In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

snakes, wht did it have to be snakes.

jdb123jdb123 Member Posts: 471 ✭✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
i was out at the lease this weekend for some spring turkey hunting and i was down in some heavy brush focusing on a tom i knew was about to come into range when i heard a very loud hiss, looked down to see a 4' 1/2" western diamondback starting to rattle, he got into that classic rattlesnake strike pose and i had no choice but to blast him, what are some of the scenerios or first aid if bitten by one of these critters? also whats the best snake proof gear available?

Edited by - jdb123 on 04/28/2002 20:23:09

Comments

• Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lite turnacit to the area just above the bite area to slow down the venom travel, ice if available, seek medical attention pronto. DO NOT suck on the site,this will allow the venom another way to travel through the system. you might look into a snake bite kit, outdoors shop in your area should have them.
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    If he bites you in the butt and I'm yer huntin' partner, you will probably die.

Most folks say that since a rattler has a hemotoxin venom that you should report immediately to an emergency room. Most folks live through rattler bites is what I hear. In my case, that remain calm idea is out the window.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will270Win is right. If you can remain calm it probably means that you've had too much to drink. I've been with two friends that have been bitten over the years while we were quail hunting. Both survived with no lasting aftereffects. I was able to get them to the hospital within a few hours. We made sure that the bitten area remained below the heart and applied ice. Both were bitten on the lower leg, so it was easy that way. I was taught to not cut the bites or apply tourniquets if you can get to a hospital soon. That is a matter of choice, I guess. How much venom was injected depends on when a rattler had last eaten and when he used his venom last. I've also been told by people that should know, that the snake doesn't always inject venom if he bites you. Snakebite kits were standard equipment when I was growing up in Arizona, but when my partners got bit, we forgot we had them. I've heard that they aren't worth the trouble, and then I've heard that they are invaluable. The main thing is to get the victim to the hospital ASAP. Bring the snake if possible. Then after all that, you will die in the waiting room while they are checking out to see if you have insurance.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.rattlesnakes.com/core.html

Snakebite
    OVERVIEW - Bites from venomous snakes in the United States are very rare. There are about 8000 such occurrences each year. A large number of those occur to those that work with snakes on a daily basis, such as zoo keepers, research workers and hobbyists who choose to keep venomous snakes at home. Another large portion of those bitten were trying to catch, tease, or kill a snake in the wild. Most other bites occur when someone steps on a snake and the snake bites in its own defense. Death occurs in less than 1% of the snakebites in this country, about 10 to 15 per year. One third of the rattlesnake bites are "dry" bites, in which no venom is injected.

PREVENTION - This describes the many way of avoiding the bite of a dangerous snake. Most of us will never come across a rattlesnake in the wild. However, there are certain people that tend to see them now and then. This could include telephone company field workers, ranchers, hunters, hikers, campers and others. These kinds of people usually plan snakebite prevention into their daily lives. (Keep in mind that most snakes are crepuscular and nocturnal and are not out during our active hours.)

Below are several guidelines for avoiding snakebites.

Wear appropriate footwear such as boots, chaps or high-top hiking shoes.
    Step up onto logs or rocks rather than over them.
    Don't place your hands on unseen ledges or into animal holes.
    Don't turn rocks or boards over with bare hands. Use a tool.
    Don't try to kill, catch or molest a venomous snake. Leave them alone.
    Don't hike by yourself.
    Learn what dangerous snakes in your area look like. Get a book.
    Watch where you are walking.
    FIRST AID - This describes measures taken in the field to minimize the effects of the bite of a venomous snake. Very few snakebite kits on the market offer much in the way of first aid. A kit with a strong suction device has some merit in the field. Many hikers and campers carry these devices with them. No snakebite first aid kit provides a cure. Treatment at a hospital should always be sought.

Below is a list of do's and don'ts when dealing with snakebite first aid.

Remain calm and inactive.
    Don't make incisions over the snakebite.
    Don't constrict the flow of blood.
    Don't immerse a limb in ice water.
    Use suction device or mouth to extract some venom. If performed within the first couple of minutes, this may help reduce the effects of the bite. This procedure should not be performed by someone with ulcers of the mouth or stomach.
    Have another individual drive to medical care for treatment.
    If you spend a lot of time in "snake country", locate a physician with snakebite treatment before hand, just in case.
    TREATMENT - Steps taken at a hospital or other medical facility to counter the effects of snake venom is called treatment. The most common treatment includes the injection of an antivenin (or antivenom). Injecting small amounts of venom into a horse makes antivenin. The horse's immune system provides a defense against the venom. The horse's blood serum is then used in antivenin and given to human bite victims to counteract the effects of the bite. Only qualified medical personnel should administer antivenin. There are often side effects to be considered.

