In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Amish buggy's

2»

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ref: hunting on Amish owned land.
    I have deer hunted with permission on several Amish farms (but not on Sunday, at there request). Two of them allow me to hunt anything anytime (except Sunday) on there farms. My wife and I are welcome into their homes, and invited to stay for meals, just as they are welcome in our home and invited to eat with us.
    My next door neighbor (Amish) is 70+ (and has 83 grand children) milks his own cows twice a day and does most of his farming by himself, asking for assistance only on those tasks that he can't physicly do alone IE: lifting a down cow/horse, picking up hay bails from the field, etc.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You gotta admit them Omlettes look cute in their little outfts [:D]

dancing_spiderman.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    The wife and I took a trip to Amish country in Northern, Ohio last year. We took route 62 North on the way, and on the way back. 62 is rather hilly and curvey at times. I can recall several times where we came over hills or around curves and had to slow quickly beacuse of buggies. It scared the heck out of us on every occasion. Luckily I was driving very carefully, especially after we encountered our first buggy. It's kind of neat to see them, but darn right scary if you ask me.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    yes I am talking about Amish not Mennonites , I have lived most of my live in areas where there are both , The Amish that were around where I lived in KS I knew little about , but I did know a lot of Mennonites , which where hard working and honest folks
    now talking about the Amish here in WI , which there are quite a few around these parts also there are a few Mennonites, the Mennonites that I have dealt with are fair and honest as you can keep them , you had better have every thing in writing
    but the Amish I have no use for them period over the years we have try on differnet occasions to deal with them , my Dad back when he was alive had them working for him , what a joke, bunch of lazy no acounts, one of the older ones tried hitting on a women employee , that really went over good , try buying lumber from them , 1st batch nice , 2nd batch little more crap, the more you buy the worst it gets oh but the outside of the packs always look nice until you open then up and see whats hid inside, or try giving them a 1099 some times seen what happens, not hard to pay a few taxes when you do every thing in cash , pretty easy to hide a whole lot of money
    and i still say if they are in business ie sawmill , woodshop , whateever , I'm talking doing some thing for profit , then they should have to abide by the same rules as any one else , and on another note you should see the way they treat their horses around here , in the summer time its nothing to see their buggy horse withevery rib / hip bone showing, hoof sore , leaving them tied out in the hot sun without water when they are in town, or how about summer of 2002 , young amish boy falls off and gets run over by what ever it was they where using to work the field with, anyway a passer by see it happen and call for a ambulance, when they get there the Dad would not let the EMT's take the boy by ambulance to the hospital, no they had to find some one with a pickup that would haul the poor boy to town in the back of the truck ,
    maybe the ones in your area are ok , but around these parts I can't find anything good to say about them any more
  • longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Gskyhawk,
    Perhaps it is your state,as I have stated before there are good And bad,just as with us......Are you saying that NO english type folks would do this?The IRS bases its taxes knowing that the average american will cheat.Are you saying you have ALWAYS paid on everything that you brought in?????MOst have not...Furthurmore they use LESS services but YOU want them to pay all that YOOU do....Seems a bit harsh.I've met em both .their ARE AMISH,Mennonite and US allike that are bad,sometimes,"wolves in sheeps clothing"comes to mind.I don't think that it is right to paint them all with the same brush,its obvious from the respondents on this post that they are not ALL bad.....Just my 2...L.H.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the Amish are a variety of Mennonite. Sort of the "orthodox" version. I don't know about Dunkers. All I know of them is that part of the Battle of Antietam was fought in a Dunker churchyard. Up in N. Minnesota and N. Dakota they have Hutterites. These are Anabaptists, like the Amish, but aren't in the same grouping. I've met a few Amanas, too... They aren't Anabaptists, but had a similar, simple and rural lifestyle, till about the 1930's. Now they're all modern, but still bilingual in Low German.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    longhunter like I said maybe in other areas they are find, I'm talking about the ones that I have had personal experience with.
    My biggest complain about them is very simple , they should not be treated any defferent than anyone else because of their religion or their life style , they should have to abide by all rules , regulation and or laws in their personal and business lives as any one else and they don't, they get away with alot of crap because of what they are and its not right
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    We don't have any Amish here. But we have many Hutterian Brethern
    Colonies , known around here as Hutterites.
    They are good God fearing people, They like to barter, and have a
    good beer. They make great wine. And they never give me any problem
    when I hunt on there land. They are very thrifty, and never will
    they not stop to offer a hand if you need one. I have no issues
    with them at all. They are all around here. Always like any other
    people they likely have their good and bad.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • 11thcanopy11thcanopy Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth, I remember seeing what I believe were Amish at a number of Ohio Gun Collector Association shows In Columbus and sometime later in Cleveland. From what I have read from the other post assume they must be hunters rather than collectors.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    The Amish and many groups like them are very conservative and have many aspects in their types of society that most democrats are trying to achieve under the guise of liberalism. They essentially have socialized medicine as the church ulimately pays for any medical care required. They pay no or little taxes. The wealth is shared among all(kind of). The society gives assitance to those members that are unable carry their weight. There are no homeless. None are without work. And very few of the ills (murder, teen (unwanted) pregnancy, abortion, homosexuality and etc. the mainstream society suffers from. There is however, in exchange for these, some loss of personal freedoms. One of the first things we can learn from them is the basis for the subject of this post. It wouldn't hurt any of us to SLOW DOWN our lives in general.