In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Should The US Intervene In Haiti?

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What does everyone think? Opinions?

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Why do they have oil?[;)][}:)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Yeppers CoCo Nut OIL[:0][:p][:o)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    No.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO, No, No!!!!!!!!!!![:(!]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    No...I say to hell with the rest of the world...let them solve their own problems. So, unless they are a threat to us, then screw'em.

aliens.jpg
  • ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The US has "been there and done that" and not fixed that broken government. How many times are we supposed to intervene there?

I think as a nation we are stretched way too thin to try and "fix" another government.

A country that powerless should be a perfect place for a non-us UN intervention..... if you could count on the UN to actually do anything and not just whine on the sidelines.[;)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Lets do what is done with the CUBANS,, ifn ya make it to our shores then ya get to stay, thats what we need , another country flooding us with their unhappy citizens[}:)][}:)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bite your tongue.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    They don't have oil but they have a lot Voodoo

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    We saw what our last intervention got us... it just set the stage for another intervention.

I say let the French go in like they said they would. It's their former colony, let them deal with the mess.
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Yes they should.One medium sized nuke should straighten things out.
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with OSS. Otherwise let them all kill each other themselves, we have enough of them here that we can return them all to re-populate the place and start anew.

???
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. I just know there is Iraqi WMD buried beneath the streets of Port-au-Prince.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    Yes! I think we should stick our noses in every countries business.After all,we know whats best for everyone.
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck ye! why not? Our country gets involved with everything else. That way the taxes we pay can be used in another country and we will get to pay more next year. We are the BABYSITTER CAPITAL OF THE WORLD! Did you ever imagine what this world would be like if there was no USA! Just one guy talking though!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Classic095
    Lets do what is done with the CUBANS,, ifn ya make it to our shores then ya get to stay, thats what we need , another country flooding us with their unhappy citizens[}:)][}:)]

Yea that's just what we need. Like we don't spend enough time and money picking them up and taking them home over and over again. But what do you expect when we encourage them by saying they can stay if they make it. I reckon I'd keep trying too.
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Hell no!

Surround the place with a few Navy or Coast Guard ships to make sure nobody escapes and just let them fight it out.

There was an AP photograph in today's local paper of a Haitian soldier with a rifle standing guard duty on the beach. A beach that, in another country, would've been a beautiful place but this Haitian beach was piled knee-high with garbage and was overrun with pigs. I say let the mud people waste each other. The fewer of them the better.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think not.The U.S. has a full plate right now.Let the French or maybe the Useless Nations have this one.Just my thought

David Collins
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell no. Let the U.N. go it alone without our help. Just keep them
    from comming here.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    THEY ALREADY HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT SENDING SECURITY FORCES OVER THERE.MY OPINON AS A MILITARY MEMBER IS NO LET ANOTHER COUNTRY DEAL WITH IT.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is yet another attempt by the Republicans to discredit one of the nobler diplomatic missions of the Clinton administration. Can't possibly be true that there is unrest there now. Willy and the boys made sure that good old Jean-Bertrand Aristide was placed in charge of that bababooey hole even though JB dealt with his political opponents by forcing a tire down over their arms, dousing them in gasoline and torching the whole mess. Human Rights, indeed. But then, some of us are so LITERAL on that topic.
  • earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the military should go back in. I did it ten years ago and am ready to do it again. People are in trouble there and that is what we (the military) do. Critizing what we do is what you all do.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep. Bring Baby Doc back.

Clouder..
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    SCREW EM!! They pose no threath to us. This may be due to my very limited exposure to Haitians, but I have yet to meet a Haitian worth risking my neck for. I know that sounds insensitive, but it's the truth. Let them solve their own problems!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a former French colony. How bout standing aside and let them get involved?
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    we got too many fronts now....screw em!

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    People suffer everywhere. We alone will never end all the suffering.

Do they even want us there? And if we do go there, how do we make a decision as to whom we support?

It certainly would create more jobs by sending more National Guard troops overseas so their jobs can be taken up by the unemployed while they are gone.

This one is a United Nations case. The French will never get there in time and if they do, they will surrender as soon as they reach the shore.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    What does everyone think about all the American Citizens (AMCITS) who CHOOSE to live in those type of countries?

I mean, how many times are we going to go in and evacuate (NEO) all of these folks?

It seems to me that unless you are there in some form of Official Diplomatic or US Government role, guess what, better get on the last thing somking out of there, becasue we're not coming for you.

What do you think?