Treatment may also involve care given to relieve swelling, tetanus or local tissue damage. North American pit viper venom (rattlesnake, water moccasin, copperhead) is primarily hemotoxic, acting to destroy blood and muscle tissue.

Copyright c 1991 by American International Rattlesnake Museum
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I got bit in Okinawa I took the snake up to the helo with me during extraction. Luckily it was a dry bite and we let the "choked to death" snake go and I got light duty for a few days. Was a cool ride though!

• Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Will, was it a Habu???

Nasty snakes those. Could bore everyone with Habu tales from okinawa but I won't because they all start 'this is no sh*t' (see war stories thread).

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Damn right it was a habu! Of the golden variety.

• Options
    COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt great post except the part about use your mouth to remove venom ........That is like not using protection while doing CPR.....
    But there is a execption to every rule..........Where the bite is or if its a child or elder......That sometimes changes the rules....But remember if its two of you.......and the "medic" does something foolish....well then theres zero of you............................
    The main thing to do is remain calm , apply ice or cold water in a plastic bag to the bite.........And get to a hospital ASAP.......

coonass
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only good snake, is a dead snake.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    the only good snake, is a dead snake. when i was younger living in NW pennsylvania, spent all the time i could in the woods, hi leather boots, & loose pants, hand gun with handloaded shot shell in the frist chamber.
  • Options
    Shootist3006Shootist3006 Member Posts: 4,171
    edited November -1
    Just for Will270win

Quod principi placuit legis habet vigorem.Semper Fidelis
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There's one less in the world and they will bite you underwater. Damn Japanese jungle snake b@stard.

• Options
    SCREWEDUPSCREWEDUP Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    REM IS RIGHT, DON"T SUCK OUT VENOM IT MAY ENTER YOUR SYSTEM THROUGHT A CAVITY, SPLIT LIP, ABCESS, ETC. REMAIN CALM,ICE WOUND, LIGHT CONSTRICTIVE BAND BETWEEN WOUND AND HEART. GET TO HOSPITAL ASAP FOR ANTIVENOM .
  • Options
    Patrick OdlePatrick Odle Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snakebite treatment has come a long way since our ancestors crossed the plains, notice I didn't use the word forefathers, I only had one.
    From what I understand When a member of a waggontrain got bit, He was left in a shade if possible with a companion or member of family, and water in most instances got very sick,and usually passed out. The body being the complex processing unit that it was would either, depending on the amt. of venom, the bite victim's individual's body chemistry, either gradually purge, or the victim would die, in which case the companion would either bury him, or in the case of survival
    follow the waggon tracks until they caught the train. But I come from so far back, that I can remember appendicitis being called cramp-colic and a person either lived or died from it.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.rattlesnakes.com/core.html

How Dangerous Are Rattlesnakes?
    Only about one fourth of all snakes are venomous. Among the venomous snakes are those considered by experts to be highly dangerous and others that are of little concern as a danger to man. Those considered to be dangerous are so designated for several reasons:

Their venom may be highly toxic.
    They may carry large quantities of venom.
    They may live in close proximity to people.
    They may be present in large numbers.
    They may defend themselves more aggressively.
    They may be agile or quick.
    When they are being kept as "pets".
    Medical facilities in the area may be poor.
    They may have long fangs producing deep wounds.
    Their color and pattern may hide their presence.
    They may be active during the hours we are active.
    They may be territorial or protective. (very uncommon)
    Most rattlesnakes have relatively weak venoms when compared to the world's true vipers and cobras. Copperheads and water moccasins have comparatively weak venoms as well.

The Eastern and Western Diamondbacks are of concern in this country because of their wide distribution, their relatively large size (giving a greater striking distance - about one-third to one-half their body length), the deep puncture wounds they inflict, and their large amounts of venom. The Western Diamondback will also readily defend itself. The Mojave Rattlesnake is the most potently venomous of this country's rattlesnakes. The corral snake's venom is a potent neurotoxin but the snake is not considered particularly dangerous because of its demure manner.

