In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many of you would?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Help a Law Enforcement Officer out if you came upon one who was in a struggle with an assailant and no one else was around?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Sure, unless he/she snapped, "Stay out of this!" Some trtained officers don't want civilians endangereing everyone, I've heard.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on who has what weapons on them! I would try to, one way or another depending on the situatuion!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Help is a relative term. I would in deed help. The situation would dictate what type of help to rendor. 100 situatioins 1000 combinations of help. The average citizen is not traind to help in these situation and could hurt the situation instead of helping it. It would be an indivudual call at the scean. my 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I would,unless,as Nick sayed,I was ordered not to.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would do what I could. I have a lot of them that are friends.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it looked like the officer was in big trouble I would jump right in, if it didn't look like he was in bad trouble I would approach and yell "YOU NEED HELP"?, if he says yes I would be there. Don't worry about me pulling a gun, anything I drive always has a baseball bat in it, lets see someone fight with a busted knee[:D][:D][:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have before. I was waiting for a friend outside a convenience store when a man came running out from a fence corner with a female officer chasing him down. Instinctive reaction was to tackle him while he passed by me. I took him down and moved out of the way for the officer to restrain and cuff him. She was quite thankful for it.. [:)]

Now, in regards to an ongoing struggle, it would be a bad judgement call IMO to just jump right in, seeing as the officer would have no clue who you were siding with and could see you as another potential attacker. I believe the appropriate measure would be to voice your ability to help and let the officer make the decision as to whether he/she wants you involved.
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I would help. Even if it was to just call 911. Most police around here could use the help no matter what it was. I am not stupid and my dad was a cop for almost 20 years so I know what not to do at least.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I would ask them if they wanted/needed any help. Then I would help if they wanted me to. Otherwise I would stay back till the suspect was in custody. Being I'm friends with many LEO's I would hear about it if I just stood by and did nothing when they needed help.

Get the job done and come home safe guys.

I rush in where others flee.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early spring of 1969 there were three armed escaped convicts hiding out in our area which at that time was very rural. The State Police came around to several homes of men who were known in the community to shooter/outdoorsmen and inlisted there help in flushing these escaped convicts out since knowing the area well.

I accompanied my father and a State Trooper that day on a very unusual hunt. Pop carried his Remington 700 in .300 Wmag at the request of the Trooper. The Trooper, who knew Pop, gave very few instructions other than not to shoot unless instructed to do so or unless fired upon and asked more advice about the area where Pop thought the convicts might be hold up.

Within a few hours these guys were located and surrounded. The Trooper had Pop set up on a knoll and over a loud speaker the convicts were told to surrender or be shot. The convicts about 300 yards away could see they were in an impossible situation and laid face down in the swamp with their firearms thrown aside.

The Troopers moved in secured the weapons and cuffed the convicts. I remember these guys walking handcuffed past us on the way out of the swamp and looking at Pop and me like it was yesterday. I was cold and wet myself and I guess that made the scared and desparate look in the convicts eyes a little more scarey to me.

There was little fan fair during and after the whole event, just a radio news report and a little write up in the paper. No SWAT teams, helicopter, or special units or devices used. It seemed all so simple and easy to accomplish and no one got hurt or shot. There was a word of thanks from the Troopers on the scene and then about a week later a State Trooper stopped by with a thank you letter.

So to answer the question of the post, yes. But, I sincerely doubt that a citizens help would be accepted unsolicited or by request unless today unless it was an immediate absolute life or death emergency.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, if wanted.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Of course I would pitch in.

f9ef9b6e.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • Ghost Town PosseGhost Town Posse Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would ask first, then help if needed

163500_item.jpgSomeday when I'm cool I'll have a .50

Me own a 9mm...I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire!
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They (the cops) carry guns here in Omaha, whereas I CAN'T, partially due to THEIR insistance that it be so. So why the hell should *I* help an ARMED COP?

THEY are the ones who don't want us non-cop peasants carrying weapons.

THEY are the ones who are oh-so-highly-trained in the use of firearms.

THEY don't need our help, because we're just a bunch of dumb taxpaying sheep that they have to protect because we're too stupid to be trusted with firearms, and besides that, we're ignorant of the law and proper police procedure, so our interference would ruin their case.

THEY have pepper spray, a club, and a radio to call for "backup" anyway.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely. Depending on the situation, I would normally ask first. If the officer was down, I might not wait. Like someone else noted, every situation is different.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I would help for sure.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I would help. Two stories come to mind.
    A few decades ago I was hitchiking across the country. I got a ride in Wyoming with a retired detective from Tampa. He told me he was on disability and didn't have long to live. This surprised me because he was about 50, didn't look too sick.
    He said a year earlier he had been staking out a grocery store for some check fraud artists. Sure enough the guys came in and tried to write a bogus check. When he went to arrest them it got into a fight. He had to fight two big 25 year old guys by himself. No one would help, and he was calling for help. The store manager and asst manager stood by and did nothing, except dial 911. These were the two guys who had called the police to get the check forgers in the first place.
    At one point in the fignt he was trying to throw a bad guy and he went down on his knees, with a bad guy on his back. Busted up both knees.
    The bad guys were finally apprehended when back up arrived.
    He got phlebitis in both legs and never worked another day. The docs told him it was a matter of time until a big blood clot cut loose from his legs and went to the lungs or brain, Turn out the lights.
    So he was taking a last tour of the continenet. He wasn't afraid of hitchikers, he wasn't scared of anything, except that blood clot.
    Man I would have paid $20 to have been in that store. Give me a second to pick up a big ketchup or mayonnaise bottle and I would give a bad guy a headache. Or, run up and kick a bad guy in the ribs. He couldn't fight too good with 3 broken ribs.
    The other case I read somewhere. A guy out west had been hunting with his son. They were driving on the prarie on a rural highway. They passed a trooper who had been writing a ticket. They saw the bad guy had knocked down the trooper and was going for the trooper's gun.
    The guy pulled over immediately, he was 200 yards past the fight. He pulled out the .270 and laid it over the window, and shot the bad guy in the chest. The trooper was ok.
    Be assured, I would have been the right man for the job to take that shot.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many years ago someone came to my aid so you can bet I would return the deed some how.
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Done it. I'd do it again.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I would help