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roboman

signew.JPG

[:(!]AGAIN?????????[:(!]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lets bring our troops home and line the borders of our country with them
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Pull all of our citizens out and tell the UN it's all theirs. We had enough of the Banana Republic crap during the 30's,40's,50's and 60's.
    If our people aren't threatened we don't need to be there. If we pull out and request our citizens to leave and they don't well tough. Let them sink or swim on their own.

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Chaser11
    quote:Originally posted by roboman

signew.JPG

[:(!]AGAIN?????????[:(!]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -

Is there something wrong with asking the board for their opinions?

signew.JPG

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    robo -- Not at all. In fact, you could play "fill in the blank" with your question --

Should The US Intervene In _________

-- and some people, rather than thinking, would make the knee-jerk response of "No!" Few of us who advocate doing the right thing when called for, however, would ever say "Yes" as a knee-jerk response. I don't know yet whether Haiti requires military help from us or not. But we found out in the 40s that isolationism doesn't work, and as the world's only current superpower there are times when we will go and defend peace and freedom.

Haiti is a small place and once upon a time was a National Geographic idyll. Now it's threatening to become a civil war zone. We don't necessarily want to intrude into another country's civil war, so I'm sure this case is being looked at and the American people's temperature being taken on it too. Meanwhile, it appears that a diplomatic answer may actually be possible here. But whether Aristide will survive remains to be seen. In little countries like this, very often the rebels aren't happy until the former leader is dead, regardless.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I think we should implement the old European model and make Iraq an American colony.

Then take a look at Haiti and see if they have anything we want, if they do, make them a colony too.

Iraq would give us volunteers for our military and lots of oil. What would Haiti give us?

I believe we should look at intervention anywhere in this light. We could then use Colonial Troops to right the wrongs in other places in the world that need help, but that we don't wish to colonize.

This would also rid our shores of a lot of democrats and other do-gooders and liberals , who would rush to help the poor people of our Colonies.

Just now thought this up. What do y'all think??

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    edited November -1
    Doug, don't worry about the hijacking. I'd prefer the thread to live and to have more interesting thoughts.

I did just read on CNN that 50 Marines are being sent to help beef up the security at the US Embassy. Hopefully the rebels aren't foolish enough to launch an attack on the compound.

signew.JPG

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    HEHEH I would like to see what would result if the rebels attempted to mess with 50 US marines.... heheh It would be a massacre!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider

...would've been a beautiful place but this Haitian beach was piled knee-high with garbage and was overrun with pigs. I say let the mud people waste each other. The fewer of them the better...

Sounds JUST like Detroit!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    HEHEH I would like to see what would result if the rebels attempted to mess with 50 US marines.... heheh It would be a massacre!

I wouldn't take them so lightly. A buttload of Somalis decided to mess with more than 50 US Rangers and Delta Force and managed to kill 19 and wound countless others.

signew.JPG

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Yes, we should intervene. One nuke oughtta do it.

SP: I fail to see where you have competent grounds to comment. You probably know less about nuclear fission and voodoo than anyone else on the planet, except maybe Arafat. If this was a thread about Haitian folk art, well maybe. But it's not. So shut up.
  • ker2222ker2222 Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we sure that isloationism doesn't work? George Washington warned us of foreign entanglements and advised us to stay out of the problems of the world (those of European nations and their colonies and former colonies specifically, by the way).

Could Hitler or Hirohito have been stopped in the 1930's by the US? I don't know. I do know that the rise of facism in Europe and Asia i nthe 1920s-30s by nations with the military might to seriously challange not only the US but the world is a far cry from what's happening in the world today. No one, not the Russians, not the European Union and certainly not the Haitians nor even the Iraqis have the ability to pose a serious military threat to the US.

A history professor once asked me whatever happened to the Jutes? When I didn't know he told me bluntly that they were all dead. He said during the middle ages, three Nordic peoples migrated to England--the Anglos, the Saxons and the Jutes. He said all three fought over the land. Eventually the Jutes were destroyed and the Anglos and Saxons found peace and intermarried--becoming the Anglo-Saxons. He said there is no other alternative when two or more groups fight over land and are not willing to compromise. Group A will destroy group B, or vice versa, or the two groups will get so sick of fighting that they will find peace and ultimately merge into one new kind of people.

Its kind-of cold blooded but it makes a lot of sense. They only way the Haitians, or any other group for that matter, will find peace is when all are sick of fighting. If we are going to pick a side, then so be it. But, what makes us think we can act as peacekeepers and reverse 10,000 years of human behavior? Frankly, I don't know any Hatians but I know lots of US soldiers. I don't want to see my friends and relatives trade their lives for people I don't know and won't ever know.