In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tattoos....

RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Standing in line tonight at the grocery store behind an attractive young lady that had about half her back covered with a tattoo. Just curious, while they seem to be popular within the younger ranks. Any of you have tattoos?.....did you regret it?

Comments

• Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    If I come across something particularly meaningful, I might get one at some point.

However, it'd better be really meaningful. They're painful and expensive to get and even more expensive and painful to get taken off.

Now piercings, on the other hand...

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh Brain Stains, where the IQ leaked out
  • Options
    GreenLanternGreenLantern Member Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one when I was 29. Figured I was either going to get a tattoo or sky dive by the time I hit 30. The tattoo required less effort [:-)] Anyway, no regrets, it's a pretty unique design. As far as pain? If you think it was painful you're a weanie. Ok maybe some places are more sensitive. Everyone says if it's over bone that's real painful! Well I don't have a lot of muscle and I didn't think it was that bad. Heck, I thought getting a planters wart frozen off the bottom foot was MUCH more painful.
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Don`t got none,don`t regret it.Do have a left ear that I pierced in 1974..when I was 14.I haven`t worn anything in it since 1984.

Did sombody say somethin` about bees?
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5 of them, I guess I'm a really dumb criminal and don't know it yet. They are in no way painfull, after about 5 minutes of inking you don't feel it. The needle barley breaks skin, infact a tetnis shot hurts worse. As for regreting them, yeah I do. When I was 18 I rebelled against my parents. They told me to never get tattoos or drive a truck. I did both. I feel I made 5 mistakes in my life and they are all 5 on my arms for the world to see. I've never been in jail, never been arrested for anything that warrents a criminal record, don't do dope or many of the things that people STEREOTYPE people that have tatoos do.
  • Options
    jastrjastr Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont feel its nesecary too mark up my body... besides when you get old they look dumb

lets all be responsible! shoot a criminal!
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I don't feel there is anything wrong with having one or two small tatto's.Got one myself when i was in the service.I do think there are going to be a lot of today's young kids kicking themselves in the a-- when they get older.You see a lot of them with half their body covered today.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was a young Private I had $40 in my pocket and this gorgeous girl wanted me to get my first tattoo when she got hers. Well, I forked out what little money was in my pocket for some Chinese character and I don't even remember its meaning. I arrived at Ft Leonard Wood, MO a few years later and went down to a tattoo place there and had a GREAT cover-up job done. Now I have a turtle on my left shoulder. I picked up a lizard tattoo on my right thigh when I was in Panama City, Panama as a permanant souvenier. I like them. I couldn't begin to explain why I like them but they both have personal signifigance that will not change when I am 80 years old. One young lady (30 years young) really liked the lizard while I was dating her. I won't get into that though.

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Dont know about that Dano Ive smelled some people that was pretty criminal

"Respect your Tools"
    "Freedom is not Free"
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano, I lied. According to the safety advocates and the D.O.T I'm the very worst kind of criminal. I refuse to play by the rules and knock on wood after almost 10 years of driving and 1 million+ verified miles( I have the atta boy patch for it) I never wrecked or killed anybody, but according to them I'm worse than Ted Bundy,,along with the rest of the truckers. We are all no good criminals!
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    --Ahhh Brain Stains, where the IQ leaked out--

Varmintmist, that's classic! Hope you don't mind if I use it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll admit, some tattoos are great for ID'ing SOME criminals. It sure helps in recruiting because you don't have to go through all of the paperwork just to get a contaminated background check if you can decipher possible gang-affiliation from the tattoos. I like my tattoos and I know that I'll never regret them. Mom and dad are devoutly religious and I know that they (and grandma) would have a heart-attack if they ever saw them (especially the lizard).

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Idsman:

You cad!!

• Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I met a dude one night, the husband of a woman I know, and after a bunch of drinks he (and his wife) start telling me that he has a "cock hanging below his knee."

I tell him how full of crap he is. He asks if I want to bet 5 bucks? I say, "sure, but what are you gonna do, drop your pants here in the bar?"

He pulls up his pants leg, and tattooed on his calf is a rooster with a hangman's noose around its neck. He DID have a cock below his knee, and it was damn sure hanging.

Now, can you imagine someone getting that tattooed on their leg just so they could pull a gag on people? This guy's head is in another dimension.

It WAS damn funny.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rafter, steal away
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one when I was 18 in the Army, and the other when I was 28 and in the Army Reserves. Left upper arm, (Eagle with U.S. Army and McNeely on a banner between its claws), and one on the right upper arm (half naked beautiful women in fedore, trenchcoat, and holding a smoking gun, revolver). My kids call them Daddy's scars. I don't really regret them, but be careful of what you get. Don't get a woman's name, they'll leave you. Don't get anything that you would be embarrassed of when your sitting in a nursing home. No skulls, crossbones, or "F#$%^ the world" type stuff. Mine are high enough that my uniform shirts cover them up, as do most t-shirts.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care for them, period. This must be a generation thing.
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got the enlisted submarine warfare ensignia tattoed on my right arm.dont for one minute regret it somethings you keep for life

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Have 2 from my Marine Corps days. Do I regret getting them, nope. One is a copy of my deceased mothers headstone.

AlleninAlaska aglore@gci.net

How would you rather die, 10,000 foot pounds of muzzle energy in the BUTT or a sharp knife in the HEART?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aglore--let me guess, the other one is a meat tag?