Rattlesnakes will make every effort to avoid contact with people. We are far more dangerous to this secretive animal than it is to us. In almost every case, we are treading on the snakes' home territory when we encounter them, and in almost every case, the rattlesnake looses its life.

Many bites are the result of someone trying to capture, kill, or handle the snake, and a good number of bites occur to snake keepers, both private and professional. The bite is a defensive reaction and should not be considered an act of aggression. The rattlesnake's rattle offers the snake a means of communication, designed to warn larger animals of their position.

In the United States, humans experience about 8000 bites from venomous snakes each year. Of those, an average of 12 per year, less than 1%, result in death. Far more people die each year from bee stings, lightning strikes, or almost any other reason. Incidentally, one-third of all rattlesnake bites are "dry" bites, when no venom has been injected.

The rattlesnake's role as an important link in the food web far outweighs its potential danger to our well being. In fact, rodent born diseases are probably controlled to a great extent by rattlesnakes and other predators. Offer them respect, observe them from a safe distance, and then leave them to perform their valuable ecological function.

The only good snake is a live snake!

Copyright c 1991 by American International Rattlesnake Museum
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rembrandt,

Thanks for the informative posts. Living where venomous beasties of any sort are virtually unknown, most of my information was based on 'common knowledge' - and obviously most of it about as accurate as Sarah Brady's knowledge of firearms.
  • Options
    StoffaStoffa Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snakes, U want snakes !
    Come to Australia, When it comes to nasty bitey things that crawl we have 7 out of the 10 most venomous snakes in the world ( not to mention spiders and other things that give Ouch!)and no they dont just live in the bush, or outback or "Back of Bourke" and dont believe every thing that fool "Crocidile Man" tells you.
    They tend to wander into residential areas at an alarming rate during summer, kill lots of cats and dogs who want to play with them (bad career choice) frighten the crap outta most kids and parents and keep a "full time snake catcher" busy on the western side of Melbourne Australia for most of the summer period. He finds them in the gardens of houses, new housing estates, along creeks and waterways and in short just about anywhere in urban areas.
    We only lose one or two people every year or so and thats 'cos they didnt get to the doctor in time ( here that means real quick, 20-45 mins in most cases).
    As a hunter/shooter they are an occupational hazard, have stood on three in my time, 1x Tiger snake (very toxic) 1x Black snack ( also very toxic) and 1 Brown snake ( very nasty piece of work and cousin of very deadly Northern Tiapan - Mucho Toxico "kill ya dead" kinda beasty this one).
    Standard wear is High boots, thick socks, heavy pants (denim or heavier) - Same still applies sometimes they do zap you with venom and sometimes they don't.
    With these snakes there is no waiting to feel faint or other cute ideas.
    A Brown snake if it injects a full venom load has the venom capacity to kill 4000 sheep ( Yep you read right - Four Thousand)
    So you can forgive us if we dont quietly lay down and wait for the "dizzy" spell to pass.
    Interested in your treatment of Snake bite, we dont cut or suck,nor do we ice - we apply a broad pressure bandage from as high above as is possible and then down and over the bite site, immobilise the limb, and the victim as well,if possible and transport to hospital - (You try keeping still in the circumstances, I defy anyone)
    Im a qualified Level 3 Industrial First Aid Officer - Snake bite treatment is a standard part of the training.
    Every Hospital, doctor and nursing facility has poly-venom (one type does all bites)- they zap you with the stuff and if all things are equal and luck, your god and medicine are on your side you should be up and around in a couple of hours.
    Just fascinated to read how you people deal with your little things that bite.
    We very much obey the "if you dont know what it is or you think it might bite then dont touch" rule.
    You learn from an early age here.
    Q. What steps do you take if you stand on a snake?
    A. Bloody Big Ones'
    Just interesting to hear of your situation with these creepy crawlies.
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chris...Welcome to the club. Very interesting post. Just yesterday (that'll be 2 days ago to you) Mrs. Mudge and I were talking about an Australian vacation. My father was stationed in Perth, (submariner)during WWII and always spoke well of Aussies.
    Mudge the traveler

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During the warm summer months and especialy in the "dog days" you never ever ever go in to the woods here without a .44 and bird shot. Unless of course you are some yuppie goof ball from the Penn State University who thinks all creature will respond to your voice and be nice to you. We got them copper heads around here and they are very sneaky and in late summer will nail ya just for the hell of it. They don't need to be provoked, just get close to one.

