In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nice Hunting Land

218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
I went to hunt hogs with a guy on his lease a while back,it`s legal here all year,with or without a license,on private land.There was deer & turkeys evrywhere.I have a place in WV that I love,but man I`d like to own a place down here as well,it would be so nice to just jump in the truck and go kill a pig. Where would your ideal place be?
Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?

Comments

• Options
    timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Already have it, 218. 160 acres of deep wilderness in Michigan's upper peninsula. My cousin owns an adjoining 40. Deer, turkeys, grouse, coyotes, mink, beaver, muskrats, weasels, squirrels, snowshoe hares and a nice comfortable little shack. No running water or electricity, but I do have a woodburning sauna and a handpump fer water.Oh, and lest I forget, a trout stream with native brookies.
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Timberbeast on this one. Well mine isn't exactly wilderness, none of that anywhere in ND so far as I know!About 1100 acres, all huntable for various things - deer, fox, coyote, rabbit, sqirrel, dove, duck, goose, turkey, grouse, partridge, some pheasant; fishing in the river that passes through - walleye, perch, northern pike.Got a permanent bench for my shooting range with targets at 25, 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards.Gawd, I just realised how much I truly love where I'm at! Later,.280 freak
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I knew some of you guys had it made already,timberbeast,I read your post from another thread,3 times ,the one about comin` out of the woods,lightin` the grill,crackin` a beer,and contemplating the fire and many other things. I was like Lenny,...tell me again George,tell me again. Just lovely,.280,NICE
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beast would you care to adopt a 56 yr old,manly usless old varmit? I can teel you when we need more wood!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BeeKeep, where in West Virginia are you from? North, South, Central? Mrs Rembrandt is originally from Fairmont, just south of Morgantown. Usually get out that way a couple of times each year...went deer hunting out there twice, pretty country....but there are no highways that have more than a 1/4 mile of straight road.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rem,I`m from Chokoloskee Fla.,it`s an island south of Everglades City,which is 40 miles south of Naples,which is 40 miles south of Ft. Myers,Which is 100 miles south of Tampa. Maybe I should have just said 200 miles directly across the state from Miami.It`s in the sticks,in other words.But I live in the town I was born in Naples,it`s where the hospital was. I own 71 1/2 acres in the center of WV.,The people are the best!!!
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Any piece of acreage on the Escambia river will do. Name the critter and it's probably there.
    You can run, but you'll just die tired!Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, RELOAD!
  • Options
    shaneshane Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got my perfect place to hunt but it is my secret. If I told anyone they would tell a friend and then so on down the line,before you know it everyone would be beggin me to go!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shane,if you`ll check out your deer gun thread you`ll see that I`m already tryin` to find out where it is.Very subtle like.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Varmint hunter, if you're ever in the area, drop me a line at zap@netwurx.net. I have been known to have guests! And you can shoot all day if you want, or just go exploring. But bring a compass!! If an army cot is too uncomfortable, bring your own bed!! I'm heading back up Monday, more logging to do, I have a sawmill, too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    O.k. 218. You talked me into it! I hunt on pirvate land in Yancy County N.C. that belongs to my wifes grandfather the hunting is great. I'll let you come and see for yourself if you want to. You can be my proof as to how great the hunting is here! It's not very far from Boone so you shouldn't have much trouble finding your way. What do ya think?
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BIG thanks beast.tried to E-mail you.i dont think it went.With all the rain,It is a wonder this puter not blowing bubbles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    shane ,I think it sounds great,thats what I think!!I travel up 77 through Mt Aery(?),you know,where Andy`s from,on my way to my 71 or so acres in WV.My neibors have more land than that ,and it is expected of me to make use of it,and it is not a custom for them to ask permission to hunt on mine .Just the kind of folks I was lookin`for,I have a 16 by 20 ft 2 story shack I built with a chainsaw, a level square and a hammer.Ya never know,you might ride up sometime.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-09-2001).]
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like everybody likes to hunt. Used to do it more, but last trip was to Ne. for those pretty birds. Limit every morning b/4 nine. Miss those days. Now i drive 15 miles to a Friends farm to shoot those imitation birds.
    Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just checked, Varmint, then checked my post. Addy is correct (I type poorly), so you must have MSN or something. My sister has trouble getting emails through on that..lol. It's nice sitting around the fire and hearing the coyotes howling!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There you go again timber,I can even hear the fire cracklin,and the deer runnin` through the leaves. Do you live far from your place?
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 09-09-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About 5 hours, 218, but I'm so used to it it's a skip and a hop!
