In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn, must be a shock to those running loose in Florida.

KC
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a cougar in Applebees last night, she looked healthy.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...plenty two legged ones all over place...I got attacked by a "Couger-ette"....last week.at the 7-11....
  • Options
    BeekeeperBeekeeper Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is one on camera here in southern Ky.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I call BS to that statement unless you say bobcats can grow to over 80 pounds
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen one, here in Northern NY, and have seen sign from others up in the Adirondack Park.

How do I know if it is an Eastern or Western cougar....the cowboy hat and boots?
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have PERSONALLY seen two in s. Illinois. Plus one in Carbondale got run over by a train a few years back.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have seen a few around our farm, DNR claims they were tame/zoo animals that escaped private owners if they did exist....
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In fact, the Center for Biological Diversity, seeing a bright spot in the depressing headline, praised the delisting of the eastern cougar as a way for states to introduce western cougars, like the one pictured above, into new habitats.

"We need large carnivores like cougars to keep the wild food web healthy, so we hope eastern and midwestern states will reintroduce them," said Michael Robinson, a conservation advocate at the Center for Biological Diversity. "Cougars would curb deer overpopulation and tick-borne diseases that threaten human health."

Because this has worked so well with coyotes...
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think you are talking about sub species, we have them on game cameras in Wis. too.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait, it is not earth that matters is it?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BoltactionMan
    Damn, must be a shock to those running loose in Florida.

KC

Different subspecies.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Learn something new (maybe) everyday.

Mountain lion, puma, cougar, panther?this cat is known by more names than just about any other mammal! But no matter what you call it, it's still the same cat, Puma concolor, the largest of the small cat species. ... Here in Southern California they are commonly called mountain lions.

Seems the "eastern" cougar didn't exist in any numbers for quite some time.

Getting as far away as possible from the east coast proves their intelligence is higher than many people.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ones in CT are going to be heart broken to know they are the only ones left. CT swears we don't have any but I personally have seen 3 & know at least a dozen people who have seen cougars across the state.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Last seen in 1938. I would say its in the same category as the red wolf.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Eastern Cougar" may not mean to a biologist what "cougars east of the Mississippi" means to the rest of us. Just because you can still see pigeons does not mean that there are still passenger pigeons, for example.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    No Cougars East of the Mississippi
    I guess they can?t swim.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was one sighted and photographed here last week in Rosendale, WI. and shown on the news about 80 miles from my house. I'm nearly 180 miles east of the Mississippi. There have been a few more sighted up north near Rhinelander that is still over 100 miles east of the Mississippi.
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In November 2002 a less than full adult was road killed in front of my second home in Kents Store, Fluvanna Co. Va. on Rt. 601 now called Venable Road. A bald eagle feed on it for a little while my dad said. Neighbors on other side of road and up a ways reported seeing several adults. I tried calling newspapers and several places down there but no one seemed interested.

I took a picture of it and finally nothing left but skeleton. I saved the skull (lower jaw missing) with the two long teeth( fangs/canine?)and other teeth intact.

I am not doing photos on GB yet but if anyone would like to post pictures on GB of skull and carcass before buzzards got it, send me a E-mail and I will send pictures.
  • Options
    44pinshooter44pinshooter Member Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live about 35 miles south-west of Armalite............. Ain't no kitty cats here, other than the one who chases our neighbors horses or the one my kid saw hauling * through the woods behind our house or the one the neighbor has on trail-cam and those tracks in the mud and snow are just in your imagination..........

quote:Originally posted by armilite
    There was one sighted and photographed here last week in Rosendale, WI. and shown on the news about 80 miles from my house. I'm nearly 180 miles east of the Mississippi. There have been a few more sighted up north near Rhinelander that is still over 100 miles east of the Mississippi.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this article, they are all the same cat. The only difference is where they live. But their genetics are still the same animal

animals.sandiegozoo.org/animals/mountain-lion-puma-cougar

You guys got to quit reading those liberal tree hugger articles, they're all full of lies
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has been a topic for debate here in eastern Pa. for as long as I can remember [:0] Some folks say that mt. lions are here , some (mostly WCO's) say not . Personally , I have never seen one , but believe they could be around here & there . There are some really remote/Isolated areas up in the northern counties of Pa. Like Potter , Tioga , Bradford and such .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again, let's not be imprecise.

