In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Strangest thing you 'caught' fishing?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have 2 entries.

We're anchored in lake erie. We go to pull the anchor up, it's stuck. We pull, back up, pull foward, etc. We joked we were hooked on the Kellys Island power line.

Took an hour to get the anchor up. Lo and behold- a big piece of black rubber electrical insulation was speared on the anchor.

Ok, on a hook and line- hooked into something. It felt... odd. Here I bring up some guy's reel, pole, everything- snagged through one of the eyes, almost like new condition. Still on the end of HIS line was a small catfish, none the worse for wear. Must have had the pole resting on the side of his boat and it fell in or something. Had to have happened that day or very recently.

Comments

• M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Disease?[:p]

Just kidding. I think everyone has caught a boot or shoe at one time or another
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Fishing off-shore, I have caught a lot of strange fish, namely a poisonous rock fish in Appalachicola, Fl. According to locals, it's pretty lethal, delivering enough toxin to kill a man in about three minutes. Fresh water fishing I too have caught other rods with fish still on the other line. But the strangest thing I have caught was a prosthetic leg in West Point Lake here in Georgia. Pulled it up foot first and when I saw it for the first time, toes and all, I pretty much freaked out, thinking I had hooked the real thing.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Octopus, Stingray, turtle, another fishing rod, and VD. My Dad caught a seagull.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    A cat. i was fishing with a friend at Santee Cooper and got hung in the brush at the lower end of the canal. I was trying to finesse it out and something grabbed. I pulled and ended up bringing a very wet, very PO'd cat about halfway to the boat before I realized I didn't want it in the boat and cut the line.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Beth hooked into something at a fresh water lake we fish, dragged it up and it was a visor off an old car.

I hooked a gator. *LOL
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something that actually struck a top water bait was a huge Bull Frog. I had no idea what I had until I got it to the boat, but it looked like I was reeling in the Loch Ness Monster!!

I've snagged a number of snakes and they are very interesting to deal with!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• chiligunguychiligunguy Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a kid, my Dad and I were fishing at a creek around here. It was dark,no traffic and just us. When I had just gotten used to being there may Dad caught a hell bender(thats what we call them here, might be a water dog there) it looks like a big catfish with 4 legs. Thing scared the crap ouotta me!! When you take them out of the water they scream.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trolling up Current River, my brother bites into a hotdog, it falls off the bun into the water.

Trolling back down an hour later we catch a catfish. Gut it to eat that night, lo and behold, one hotdog.

Caught the fish that ate my brother's hotdog. [:0]
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...On Eagle Lake, Ontario, I was fishing a floating jig and minnow on a slip sinker, just of the bottom. Something didn't feel right. I reeled in a pair of prescription glasses. Another time, it was a 2# rock. I thought it was a walleye, trying to stay deep.
    ...Imagine, on a lake with 63,000 acres, finding a pair of glasses!
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    I was fishing in the Trinity River near Huntsville Texas and caught an eel. We were scared of it as it had a round exposed mouth full of teeth. We cut the line and tossed it over board. Asked a game warden and he called us liars.
  • SuaspontaSuasponta Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pelican, fishing off shore in southern california. Was casting bait and it swooped down and grabbed bait and hook. It was like mananging a large kite! I rolled it in over the deck and it landed on deck and a deck hand cut the line.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    a birch tree.

i tried to teach crystal how to fish...didn't get passed the learning how to cast phase. try 1: landed on her foot. try 2: landed on the rock in front of her foot. try 3: all the way across the river, 1/2 way up a birch, wrapped a large limb, broke my fishing pole...
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Snakes, also get the line cut.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    when i was in queensland...sea snakes[B)][B)][xx(][xx(][xx(][:(]

here...platypus[B)]..the males have a spur on their back lega,if they stick that spur into you there is no known pain killer that will stop the pain for at least 12 months...and you swell up like an elephant...trying to get an angry wriggling platypus off you line in the dark when it`s knocked your torch into the river and not knowing if it`s a male or female is scary!![B)]..i didn`t like to just cut the line as i was using stainless hooks.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    kids bike,turtle,thumb...
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well there's a few things that come to mind.
    A spider crab an eel a sea ray and a painted turtle. [B)]
  • northern militianorthern militia Member Posts: 552 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dads ear with a spinner, both hooks. he looked like a rock star.
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, how big was the Hellbender? I've seen them in the creek, but never caught one.

Stingray and alligator snapping turtle were my strangest.

quote:Originally posted by chiligunguy
    When I was a kid, my Dad and I were fishing at a creek around here. It was dark,no traffic and just us. When I had just gotten used to being there may Dad caught a hell bender(thats what we call them here, might be a water dog there) it looks like a big catfish with 4 legs. Thing scared the crap ouotta me!! When you take them out of the water they scream.
  • oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago at a hot kokanee snagging spot, my mother had a fish on, seagull flew buy and caught its wing around her line. Bird couln't get loose and fell into the water. Out of nowhere came a black lab, quickly leaping into the water, fetched the bird and fish. I had to get my moms pole and then chase the dog down to get her line and fish back. You never forget stuff like that.[:)]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I was fishing the N Fork of the Loxahatchee river, in Jupiter Fl. with my cousin, a few years ago. I cought about a 10" Ladyfish and put it on his rod for Snook bait. He threw it out and about 5 min. later a HUGE BALLED EAGLE grabbed it and started flying away with it.
    It didn't get hooked, but, it spooled the reel and flew off with a few hundred yds. of 12#test!![:0][:0]
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Man, those are some good stories! Especially the artificial leg