I had watched many a show on the Discovery and TLC channels(redneck college class) that you should never turnicut a snake bite because the venom will deteriorate the muscle and the doc may have to amputate the limb. Question, do doctore have amputated limbs mounted and displayed on the walls at their homes?
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only good snake is a dead snake.

I read recently that a lot of hunters who have bird dogs out West will carry a "Tazer" type stun gun device to shock the bite/wound area on their dogs if bit. There is supposed to be a chemical reaction to the electrical shock that breaks down the venom and stops it's effects. Couldn't say how it works on those big mean snakes down under though. Maybe someone should us it to shock some sence into the "Crocidile Man". Maybe then he would learn not to mess wth those things?

Trinity+++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    13fister can attest for his "love" of snakes. While back he was home,VA, on leave en-route to OK. He deciced to go out an bring in some firewood. Aparently a rattler wanted some sun and was sharing the woodpile. Let's just say the snake introduced itself with Al's arm. Not too bad of a bite, went to the hospital, and back out the same night. However for the snake, things didn't turn out too well. The next day Al went out armed with a bullpup 12ga and a 14rnd Para.

Suffice it to say both were emptied....

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trinity the electroshock treatment with stungun or truck battery does nothing whatever beneficial for the treatment of snake bites. The ligature used should not be a tourniquet, ie. it should not impede blood flow. A lymphatic ligature may be used. When in place you should be able to easily slip your index finger under it. The only snake bite kit on the market that may be of some use is "The Extractor" made by Sawyer. At least, used properly it will do no harm, and may help. I carry one when working in the field with rattlesnakes. The best option is to get yourself to a hospital that is equiped to treat snakebite with antivenom.

If you are alone in the field and are bitten you have a real problem. Movement acclerates the blood/lymph flow and mobilizes the venom, so you are supposed to be carried. Best advice is be careful and see the snake first. Do not use ice, or ice water, ever. There are indications that some of the components of the venoms are cryophobic and are driven deeper into the tissues when ice or cold is applied.
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the members who said that the best treatment is to keep the bitten area below heart level, apply an ice pack and get the victim to a hospital for treatment. Do not cut an "X" across the wound and suck on it. This causes more damage than the snake bite. In Arizona a high percent of snake bite victims are Males that have been drinking alcohol and are trying to prove their manhood by playing around with a rattlesnake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will say it again, do not use ice or ice water.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A word of caution here.If you receive the antivenin. Make sure you are not allergic to horse serum. I am,And spent three days in a coma.I have been told flat out that the next injection of horse serum will kill me,In a very unpleasant manner,Much like rabies.

Hedog, I know you know a lot more about this subject than me.Before they were taken off the market I bought a Snake DR.A stun gun that is only 25000 volts.Used it on a dog, worked great.Got hit on the wrist by a hornet.Knocked the P out of me,But no swelling.Would like to hear more from you about not using it.Since I cant take the horse serum,I have been counting on this.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Varmit, this came up in the snake bite literature about 10 years ago, but surfaces as folk lore about every 2 or 3 years. Tests showed that electo shock including stun guns and other sources with both greater and lesser voltages/amperages had no effect either on the chemistry of the venom or the reaction of test subjects.

Dogs frequently recover from snake bite with little or no ill effects, and bites are often "dry," meaning no or little venom was injected (In the country of Colombia, about 80% of all snake bites are dry bites). I don't know why it would help a wasp sting, unless the stun gun hurt so bad you didn't notice that little sting any more.