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "death before dishonor"-installed at kileen, texas in 1959
    REAL fuzzy now, tho.
    barto

the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
  • Options
    Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being somewhat of an artist, I have one of my own design. Most people won't get one that covers their back, but I have my reasons for doing it. And no, they're not criminal. I drew an orchid for my wife, that she had put on her hip. I've also drawn quite a few for other people as well. I don't care one way or the other if a person has a tattoo. In some cases, if it's an interesting piece that can be seen, they do make great conversation starters.

***It is not so much what a man possesses, but what possesses the man which determines his quality of life.***
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have one, never wanted one, never understood the attraction. No offense to those who have them, but it seemed like a stupid thing to do and I particularly dislike them on women - branding them in a way. Told my more impulsive / adventurous son he would be out of the house for good if he ever showed up with one.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never had one from a needle. Been tattoed by several fist, steel toed boots,Chunk of concrete, And a sraight razor.Guess I have a communication problem.

A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    A bottle of Jack Black after a rodeo - led to a homemade tattoo. 20+ years later had it covered with a real one.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does it count if I accidentally stuck myself with a pencil and still have a piece of graphite under my skin?

SSG idsman75, U.S. ARMY
  • Options
    mhansonmhanson Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with 7MM, I have 4 and love them all if you don't like them thats fine, I don't tell you how to where your hair. for those of you that are not colored.....you would not get it anyway!!!!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    I have no tat's even though I do my bidness through The High Desert Tattoo and Gun Shop. You outta see the owner, he's not black, white, or hispanic, or nothin', he's tattoo!

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Almost got one when I was in the Army but didn't. Now a fellow Lt friend is going through a mid-life crisis and has been talking about getting one. I guess I must be in the "crisis" also cause i've thought about it. Don't ask why, I don't know. We'll see as the saga continues.....

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'v always thought of them as..."A permanent reminder of a tempoary feeling." That said though I have heard and seen some of the funniest stories on earth associated with tattoos. Beach
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    saxon- do you have a copy of that thesis in digital somewhere? i'd like to read it and see how far ahead of "the body" movement you were...SAIC was full of that stuff...

"let not your work smack of the trowel, nor your words cause a blow from one either..."
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was very small, perhaps 6, we were visited, by some distant family members and one fellow had a tattoo. It was one of those Army jobs, a leopard or jaguar with lightening bolts in it's mouth. I was absolutely enthralled, and the facination lasted for years. I decided when I found just the right tattoo I would get it put on. Looked at ink mags fairly regularly for a couple of decades, and finally found the tat that I thought perfect. Strangely though, once I knew what it was, I no longer had any desire for it, and have never gotten one. I have had a peirced ear since 1967.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Peircing YUCK

In tounges, they are whore knobs, great for BJs, If is a guy? well?

Always wanted to ask one of those metal clad fools if boogers get stuck in those nose pins.

I would LOVE to see one of the full lip type get hung up on a Coke can, that would be funnier than a puppy getting its head in a paper shopping bag.

A guy with 1 in his ear (small stud) looks ok, if there is a chain from his ear to his nose to his nipple, I get the urge to yank :)

As for tats, when I was in the Marines, a buddy got one and I was thinking about one. He got his wet, a 4x6 pustiule convinced me that I really didnt need one.
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jeez, i forgot to mention, in my rebel days(possibly still in them) i pierced my nose myself. twice. the first time i didn't go the right direction...from what little i remember- it made my eyes water a good bit...and thankfully i removed it over 10 yrs ago.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barto! You were in Fort Hood, young and stupid? Me to. Did you stay away from eighth street in Temple like I did? I wuz a gooood boy!
  • Options
    OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    I guess I entered the mid-life crisis at age 54 and went and got one. Had the Artist Draw out the Harley Davidson Bar & Shield with a big Eagle Claw comming down and Grabbing onto it. Guess What Saxon. It is on my upper left Arm. It is always covered up inless I wear a muscle shirt! My 2 year old Granddaughter stayed with us last weekend and came into the bedroom and saw it and said "Don't Like it Grandpa" so it is obvious she is a lot smarter than I am. I would get more but you cannot donate blood for a year so that is what keeps me from it!

KIMBER: Pistol du jour
  • Options
    TeamblueTeamblue Member Posts: 782 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most unique tattoo I ever saw was on a guy who lived in my patrol district whom I had contact with on several occasions. On his right upper arm he had an executioner looking through his black hood while a naked lady was on her knees in front him if you know what I mean. First time I saw it I laughed out loud! About a year ago the guy was arrested in a DEA drug bust and went to a federal prison where he hung himself.
    I don't have any tat's myself but I told the wife if I ever got one it would be the red Rampant Lion in honor of my Scottish heritage. I got "The Look". Guess I won't be getting it any time soon.

Justice through Valor 1*
  • Options
    bikrprchrbikrprchr Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 5, and no regrets. I was sober and straight for all of them. 2 are gifts from a friend, and the others are all unique. I guess it is just a biker thing, as it seems to go with the culture. I had a guy ask me once what I was going to be when I turned 80, and he was convinced that by then I would regret the tatoos. My response to him was I would probably be a wrinkled tattooed pain in the butt like you. He didn't see the humor in my statement. Oh well
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but tempted while stationed at Ft. Benning. I have no problems w/
    ink art? The pierced tounges, etc., suck big time. Just an old Nam Vet
    remarking. Take care, Steve

Military intelligence is a contradiction in terms. G. Marx
  • Options
    rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine and wont ever regret it. Had my first 1 done when i was about 30. Had a design done and have my 3 kids names in it. My kids like it and I can live with that.