In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

And The Band Played On

Comments

• k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say Bad Company or, chicago with peter setera
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    JOHN LEE HOOKERDAVID ALLEN COE~THE BAND~CANNED HEAT
  • smokinggunsmokinggun Member Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Creedence Clearwater Revival with John Fogerty up front of course. Also Molly Hatchet, Lynyrd Skynyrd and any other Rebel Flag band!Goofed-up spelling corrected, thanks 7mm nut[This message has been edited by smokinggun (edited 02-12-2002).][This message has been edited by smokinggun (edited 02-12-2002).]
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Creedence Clearwater Revival
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, Otoman, Robert Johnson is the true king. Never would have been Bo without RJ. Never would have been Muddy Waters without RJ. Take it from there to Willie Dixon, Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, and you can bring it all the way up to Creed, or the Calling, or whoever is on top now, even if they don't know it, without Johnson there would have been no rock ever.
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David Allen Coe, Hahahahahahahahaha, he is funny though.Bay City Rollerss, WTH, my wifes favorite band when she was growing up, I think I have like two gigs of them on my pc. AC/DC - Thunderstruck was the FIRST song played at my wedding reception.
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm.....James Taylor, ZZ Top, and The DoorsThe Eagles...would make for an interesting night for me....
    "ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!
  • OtomanOtoman Member Posts: 554
    edited November -1
    Hey dano Love her lips you are a guy of class, and Timberbeast who is Robert Johnson? I have never heard of him but I must check him out. It sounds like you know where I am comming from....Buy guys got to go to work I am running late! Its only a job now that I have gunbroker....
  • ysacresysacres Member Posts: 294 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns & roses or John Denver
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    7mm:I used to be really big into Rage. Like huge.I grew out of it pretty quick after I realized how utterly juvenile and ridiculous their lyrics and political "ideals" were.Bunch of morons making millions of dollars a year on capitalism who sit there with their CCCP and Soviet hammer and sickle t-shirts and talk about how they want to stomp on the flag and burn it.What I say: When and ONLY when you give away your Capitalist-produced and financed color TV and computer and clothes and house and move to Cuba with nothing but home-grown clothes on your back and a plowing donkey, THEN you can talk about how rotten the US is and how capitalism sucks and we should all be Commies instead.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye, I don't listen to their music for what they say or believe. I'm definatly not supporting them by purchasing their albums. I'm one of the guys metalica is scared of. Remember napster? I havent paid for music in a LONG time and I have one heck of a collection now thanks to napster and a few others. Take Ozzy for example, this man sang a song about suicide, listen to the song and pay no mind to his arguments, I have the original copy of it and it says " get the gun and shoot". Now should I not listen to Ozzy because of that, look at Marilyn Manson, what a disgusting creep, but he has done a few songs I like. I could care less about musicians views, I like music. and most of what they say is about publicity anyhow. They want attention and they say what people want to hear. Publicity, thats what they want. Kid Rock pushes prostitution is his songs, pushes dope, should we not listen to him? almost every metal rock star has spoken things that are not PC from time to time. Look at the Doors, Hendrix, Joplin, Mamma Cass, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Gratefull Dead and SOOOOO many others that protested the war in 'nam and used hard dope to get their music bought. We still listen to them. Until they outright do something to hurt us, not just run their mouth or exercise free speach I will listen to who I want. Infact if we boycotted all of the musicians who ever did something immoral or spoke out against the USA we wouldnt have to many groups to listen to. we would still be buying Beach Boys and Jan & Dean albums just to have clean music.
    If you want my guns you will have to kill me first. I was born free and to take that from me you better be ready to fight.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to say that the best live show I've seen has been the Metallical/Days of the New/Jerry Cantrell tour back in 1998. It was General Admission at the Gorge in Eastern WA. I managed to get about seven bodies back from the stage. I only lasted about 45 minutes and was exhausted. Good show. I did some intermural boxing for a season while I was in college and used to pump myself up before a match with AC/DC. Both Metallica and AC/DC were great bands to warm up with prior to boxing or an Army physical fitness test. If I had to choose one musician for a private party performance, I'd resurrect Stevie Ray Vaughn. I can't believe he's dead. He cleans himself up and starts helping other musicians drop the dope habit and really starts performing well again and he goes and dies in a plane crash. He's one of my all-time favorites to watch on video. One hell of a guitar player.
    edited November -1
