In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ak-47 stock....14 yr old daughter....wood burner!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in General Discussion
There are plenty of AK stocks at the store right now...because sometimes we take them off and add a folder to have a good mix to choose from. I had my daughter down there last week and I thought it would be fun to see what she would do if I set her have at an AK stock with a wood burning tool.

She was nervous at first, because it felt like she was doing something WRONG to a gun. I got her past all of that after a little while and pointed out that it was only a stock and there were plenty....so she couldn't mess up. She decided on skulls (seemed appropriate for a Romanian AK) and practiced on the parts that would not be seen.

After about two hours she had that stock covered in little skulls. She found a thin pencil line drawn on at first worked better than free hand. The thing that suprised EVERYONE is that actually SOLD today!!! Now she wants me to bring her more stocks...I will have to think about that one.

Maybe this could be a good contest thing for the forum members who would like to participate....I have the stocks to spare if we could get some rules and a prize for the best stock. I can't imagine what some of you would do to one of these.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What.......no pic? [:(]
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any pics of this stock?
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We put it on a gun and stuck it on the rack while she was there just to show her that she had done a good job....I REALLY thought it would be one of those things you "un-do" when your child has forgotten about it. I didn't expect it to sell. I wish I had a pic. no-can-do though because it sold.....I still can't believe it.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I'm in for a giveaway! Thanks for a great chance to get some young artists work before they become too rich and famous.[:p][:p]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You keep a name of the seller right?....Contact him/her and ask if you can take a pic of it ....
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    of all the carveing and airbrush work i have done, i never even considered doing something on a stock till now...just seemed sacri-ligious some how!
    did do some work for some Rolling Thunder guys once and something like that seems about right for a stock...hhmmmmmm

heres a couple of parts i got pics of from my project bike..
    http://oldemagics.bravepages.com/www/THE_ART_PAGE.html
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    I engrave metal. send the receiver
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...well good for her, she's probably still talking about it...[;)]

...I don't do wood burning, I shoot, so...send guns, thanks...[:p]

ani-texas-flag.gif
    edited November -1
    She is pretty proud. I think her next stock is going to involve some kind of Lion theme. She has gotten out all of her books with pictures of cats. I can't imagine that the next one will go over as well as the first, but we will see.

For this other idea....I need some kind of help to figure out the details. Maybe if I can send out ten stocks...(to the first ten who want to participate)...give a certain amount of time to complete the "artwork." When the time for completion is finished everyone can either send the stock back to me and I will put it on a gun, take pics, or...if you have a gun to put it on and send in pics yourself...the gun pic HAS to be plain (black background) and maybe we can let the moderators be the judges.

If you want to keep the stock and you send it to me...I will send it back to you after the completion of everything. E-mail me the address to send the stock and I will send TEN out....the rest of the details I will need help with. Things like....what if people have access to their own stocks??? Do you think there should be limits on the mediums that can be used??? (fiberglass, welding, paint, any restrictions?) Am I missing anything? Does a moderator want to volunteer for this???

I am just trying to think ahead and would like to get this thing going if anyone is interrested just send an address and I will send them out. I will let you guys know when I have reached ten. The sooner you guys get the stocks, the longer you have to work on them. If you have a daughter or a son I bet they would LOVE to do this.
  • Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would be interested in a stock to fit a Norinco Ak, Can she do Praying hads maybe? (fingers running the direction of the barrel?)
    Just let me know. Best of luck!
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about panty liners with little AK's printed on them? Then we could have a slogan contest. My slogan would be "Rugged, reliable and spring time fresh".
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    How about panty liners with little AK's printed on them? Then we could have a slogan contest. My slogan would be "Rugged, reliable and spring time fresh".

or panty liners with little ARs on them. the slogan would would be, sticky, synthetic and jams in all the wrong places...
    edited November -1
    The majoriy of stocks I have are the Russian and very few of them are smooth, one color wood. They are usually a HEAVY wood grain....so if I send out ten of them, they will all be the same to be fair.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    The majoriy of stocks I have are the Russian and very few of them are smooth, one color wood. They are usually a HEAVY wood grain....so if I send out ten of them, they will all be the same to be fair.

