in one of thier stores, they are indestructable. But I don't understand people pretending to be something they aren't.

Woods

Hamlin.gif