In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Use of a cane...which side?

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
My buddy sprained his right knee. He has a bunch of pain killers and they gave him a cane.

The question came up, since nobody told him, what side should he use the cane? The side with the bad knee or the other side.

I said the other side to take weight off the bum leg.

Comments

• Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whichever side is bad is the side you use the cane on. This becomes very apparent when you start using the cane.

Merc
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cane should be used in the hand opposite the injured leg because
    when you walk, your arms move opposite to your legs.
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    I have a bad right knee and I use the cane on the right side to take the weight off the right knee. You learn to move the cane with the movement of the leg.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    The correct way is to use the cane on the good side to take the pressure off the bad side. That's what my doctor told me and what I do.
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://orthopedics.about.com/od/castsfracturetreatments/qt/cane.htm

When using a cane, hold the cane in the hand opposite of the leg that needs support.
    For example, if you have an injured right knee, hold the cane with your left hand.
    When you place your right leg out, swing the cane out with the leg.

When placing pressure on the right leg, also place pressure on the cane with the left hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assistive_cane

Canes are generally held in the hand on the opposite side of the injury or weakness.
    This may appear counter-intuitive, but it allows the cane to be used for stability
    in a way that lets the user focus much of their weight away from their weaker side and onto the cane,
    thus preventing their center of balance from swaying from side to side as they walk.
    It also allows for fluid movement that better matches walking, as the hand on the opposite side
    of the leg generally sways forward in normal human locomotion.
    Personal preference, or a need to hold the cane in the dominant hand means some cane users
    choose to hold the cane on the same side as the affected leg.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee I love this place!!!

A "50-50 chance of an answer question" and that's
    what he gets!![;)][:0][:o)]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    And he got 60% right answers [:0]
    The cane is used on the opposite side of the bad side [^]
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always wondered that too. Now the correct answer is right here in front of me, Just can't see the forest for all the trees.[^]
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had to use one the Doctor told me to use it on my good side. That lasted about an hour. I switched to the bad side and it worked much better.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opposite side for me.
    Back injuries affect left side sciatic nerve down to big toe.
    Long walks require right side cane.
    User will determine correct side soon enough.
    It may depend on the injury.
    There are always crutches.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would just get a wheel chair and let medicaid and medicare pay for it. Problem solved. Anymore questions you guys need to be answered???
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Anymore questions you guys need to be answered???"

Yeah....

why do you drive on a parkway,
    and park on a driveway?????
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Asked my daughter who is a therapist and has been for 22 years. Said opposite side is correct.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switch sides as my hand starts to hurt but start out opposite side. I have found using a cane that is wooden is better. I have one that has a brass eagle handle and it gets uncomfortable fast. My wooden cane has a screw off tip that has a spike for slick or rough ground. Would make a nice defensive point too.[;)]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can answer this. Let him try both sides and use the side that feels right. It won't take him long to figure it out.

There, problem solved. [:D]
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I walked over to see him, and he's sitting in a wheelchair drinking a beer. That settles that.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is America so he better check with the DOD, TSA, FBI, ATF, OSHA and Homeland security so he does not get charged with terrorist actions by using the cane incorrectly.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Is he gonna' get one of the cool ones with a sword inside?

..My son gave me one of those. Problem is that the top end is a very
    realistic looking percussion pistol. (though fake) I draw enough
    attention in public without that. It's not very comfortable either.
    ..Since I never know which side the sciatica will hit me, I use the
    cane on my dominate hand side. My doc did say to use it on the side
    that is not hurting.
  • Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could never figure this out either so I bought another cane.
    Use them on both.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my cane in either hand, it is used mostly for balance. I just need the extra point to keep me upright.

But yes my Ortho Dr wants the cane on the opposite side of the leg that hurts.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got a matching pair of custom canes...now what do i do ??
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm nursing a sprained knee right now, but I've stopped using the cane. The cane is used to take the weight off of the bad knee, regardless of whether you use the cane in either hand.
    What's next?
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be the opposite, or good side. Left hand for him. I always remember the good side by considering those who have a stroke and can't correctly use an arm and leg on the one side. Makes it impossible to be the bad side, so it has to be the good side.
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But a cane is more for support and balance than for taking the weight off. He should probably have crutches for that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a good rule of thumb; if you have to use the cane on the same side as the injury, you should probably be on crutches...not using a cane.

That's probably true. My sprain is in the left knee and it hurt so much that when I put weight on my left foot that I placed the cane next to the left foot whether I had the cane in the left or right hand. Once the sprain started to improve I could use the cane in the opposite hand and stride naturally without too much of a problem. Pain will definitely dictate where the tip of the cane needs to be placed.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The best thing you can do to get a sprained knee to heal is to rest and walk as little as possible.
    What's next?
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,064 ******
    edited November -1
    opposite side of injury,,
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's a preference thing. In order to make my own opinion I got my hip broke by a little ten year old girl, had a total replacement twice, walker for about a year, then graduated to a cane. The only way I could use the cane was on my good side.

.45-.9mm

blonds- brunettes

Ford-dodge

any car-government motors
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone suggested pinching the cane betwixt the cheeks of the * so they can be ambidextrous? [;)][:I]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    I can answer this. Let him try both sides and use the side that feels right. It won't take him long to figure it out.

There, problem solved. [:D]

I think that would be the best answer!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a hip joint replaced and used a walking cane for several weeks.

One holds the cane with the hand opposite to the injury and advance it together with the injured leg.

As the good leg advances and the bad leg holds the body's weight, one leans against the cane to take some of the strain off the injured leg.

You're welcome.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is he gonna' get one of the cool ones with a sword inside?

My Mom has one of those. She honestly did not realize it either.... She had bought it at a garage sale or flea market, but ended up not liking the handle. Now that she has had the hips replaced she doesn't use one any more. Have to make sure she leaves it to me!!!
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one with a sword also. When I was using it a lot, I took the blade off, because you don't want to go thru a metal detector with one. Especially if you fly. On an airplane that is. A commercial one to be clear.[;)]
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually the last cane i got has an eagle catching a fish handle..by a master wood carver in Donetsk, Ukraine...beautiful ...plan on getting another when i can decide which style i want
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mine is made of willow fashioned by an eskimo artist from Barrow with a whale carved handle. Pretty neat. The wife bought it a long time ago.
    What's next?
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it may have to do with why you are using a cane to start with. My right ankle is toast,,they say I will have to have it fused solid in the future, at times my foot rolls to the inside and if not careful I hit the ground,,they have me using my cane on my bad side and swing it with my leg, that way I use it basically like a 3rd leg "no jokes". if my ankle gives the cane is still planted for balance so I do not fall
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He'll figure it out himself the first time he tries walking with it. When I had an operation on my Achilles tendon (twice)I found that using the cane on the side of the bad leg worked best so I could take the weight off of it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually it can be used on either side depending upon what the user likes. I use it mostly on the opposite side, but occasionally on the same side.
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm not as old and crippled as some of you old farts! [}:)] I've only used a cane once, and it was only workable for me on the injured side. I tried it on the non-injured side, and nearly fell down!

I'm puzzled how it could possibly work on your good side? Doesn't your foot take the weight then? I had a sprained ankle, so I probably did need crutches, as someone said.....

Merc
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    i got a matching pair of custom canes...now what do i do ??

Sit in a wheelchair and drink beer! [;)]