In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

check engine light on this am

2»

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dont have cat convertors any more ...[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LMAO well thanks for making that clear--just don't go 'round telling too many people as it's only a $2,500 fine for having removing them--to the shop that did it and to the owner who knows LOL. Whatcha do is to be sneaky is bust out the bricks THEN put up empty cat shells to at least look like ya have cats LOL.[:D][:D][:D] One of the shops we used to deal with got nailed and by the time EPA & CARB(California Air Resource Board) were done with him he had a $26,000 fine because he had done it so many times and was forbidden from installing converters.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    Way to many back yard alley mechanics here...We don't even know what the code is and we have many explantitons as to why you need to take it to Auto Zone or Advanced. Just to check your code? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Just because you have a code of P2032 or what ever the code maybe and it says O2 sensor, does not mean its to O2 sensor at all.

That is a diagonistic measure that sends you into the right direction of which you need to furthermore diagnose. It does not mean replace your O2 sensor, it simply says there is a circuit problem within that entire circuit somewhere.

You can go to Advance or Auto Zone all day long and wheel barrel all the parts in as long as you have the time to do so and don't mind come backs...Or in your case its still got to go back, because it still isn't fixed. Thats what they want..You to have to keep coming back in.

If its a so called gas cap problem, that will only be because you left it off after a fill up....A simple clear of codes will fix that. But that will also send you into the EGR code ..Exhaust gas recirulation. You will have to find the true air leak, which means you must now have to use a smoke machine to force it out. The smoke will pin point your problem if you see smoke leaking out.

Let me know what your true code is and I can hands down tell you the direction you need to go...I have shop key at my finger tips.

Lemme guess. You are a mechanic, and you abhor the fact that some folks would rather do it themselves than come to you and pay exponential sums of money for P&L.

Nope I'm not a Tech anymore and haven't been one for over 8 years now. Just want to help mouse if I can.
  • penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hehateme
    quote:Originally posted by penetraitor
    Way to many back yard alley mechanics here...We don't even know what the code is and we have many explantitons as to why you need to take it to Auto Zone or Advanced. Just to check your code? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Just because you have a code of P2032 or what ever the code maybe and it says O2 sensor, does not mean its to O2 sensor at all.

That is a diagonistic measure that sends you into the right direction of which you need to furthermore diagnose. It does not mean replace your O2 sensor, it simply says there is a circuit problem within that entire circuit somewhere.

You can go to Advance or Auto Zone all day long and wheel barrel all the parts in as long as you have the time to do so and don't mind come backs...Or in your case its still got to go back, because it still isn't fixed. Thats what they want..You to have to keep coming back in.

If its a so called gas cap problem, that will only be because you left it off after a fill up....A simple clear of codes will fix that. But that will also send you into the EGR code ..Exhaust gas recirulation. You will have to find the true air leak, which means you must now have to use a smoke machine to force it out. The smoke will pin point your problem if you see smoke leaking out.

Let me know what your true code is and I can hands down tell you the direction you need to go...I have shop key at my finger tips.

I don't know what car line you work on, but on Hondas' the EGR system has nothing to do with the evap system or any "fuel cap" code, which (for a Honda at least) is p0456 or 1456.
    At least in 13 years of working on Hondas, I haven't seen any evap problem related to an EGR problem.

I can't have an argument here...I haven't been a tech for over 8 years now. And I could be rusty in some areas. But in my time I was a good one.

Sometimes I can't type or spell if I wanted to. But I do know one thing. I like to drink beer while I'm drunk.[:D]
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    Could be cheap gas. I bought 5 gallons at a local (rural) station awhile back for my mower. It absolutely wouldn't run on it.
    Put the gas/wbottle of HEAT in my old pickup on top of some other gas. Truck ran OK, but check engine light would come on intermitently until it was all run out.
    You can take your car to any one of several nationwide parts dealers and they'll run a free diagnostic on it.

Actually they got sued by mechanics for "offering free service work" so they can't even LOAN the scanner tool anymore. You have to buy it from them. However, if you do purchase one, I believe they will probably help you use it. At least that's the way it is in California now.

I don't know about that! Several places in my area of California still do free checks.