Don't risk your life on a stun gun Varmit, I want to keep you around here a long time. Your point that one must be careful with antivenom is well taken. Those sensitive to horse serum can go into anaphylactic shock, so it should not be administered in the field except in very extreme cases. Also, testing for sensitivity to horse serum can sensitize some people to it, so the testing is not done.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,264 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were two articles on this in a prominent outdoor magazine about 11 years ago, I think Outdoor Life. They were written by an Alabama Veterinarian. He went down to Peru to work with an American missionary doctor. The doc was in a rural area in a village on a river. They have many very bad snakes there, and very primitive medical facilities. No hope for antivenin, and no a**hole American lawyers to sue, an ideal place to test shocking for snakebite. Twelve people a year die from snakebite in our country. It was about twelve deaths a year in this village, plus more amputations. They were shocking with a 15 foot length of construction wire, 12 gauge, often called romex. Cut off the outer cover for 18 inches on both ends. Bare two inches of the black and white wire on one end.Pull the spark plug of an outboard motor, and stick the white in the end of the spark plug wire, where the plug goes. Wrap the black around any part of the motor, to ground it. At the other end of the romex, bare 1 inch of the black and white. Hold these ends about 1 and 1/2 inches apart and hold them on opposite sides of the bite, so the electricity will go through the poison. Have someone pull the motor through 2 or three times, the pt. will get zapped 8 or 10 times. The doctor worked there for a while before he began using the shock and he said he had saved several lives. Also they were using it on wasp stings. If you read the article it would make a beleiver out of you. The vet came back to America and got a stun gun and was using it on his retreivers in Alabama, they got rattlesnake bitten. He went back to Peru with the stun gun and used it to good effect down there. It has to be dc, a truck or a chain saw would work. I don't think a battery would do it, it has to go through a coil. In my truck I carry 15 feet of romex with the ends stripped. If I ever get bitten I will pull a plug and rig up. With a truck you can shock yourself. I will do it and then go to the hospital and see if any swelling develops. Swelling is the first sign of an envenomated snakebite. If it doesn't swell, I would refuse the antivenin. Did you know that many are allergic to antivenin? If you ever saw what a panic attack occurs when a snakebite is treated in a hospital, I mean panic by the docs and nurses, you'd carry some romex, too. They so seldom treat them, they are out of practice. I bet you could go to the library and look that article, Outdoor Life I think, maybe sports afield, it was maybe 1991. Maybe it is a folk tale, I never tried it, but that article is very believable and I sure don't believe everything the AMA says.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen.I still have that article some place.Shortly after that a sporting goods store in South Texas started selling the Snake Dr.I bought one,And it goes every were I do.They had to take it off the market ,Because it was being advertised as a medical device without being tested by the FDA.It is only 25000 volts so you can use it on yourself.Most stun guns are 50000+.

I have the greatest respect for HeDog.So I don't really know what I would do now.If all that info in the magazine article was correct,It would seem to me they would be using it in hospitals now

• Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy that lives out in the Gypsum Hills West of Medicine Lodge Kansas. He was walking his dog on a leash one day down a cow trail by his house and the dog was out in front of him. He looked down and between Him and the Dog was a Prairie Rattler. He gave the dog a giant tug to pull him over the snake quickly. The Snake bit the Dog on the testicles. Swelled up great big but the vet gave him antivenom and the Dog Lived!!!!

KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Varmint, after reading those articles I thought a stun gun would be carried by every ambulance crew within 5 yrs. [I was a paramedic at that time.] Why it hasn't happened I don't know. I believe the stun gun co. had made them one with a dial and they were using 5,000 volts on wasp stings and 25,000 on snakebites. After seeing the medical field from the inside for 13 years I know the AMA isn't perfect and that hospital employees aren't either. I saw more than one person put into ICU because of the antivenin, and we never knew if it had been an envenomated bite anyway, so many times the snake doesn't inject venom. By the way, with a truck, you have the ignition off, you rig up the wires, then turn it over for a second or two. It doesn't need to start, if it does, turn it right off. A shock from a truck won't hurt you, but a snake bite can hurt you and antivenin can kill you, so I'll start with Hippocrates, and "First, do no harm" with a shock, then I'll start heading toward a hospital, and keep a close watch for swelling. I'm talking about swelling like you wouldn't believe. I am not talking about a mosquito or even a yellow jacket type of swelling, I am talking about untreated, a snake bite to the forearm will swell up in a matter of hours like a watermelon.

• Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    We might not have the biggest deer in the country,but we do have the biggest rattlers.The real big ones are getting scarce though..from what I understand,all these wild hogs eat them up.

Did sombody say somethin` about hornets?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Varmint, maybe your dog's bite was not envenomnated, but you know a hornet sting will swell like hell. You know it does work. You got me inspired. I have never used it, but next bee sting I get I am going to shock it. I wish I had one of your stun guns. I don't feel like trying the 50,000. I will just use the truck, or if I got someone around I'll try the chainsaw.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Allen,Please don't let anything I said inspire you to shock yourself with anything. I can tell you this 25000volts will knock the p out of you.I am no DR., But getting shocked is not the best thing for the heart.

Hedog is very knowledgeable in this field. If he tells me not to use the stun gun, I'm not. It is a heck of a lot easer to get over a bee sting,Than a stopped heart.I have experienced both, Trust me the bee sting will always be my first choice.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Varmit, the best thing I have found for bee/wasp stings is a cold pack or even ice. A paste of sodium bicarbonate and water also helps, and I think there are now some things in the drug store that help.