The Eastern Cougar was considered a subspecies of cougars. Those that hold to that designation now think it is extinct, but that OTHER cougars are still present in eastern states.

But different biologists sat that there was no Eastern subspecies, and therefore we are seeing regular cougars.

IN BOTH CASES, NOBODY IS SAYING THERE ARE NO COUGARS IN THE EAST.

Reading comprehension, people.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 of us saw one in the field behind my house a few years ago ,in eastern NC
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)]If a Cougar is in the East, is he not a Eastern Cougar?
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 winters ago my wife and I saw one come out of the timber into a corn field, turned right around and went back into the woods! Never before nor ever since. We're about 10 miles E. of Lake Geneva, Wi. They ARE east of the Mississippi.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is starting to look like the same dickweeds calling "CLIMATE CHANGE" have switched to Extinction of Eastern Cougars.[:D]
  • Options
    mossberg500manmossberg500man Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    there's been numerous sightings here in north central Wisconsin near antigo recently
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eastern Mount'n Cougar
    Mountn_cougar.jpg
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A north western Illinois, retired sheriffs deputy shot one in his barn yard a couple years ago. guess that was the last one to ever escape across the Mississippi river. Not sure why want to lie to us, just makes everyone wonder what the heck is a matter with them.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read that yesterday. Taking them off of the list enables re-establishment of other populations of cougars, like has been done with elk in some states.

Though cougars will eventually establish breeding population through out the east on their own. They've been sighted here in Indiana already. It won't be long until be have populations of cougars and black bears here. People are more likely to tolerate the bears than the cougars.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS, I met one last Saturday at Bud's in Indy.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    BS, I met one last Saturday at Bud's in Indy.

They are all over the place here in SC. Some are bold and will come right up to you.
  • Options
    jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can have some of ours here in Oregon. Our county has over 300
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I saw a cougar in W. Virginia about 5 years ago! Dead on the side of the road. I even stopped and backed up to confirm it was what I thought it was.

I was headed to my wife's family reunion. One of her cousins was a state trooper (in MD). He didn't believe me, so I took him back to where I saw it and it was still there. He freaked out, called some dudes (DNR or someone and they came out and took it away after taking a bunch of pictures).

Ummmm...maybe that was the last one, but there was at least one there then!

WVDNR will never admit that big cats still roam the hills! A few years ago one was killed crossing RT 60 just west of Montgomery WV, a guy stopping to take pictures had his camera confiscated by a conservation officer after he refused to "move on".... DNR has no record of this!
    They refused to acknowledge yotes, calling them 'wild dogs' till so many were brought in that they had to.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I give up. It is blatantly obvious that the thing that's extinct is reading comprehension.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I give up. It is blatantly obvious that the thing that's extinct is reading comprehension.

My current hypothesis is that most people on here never read a linked article, or the replies in the post.

They see "No cougars east of Mississippi", then immediately reply with an anecdote proving it is all liberal propaganda.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again, let's not be imprecise.

The Eastern Cougar was considered a subspecies of cougars. Those that hold to that designation now think it is extinct, but that OTHER cougars are still present in eastern states.

But different biologists sat that there was no Eastern subspecies, and therefore we are seeing regular cougars.

IN BOTH CASES, NOBODY IS SAYING THERE ARE NO COUGARS IN THE EAST.

Reading comprehension, people.

Like the Florida cougar. Isolated and inbreed long enough to develop some of it's own traits. They had to breed some western cougar back into them to stop the deterioration happening with the inbreeding.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

My current hypothesis is that most people on here never read a linked article, or the replies in the post.

They see "No cougars east of Mississippi", then immediately reply with an anecdote proving it is all liberal propaganda.

Have you tested this hypothesis?
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

I grew up in So. ILL. , seen a 'big cat' once and heard years of stories bout them ?

Grasshopper : where are you located @ in So. ILL. ? I grew up in Energy
    I also remember the train/cat episode !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?