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I would help as best I could. If the cop asked me to stay out of it I would observe in order to give testimony, or just to be there if the cop changed his mind.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure, if it was Nunn.

Who would not help another human being if they could?

He Dog
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely. The cops is just a person with a job, often a very tough job enforcing rules he/she may not agree with.

besides, you never know, that cop may catch me speeding someday.....[:)]

Just by loudly offering to help the cop may end the struggle right there if you have enough presence... a well placed foot can also do a lot of good without risking yourself signifigantly. (or knee, or fist)
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rugster
    Help a Law Enforcement Officer out if you came upon one who was in a struggle with an assailant and no one else was around?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Yes, I find it depressing that you even have to ask. Just tell me "where" and "how much".[^]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid of about 30, I came upon a CHP Officer trying to subdue about a dozen men. I dragged my 12 Guage pump out of my trunk, racked the slide, laid across my hood, and the crowd became subdued instantly. A couple minutes later three or four county mounties showed up and they cuffed all of them. One of the Deputies wanted to arrest me and confiscate my scattergun, but the CHP Officer backed him down quick. I recieved a big thank you for assisting the CHP.

There have been a couple of other incidents where I've helped a LEO, always with their thanks.

I would do it again.

Oh, yeah... the shotgun wasn't loaded.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Yes I would help, I would ask if he needed help first just to avoid any confusion as to who I was going to help, but ye, Id help.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure if they wanted my help,and if I could be of help.They sure help us.

David Collins
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes , I will help. I will first ask the LEO if I can intervene.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I would not jump right in becasuse the officer would not know if I was friend or foe, but YES I would give help in ANY form that was required, period!

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I have friends in LEO who have helped me out when they shouldn't have, I love them with all my heart...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I've asked every LEO I've talked to for more than a few minutes about if I should help them out or not. The young ones say they doubt they would need any help, the older ones say damn right! All I've ever done thus far is to use my beat up truck to block a drunk driver they were chasing. They said thanks, I said I hoped he didn't scratch the paint job. They are probably still laughing.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I would help in any capacity necessary. If the cop wanted no physical help, I could provide other assistance, as a witness, contolling traffic, whatever.

I got their back.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I would. (and have)
    Why would any American not?
    Don

eng.JPG
    Welcome to America...Now speak English.
    ````````````````````````
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its nice to know so many people would and are willing to help their fellow man.I feel like a person should in most cases because they are part of the society that makes and has to obey these laws.Unlike one person commented the Badge and Uniform represent the people as a whole.I know all of the Laws are not fair,but its the best system in the world.There is not one anywhere better.What prompted this question was I was talking to a older comrad and he was telling me about a traffic stop he made many yrs ago where he had a car stopped and arrested the male driver.He said he had the driver down with one cuff on and was struggling to get his other arm out from under him when the female occupant attacked him.He said she was about to claw his eyes out when a truck driver stopped and helped get her off him.He said he didnt know what would have come of it if the truck driver hadnt stopped to help him.He made a life long friend,he said the trucker drove through the area every couple months and would call him and they would go out to lunch,until about 7yrs ago and the trucker retired.He said they still send each other Christmas cards.Comforting to know how the good always out weighs the bad.Thanks for the input!!

Edited to add:I dont think a person should risk their lives or those of a loved one in any way.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Had to on a regular basis in Flagstaff. Helped a lady cop who got stuck in between two HUGE Navajo brothers who were having a domestic dispute. When I got there she had him around the neck and was on his back with her feet about 2' off the ground. The guy kept trying to get her and kept turning around like a big bear. The lady cop was about 5'5" 115lbs, the "bear" was about 6'8" 350+lbs. The guy went down after several blows from a 4 D-cell Maglite[}:)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Depends on whether or not my actions would improve the situation or complicate it.

However, assuming the situation was pretty clear and my help was necessary or would be appreciated (as in, it would bring the whole situation to a close sooner rather than later) then yes, of course I would help.
  • 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You dang skippy I would. And I would seriously question the integrity of any man that answered "no" to this question.
  • ArielleArielle Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah I'd help if I could, even if it was to get more help somehow. They protect us we should try to return the favor if we can.

Arielle

"I am the opposite of a stage magician... he gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth, I give you truth that has the appearance of illusion" Tennesee Williams
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    All I've ever done thus far is to use my beat up truck to block a drunk driver they were chasing. They said thanks, I said I hoped he didn't scratch the paint job. They are probably still laughing.
    quote]

People here sometimes get tickets for trying to block fleeing cars during a pursuit. They often show pursuits live on TV & they always say not to try to interfere.