In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

snakes, wht did it have to be snakes.

2»

Comments

• Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog,
    Quit trying to beat me!

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Or...

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll start...

• Options
    edited November -1
    fighting dirty

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's a weird munkey, very spunky! I think Bob Dylan said that...

Allen, I got a reference to a summary bibliography, and I have the volume in my library. I will try to post it before I leave.

Re my earlier post regarding the Extractor: It is now considered as ineffective as the other suction devices and NOT RECOMMENDED. Hope no one went out and bought one last night!

I'll do it monkey!
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now you did it.Went and brought up Water Moccasins.That has to be the meanest thing God put on this earth.He did not bother to put a reverse in them either.

Living in this Sabine river swamp, You get introduced to them real quick.You remember the seen in Lonesome Dove when the cowboy fell into a mess of them.That is a breeding ball.In the spring they will form a huge ball.It will some times contain 50 are more.I have been told this is part of there breeding process,Don't really know. I have come up on three of these balls in my life time.

We were trapping crawfish one summer. I herd my partner scream like I have never herd a man scream.He was shooting as fast as possible, And backing up. I had a Marlin lever action full of shorts.As I went to him moccasins were every were I looked.We were shooting ,screaming and kicking them back.We made it to the levee,Jumped in the boat,As far as I know those crawfish traps are still there.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He dog, there may be a big difference in the rattlers but I will stand by this, the rattlers we have here in the mountains don't like people and will try to get away from you. The Moccosans I have heard different about them but I have never met one. (don't want to either!)

As far as them copperheads, there ARE mean. Them little pricks will chase you, the more you try to avoid one the more he wants to play.

I do stand by another statement that ws made here, the opnly good snake is a dead one. Not to many snakes that I have seen lived very long. I don't care if it's a 6" garden snake or a full blown rattler, I see it it's dead! The place we had before this one had a large populatin of black snakes. When I was cutting grass with the cub I would chase them down and nail them with the blades. I even carried my .44 with birdshot in it so I could shoot them if I couldnt get them with the mower.

BTW, I'm not saying youre wrong abou tthem. The experiances I've had with them is that a rattler will "run" and a copperhead will chase. I have been 10' away and had them rattle at me, after I stopped the snake would leave. Me on the other hand would turn and go back where I came from or I opened fire.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,279 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun Dog, would you email me those links? reltney2001@yahoo.com thanks, allen

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm I have been hearing stories about snakes chasing people since I was a kid. Usually the tellers are a little more "creative" than you with tales of being chased a quarter of a mile and such. Got me wondering. Since I have a little different take on snakes than most folks and enough experience not to fear them, I have allowed several snakes that "attacked" me to do so. These have been racers, whip snakes and black rat snakes, no copperheads or rattlers. In every case, the snake either crawled by my feet or between my legs and just kept going! I believe it is not an attack at all but a bluff to confuse or startle what they believe to be a dangerous animal, and then to make an escape. Given the number of people who have been "chased a quarter mile" who could not have run a quarter mile if their lives depended upon it, the tactic works. Like you they go the other way and don't look back. Now, I do not recommend you try this with a copperhead, I could be wrong, but I would sure like to. I have on several different occasions had copperheads craw across my feet with no attempt to bite at all. Sat on a bluff one morning watching a copperhead basking in the sun, and watching from about 3 feet. Along came a mosquito, lit on his head and proceeded to help its self to a blood meal. Kinda made me feel I have something in common with copperheads, and I like them, they are very interesting to work with and study.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,279 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun Dog, one time I was driving along in S. Ga on a country blacktop rd. A 7 foot rattler was stretched out in the road. I stopped and got out to look at this snake. Quickly calculating Newton's law, I figured: If he ain't coiled he can't strike. At least, he can't make a 7 foot strike. I grabbed his rattle for about one second. Let go and backed up about 7 more feet, I knew he couldn't run as fast as me, I was a 25 year old soccer player. As I watched, the giant gracefully coiled up into striking position, rattles on the outside and head in the middle. He seemed to be saying, "We have both been through this before, and I don't want any crap from you, but here we are and I do fight if necessary". The coloration on this snake was beautiful, gold and black diamonds, and I was surprised to see some shades of pink. After a minute he gracefully cruised off into the woods.

"Not as deep as a well, or as wide as a church door, but it is enough."
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    The aklimata(sp) is a non-poisonous snake that lives in Okinawa. That SOB will chase you down and bite you just for the hell of it. Mean or aggressive? Yup.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~