Are the stocks plain or with wings?
    edited November -1
    I was at a gunshow last week and I saw a lot of AKs with stocks that had been decorated by carving or burning. There were names, dates etc. like "Ludo, Bosnia Tour '94" I believe that AK stocks decorated with eastern-bloc logos, slavic names, places etc. are selling at a premium as "war relics"
    edited November -1
    I doubt anything that my daughter does would pass for a war relic, but it is pretty cool to see how happy she was when I told her it sold.....for real...not lying.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Please post photo of 14-year-old daughter. [:D]
    edited November -1
    UMMmmmmm.........no.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    such a photo would be offensive
    edited November -1
    If she were dressed like her mother hadn't taught her that she is intelligent, beautiful, and to be respected as a person and never should have to degrade herself to less than that....then that would be offensive. Good thing she has great respect for herself and would never even wear anything that couldn't be posted.

Im not putting a picture of her up....because she is so pretty I don't want to hear the "pervs" talking about her here...even fully dressed and a decent photo would shurely be too much for them to be subject to.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    If she were dressed like her mother hadn't taught her that she is intelligent, beautiful, and to be respected as a person and never should have to degrade herself to less than that....then that would be offensive. Good thing she has great respect for herself and would never even wear anything that couldn't be posted.

Im not putting a picture of her up....because she is so pretty I don't want to hear the "pervs" talking about her here...even fully dressed and a decent photo would shurely be too much for them to be subject to.
    your a good dad locust. i have never worked with wood in that way, so keep me out. thanks anyway
    edited November -1
    oh jeez lets paint pretty flowers on the war relics...your honor, I object. counsel is....just plain goofy. next thing you know were gona have panty hose hangin in the bathroom[xx(]
    edited November -1
    She put skulls on her AK stock...I think she will eventually put a flower on one, but next is somekind of lion theme....I think you missed that scott.
    edited November -1
    Oh, and almost forgot....I have always HATED pantyhose...so I don't wear them. I have used them to tie up tomatoe plants though.
    edited November -1

Um, well, how about one just of some article of clothing? Or, uh, um, one of her bicycle?
    edited November -1
    She put skulls on her AK stock...I think she will eventually put a flower on one, but next is somekind of lion theme....I think you missed that scott.

goth girl eh?.....any tatoos yet?
    edited November -1
    No....but she did ask about some peircings...A BIG NO to that also. I cannot believe some people let their kids do all of that crap to themselves and wonder later why they can't get their act together and be productive people. I am all for doing whatever you want to when you are old enough to do so and out paying you way in life.
    edited November -1
    Same with my son. he wanted to do piercings when he was eight. I told him he could practice on other kids until he was eighteeen.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DWS this is a 14 year old girl that did something she's proud of. If I thought you were a horses * before you have now confirmed it.
    edited November -1
    I have one address....I am sending out the stock to them today. If you want to get one for yourself or a child of yours to do....just send me an address to send the stock to. I am excited to see what some of you can do to one of these.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    DWS this is a 14 year old girl that did something she's proud of. If I thought you were a horses * before you have now confirmed it.

Up your nose, chubbie.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DaBowMan18

your a good dad locust. i have never worked with wood in that way, so keep me out. thanks anyway

Bowman,, She's a mom. And she's holding up pretty well under the presure these days. If she makes it through a couple more weeks of this harrassment I dont think anybody will ever bother her again.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm amazed she let her daughter loose with a wood burning tool and she don't allow smoking in the shop.

Wonder how much the fumes from that project devalued the rest of her inventory??[:D]

Seriously though, that sounds pretty neat locust, wish I could have seen the stock. I'm glad it sold and it's a testament to the talent your daughter has.

Congratulations, you must be very proud!!
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Being a custom knifemaker I could get totally carried away with a project like that. Woodburning is a good idea, as are inlays of various kinds, exotic woods, scrimshawed mammoth ivory, etc.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Locust Fork. Most of the people on here are decent and upstanding but there is a hand full that think they are funny when in reality they are just pathetic old men to be pitied. Don't pay them any attention and give them hell when you have to!
    edited November -1
    No worries....I am fine[:D]!!! I have sent out two stocks and can't wait to show you guys what I am going to put up as a "prize."

I had planned on putting it up as a give away, but this thing-a-ma-bob will make a great "best stock" prize.

I will get pics and post the prize soon....I hope to get all of the stocks out soon, so you guys enter and we can get this started!
  • sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
    edited November -1
    I am reminded of a thread I just saw on Cocobolo wood.
    seems someone had a bad reaction ( rash on his hand) to that wood.
    Others said there were other woods that could be bad to work with.
    Working with dust or smoke could be a bad thing with out a good mask.
    Anyone else see this, it was very interesting.
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cocobolo dust is known to cause skin and respritory issues for many folks.
    edited November -1
    If you have a shoot tube in your building...I have found NO dust can ever harm you if that stuff doesn't. Its like the Godzilla dust of all particles.