As for electroshock and snakebite, I am not sure how much more strongly I can say it. It does not work. I am aware of the article referenced earlier, and to put it simply, it is garbage. As I said before, the real testing was done a decade ago under controlled conditions, and was shown to be ineffective. Several years ago, I was working a rattlesnake roundup here in NM, gathering data on the animals brought in. (Beekeeper the primary reason you don't see really large rattlesnakes in many areas any more is rattlesnake roundups) One of the organizers of the roundup got bitten by a 4.5 foot diamondback and was shocking him self with a stun gun while we tried to convince him to get to the hospital (he was selling stunguns at the round up). A bit later he was under the hood of his truck jerking and jumping with the shocks. When he collapsed, an ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital where he received 18 vials of antivenom. He did survive, but not because of stunguns. This is another Voo Doo remedy that could cost you your life. I value Varmit and don't want that to happen to him, and Allen, I would sooner keep you around too. You may have something to contribute here. While it is indeed true that not everything the AMA does is medicine and all of their reasons are not medical, please trust me on this one. I am a professional herpetologist who works with venomous animals on a daily basis (well, I miss a few days if there is a gunshow) and stay up on the medical literature. I also personally know two of the top authorities on snakebite treatment and have discussed this with them at some length. I really have not vested interest here. In truth it will not wreck my life if you treat snakebite with a stungun or ginkobiloba for that matter, but it will wreck yours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog, I gotta admit, you sound like you know what you are talking about.But, Varmint, a shock on the wrist from a stun gun or spark plug is not going to damage your heart, and I am going to try it next yelllowjacket bite I get. Remember He Dog, 30 years ago the AMA was making fun of acupuncture. But you make your points well and politely, so thanks for your responses. He Dog, since an antivenin shot is a death warrant for Varmint, what is he to do if he gets snakebit?

• Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, as I have told Varmit, the best thing he can do is not get bitten. Since his livelihood depends in part on outdoor activities that may put him at some risk of snakebite, I have suggested he have his doctor stock an antivenom product made from sheep serum that will not cause the anaphylactic reaction of the horse serum. It is very spendy, but we need to keep that Varmit around here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog, I am very interested in the studies on shoking snakebite. Did they inject a living ceature with snake venom and then shock it? I'd like to read up on this. I got out of the medical field 9 years ago and have not kept up, maybe this information was given out to the medics some years ago.

• Options
    edited November -1
    What I read was published primarily in the herpetological literature, and it has been some time. Let me e-mail one of the top guys and see if he can point me at some of the primary literature, and I can pass the references on to you. I am leaving Thurs., so it may be several days before I can get back to you.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no snake expert at all but I know this much, rattlesnake bites are usualy the reult of doing something dumb. We have Timber Rattlers here in PA and very rarely does someone get nailed by one. Rattlers are not aggressive like that dang Copperhead, coppers are just plain mean. A rattle snake has the rattle for a reason, to warn you! Most of the time a rattler will leave the area if you get close, it will rattle when it's cornered or you get close to the den. If you hear a rattle, freeze and look for its source, when you find the snake, back away slowly. If it's rattlin it feels threatened. If you get bit, you probably provoked it, don't be macho and try to catch it, don't try to scare it away. Leave it alone and leave. Copperhead bites are far more common around here than rattlers because a copperhead gives no warning, it just bites out of pure meanness but a rattler would rather you left it alone and will strike only when it's cornered and there is no way for it to escape or if it feals threatened, It will try to give you warning to leave it alone but too many people like to play games and they get bit. I don't mean to sound arrogant or snotty but if you get nailed by a rattler you more than likely did something you shouldnt have done. Atleast thats how the rattlers are here, they just want to be left alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    7mm I would have to disagree with you. I have walked up to blacktailed rattlesnakes which did not rattle until touched. Copperheads bite in self defense, but have no rattle to scare you off with, so often you don't see them. I am not very comfortable calling a snake mean, though aggressive works, and I think the cottonmouths take the Oscar for aggressiveness in a North American snake.

If you look at the world from a snakes point of view it looks very different from your point of view. No snake, no matter how long it is, is very tall. Their chin is on the ground. You look like a giant. They have no legs or claws so can not run or fight. All they can do is bite. I submit it is not meanness, but fear that impells a strike.

Edited by - He Dog on 04/30/2002 13:52:13