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always took the view that sharing ones favorite hunting spot is sort of like sharing your tooth brush. Seriously, I've made many lifetime friends through hunting. Don't know if there is any one spot that is the perfect site. To get the best of any one species requires some travel. Alaska may be the best for most of the larger North American species. Midwest states and southern Canada have the best whitetails. South Dakota has some of the finest Pheasant hunting anywhere....yes, I live in Iowa, and its better than what we have.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    timber,5 hours would be nice,mine`s about 22 hours,so obviously I can`t go more than twice a year.Man,I got to figure this out!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Damn, .218, 22 hours!! I'd have to clear a strip through the woods and learn to fly a plane!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well timber,I`ve got a meadow,could take flyin` lessons,but from what they tell me ,planes cost a lot of money!
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW! a bunch of close hillbillies. 218? How close to Elkins? I have 43 acres here, and lease another 2000 on Laurel mtn. about 10 min form here. Deer, turkey, bear, grouse, etc. I also have another private farm to hunt 5 min form here w 1300 acres. Have a 100 yd range in the back yard, one of my nieghbors has 1 k yards. I dont do so well there. Rembrandt are you coming to the gun show in Elkins next weekend? 9/14 15? Spent a lot of last winter in Mo town at Ruby w/ a very sick child. Almost lost him. They did a great job fixen him up. Glad the Mtneers finally won 1 this week. Good luck on Opening day Shane.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    in2,my place is near Flatwoods and Sutton,in the center of the state of west Virginia.My neighbors are very good people,they don`t even let me sleep in my cabin in the winter,and they fix a fine breakfast in the mornin`.I love my home state of FLA,but it`s changin,it`s kinda like a love/hate thing,and I run a small bussiness here,in FLA.
  • Options
    in2b8uin2b8u Member Posts: 115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No kidding, just about 45 min from here. I grew up in the northern panhandle, left for CO. for about 15 years, just got too big and too crazy. Came back to be a hillbilly.Moved back to WV 5 years ago. Love it here, down in the mtns. Have a few horses and kids.That is no lie about good neighbors. I think that this is one of the few places left in the 50 that people look out for ya all the time.Keep in touch, next time your in state maybe we can shoot a few cans or swap some tales, or cut you some firewood for the cabin. Got to get started on mine this week. Thanks for lettin me know.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective.[This message has been edited by in2b8u (edited 09-09-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sounds good,been wanting to drive out that way sometime.Been to busy on the cabin,huntin`,and socializin`if ya know what I mean.I never did have anythang agin` shootin` cans.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey 218, I didn't mean to leave ya hanging. Between working this weekend and hunting today I've been out of the loop a little. I grew up in Mt.Airy and have spent some time hunting with another friend in Charlston W.V. Boy that sure is some beautful country! Maby if the good Lord's willing we'll meet up someday and knock a big dent in the Deer population!!I hunted in Yancy co. today but only saw 3 doe's and 2 fawns. It only being the first day and all I just couldn't bring myself to take a doe. I'll get another chance this Friday & Saturday and hopefuly 3 days next week if I'm not needed too bad at work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well now,that`s interestin` shane ,I probably go right past your house every year.Maybe I`ll hafta come knockin, one of these days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You do that 218. the welcome mat stays out!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know this thread is a little old but it was current before I left to go hunting the other day. My father-in-law and I have taken some nice deer the last few days. What have you guys been doing? I see dano is back! Is there anything else new? I left saturday morning.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Timberbeast, I can split wood real good. Would a cord or two be 'nuff fer 'n invite to yer place, huh, huh, slobber, pant?
    So many guns to buy. So little money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here we go ,shane`s gunna get us all worked up again!!!Do tell ,shane ,did ya shoot em out there on our secret huntin` place,ya havn`t told anybody where it is have ya?????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I only took 2 on this last trip so I could have plenty of targets come gun season. Besides I don't wanna show everyone up too badly. I read on another post where someone once said " That dog wont hunt" Well this one WILL!! Catch me if ya can boys, I've got 2 in the freezer and I'm dustin off my smokepole. That season comes in Oct.8 around here. If all goes well I'll get to hunt a few days that week.
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    My Father has about 45 acres in Mithchell Co. (Spruce Pine). I go up there at least three times every year. You can see Mt. Mitchell from his place. Beautiful up there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Simonbs, I love it in that area! I live in Morganton but hunt in Yancy Co. Sometimes I hunt on a gameland at the foot of Mt.Mitchell near Black Mt. campground. Ever get near those places?[This message has been edited by shane (edited 09-19-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to hunt, but we walk up Mt. Mitchell at least once a year. We also ride the parkway and spend a day or so at Linville(sp?) Falls. Fall is my favorite time of year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    simonbs, The Linville area is nice in the fall. Me my wife and the boys are gonna take a ride around Lake James on our pontoon this year when the leaves change. Why don't you hunt up here? There are plenty of deer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah,I know where Spruce Pine is,west of Boone,not to far.Like I was tellin shane the other day,I drive past it a couple of times a year on my way to my place in West Virginia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    218, I thought you had gone to bed. When are ya coming back this way?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shane, I just never thought about it before. I don't know the area (as far as hunting land goes). Is there a reserve? Public hunting land? I've taken a couple off my Father's place, and just never really given much thought of finding another place up there. Now you've got me thinkin' on lookin' around for something else.218, What time of year do you usually go through?