I can't touch 'em with a few snakes and a turtle or two.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nasty ole 15 lb Bow fin yuck
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    fishkiller41; I've canoed down the latchahatchee with my brother
    James. He lives in Jupiter. Saw lots of gator sunning.
    Weirdest thing I ever caught was an old rusty can, took it
    off the hook, tossed it on the bank. Few seconds later a
    baby bullhead pops out of the can. Hilarious.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a few of you fish the same lake that cgr visited still a chainsaw camera and gun bottom of that lake.

first thing that I caught when I first move to Fl was a blow fish
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'm surprised no one has had one of these yet. A dead human body. My wife caught him in Minnesota, thought it was a snag. Came up very slowly, had to hand over hand the last dozen feet or so. He was a vacationer who fell in and drowned the day before. Totally freaked out my wife, but being former LE and military police, I'd seen my share already. I tied off his leg and we called 911 on the cell phone. Sheriff's dept. boat came and got him.
    Couldn't get the MRS. to pose for a pic.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seagull At the Santa Monica Pier.

Bat On a Hight lake in Oregon.

Stingray Carlsbad Calif. Cut the line just above where his stinger could not get to me. Got chewed out big time by some Oriental guy. He really wanted that fish. Said the wings were great eating.

Eye, from a fish. Was used to fishing for catfish. Was fishing for trout. I set the hook like you do with catfish. All that I got was its eye.
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had a conversation on this topic on a fishing trip to Canada last summer. The usual storeis about boots, turtles, snakes, a fishing pole with a fish attached. Anyways, each guy was trying to out do the next. Finally one fella (We'll call him Bob to protect his identity since he is on this board often) had enough of the BS and he looks at the last guy (Bubba) to share his story and tells us how he was fishing with Bubba's sister one night and caught the clap ......Game Over....Bob Won.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I was fishing the N Fork of the Loxahatchee river, in Jupiter Fl. with my cousin, a few years ago. I cought about a 10" Ladyfish and put it on his rod for Snook bait. He threw it out and about 5 min. later a HUGE BALLED EAGLE grabbed it and started flying away with it.
    It didn't get hooked, but, it spooled the reel and flew off with a few hundred yds. of 12#test!![:0][:0]

How big were they?[:D]
  • burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by northern militia
    my dads ear with a spinner, both hooks. he looked like a rock star.

[V][V] My dad's shirtless back with a Mepp's spinner when I was about 10, since he couldn't see it I had to cut it out. Did more damage getting it out. The story wouldn't have ended so bad, cept we weren't fishing on the shore- but rather in a johnboat- and I couldn't swim as fast as I could have ran [:D][:D] 25 years later I can still feel that whoopin' [;)]

b
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

[:D]
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I caught a dead rainbow trout one time. Caught a giant bowfin once, must've been 20lbs. They are a strange looking fish. Oh yea and one time I hooked a goose witha crankbait just as it was about two feet off the water, had it on the line for a little while but the line broke.
  • cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    A flat rock, that when I was bringing it off the bottom, the water was creating drag, thought it was a fish.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Abalone fishing (diving) I found a bikini top. [8D]Did I ever tell you about the mermaid that got away?
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cute Redhead. Came right up under the boat. No net needed.
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

[:D][:D]
  • big genobig geno Member Posts: 2,685 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you guys won't believe this one[:0]

I snagged a BEAVER once,man i thought i had hooked into a 20 lb. bass.I was fishing a diving rapala and wham,when he came to the surface i could see the lure stuck in his back,he actually spun my little jon boat around.He was a little one but man did he pull![:D]

I also have caught several clams,i guess they feel your line and open up and grab it.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LOKO383
    I was fishing the N Fork of the Loxahatchee river, in Jupiter Fl. with my cousin, a few years ago. I cought about a 10" Ladyfish and put it on his rod for Snook bait. He threw it out and about 5 min. later a HUGE, BALLED EAGLE grabbed it and started flying away with it.

[:D][:D]

THERE!!! I FIXED IT!! Punctuation Police! SHEESH!!
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    Ex wife went fishing with 4 sailors and came back with a Red Snapper![;)]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LOKO383
    I was fishing the N Fork of the Loxahatchee river, in Jupiter Fl. with my cousin, a few years ago. I cought about a 10" Ladyfish and put it on his rod for Snook bait. He threw it out and about 5 min. later a HUGE, BALLED EAGLE grabbed it and started flying away with it.
    It didn't get hooked, but, it spooled the reel and flew off with a few hundred yds. of 12#test!![:0][:0]How big were they?[:D][:D][:D][:D]THERE!!! I FIXED IT!! Punctuation Police! SHEESH!!Hmmm, I'm not sure punctuation was the real problem! [:D][:D][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Nothing I caught but a friend caught a small shark in the Gulf and brought it back to San Saba , Texas where I lived. Put it on the trotline of another friend who liked to brag about his fishing prowess. Made the front page of the local paper and a lot of folks were afraid to go in the water to check their lines. My friend let the story go for a week before he spilled the beans...San Saba for those who don't know is in the central part of Texas..a long way for a shark to swim [;)]....bull