    Idsman..Right on about SRV..besides my CDs,Ive got his AUSTIN CITY LIMITS performance on vidio,and have rented some good vidios of him live.I`ve liked him since the very early 80s.He was the best at what he did!!.218
    edited November -1
    7mm, you're already boycotting your favorites by stealing (yes, stealing) their property. You just publicy admitted to being a thief.Otoman, Robert Johnson is the roots of rock, the bluesman who "sold his soul" to the devil at the "Crossroads". Clapton's Cream version is a Johnson song, so is the Stones doing "Love in Vain". He is (or was) the idle of, to name a few, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Cray, Jimmy Page of Zeppelin, Lennon, Elvis, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Bo Diddley, B.B. King, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana, Canned Heat, Robby Krieger of the Doors, the list goes on. Without his influence on the guys who started "early rock", rock itself would never have been. TURN IT UP!!!!!!!!!!
    edited November -1
    O.K. Beast you have my attention, I want to get an album by him. What would you reccomend?
    edited November -1
    Beast,I`ve always wondered if there is anything to that old crossroads story,about Johnson..or if it`s just another load.What do you think?.218
    edited November -1
    Bee, all I know is they said he went up onstage at some club and got laughed off, came back a week later and blew everyone away with his playing. Maybe he just sobered up? It's a legend, but he was real.Oto, the CD I have is everything he ever recorded, and it's poor quality sonically, but the genius is apparent to any true lover of the blues. Sounds like three guitars playing at times (there were no amps in those days, so it's all acoustic). It's called "Robert Johnson Gold Collection" and is on "SUISA" label, maybe Amazon has it.Songs:Kindhearted Woman BluesI Believe I'll Dust My Broom (done by the Stones but never recorded)Sweet Home ChicagoRambling On My MindCome On In My Kitchen (done by Steve Miller on "The Joker" album)Terraplane Blues.32-.20 BluesDead Shrimp BluesCross Road Blues (done by Cream and others)Walking BluesLast Fair Deal Gone DownPreaching BluesStones In My PasswayI'm a Steady Rollin' ManFrom Four Till LateHellhound On My TrailLittle Queen Of SpadesMalted MilkMe And The Devil BluesStop Breakin' Down (done by the Stones)Honeymoon BluesLove In Vain (done by the Stones)Milkcow's Calf BluesThis stuff was recorded in a hotel room in the 1920's. Johnson died soon after, but it's debated whether he died of a gunshot from a jealous husband, drank poison whiskey, or killed himself. I believe he was younger than 30???? at the time of his death. This is, as Keith Richards puts it: "Grown Man's Music".
    edited November -1
    Yeah beast,your right about "he was real"!!You mention it sounds like 3 guitars at times..John Lee Hooker sounded like 3 or so, at times too,in his acoustic stuff.Those guys came up with extra sounds,from tappin` the floor,to slappin` on the guitar with their hand..32-.20 Blues ...that`s the daddy of the .218,ya know!I guess it`s the .218 Blues I get when nobody wants ta talk about bees. .218.218
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IDSMAN YOU RULE!WAS REALLY STARTING TO WORRY WHEN I GOT TO THE END OF THE FIRST PAGE AND NOONE HAD MENTIONED THE GREATEST GUITAR SLINGER THAT EVER LIVED-S.R.V.-STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN FOR THE UNENLIGHTENED MASSES.STEVIE RAY WITH JANIS JOPLIN SINGING WITH JOE COCKER IN THERE JUST TO KEEP IT REAL.IVE GOT THE AUSTIN CITY LIMITS DVD AND A LIMITED EDITION DVD THAT WAS RELEASED ONLY AS PART OF A BOX SET AND IVE GOT THE LIVE FROM THE EL MACAMBO DVD,DUDE IF YOU AINT GOT LIVE FROM THE EL MACAMBO YOU GOTTA GET IT IT IS THE BEST LIVE DVD EVER.8&1/2 MINUTE VERSION OF TEXAS FLOOD THAT JUST ROCKS.DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A SRV DVD THAT HAS HIM PLAYING LITTLE WING? IF SO POST A RESPONSE ATTN TO ME OR E-MAIL AT WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
    edited November -1
    I think he did it at the Montreaux Jazz Festival in Switzerland, don't know if it's on DVD. That was the show where Bowie saw him and hired him to play on the "Let's Dance" album.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, this thread just inspired me to dig out the two SRV CD's that I own. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble: Greatest Hits and also "Live at Carnegie Hall". Tonight "The House is Rockin'" because I can't sleep and SRV is singin' and playin' like a fool on my speakers.I forgot to mention SRV's impeccable taste in performance attire. I love the hats he wore.[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-16-2002).]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    How about Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Bill Monroe, Dan Tyminski, Earl Scruggs and if David Allen Coe dropped by we'd let him play along too. The one I always wanted to get to talk to, left us this week. We'll miss you Waylon!!
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ottoman; I saw Bo Diddly open up for Ten Years After back in 1971 at the Spectrum in Phil. I've always been an ELVIS fan.I saw him in Phil. also the year he died.
    Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • dhdh Member Posts: 127 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tanya Tucker and Wynonna Judd.And I don't care if Tanya does have a bad rep,aint like I wanna marry her or anything.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Otoman....Bo Diddley couldn't carry Richard Pennyman's (Little Richard to you) sheet music. This was a wild man. Used to see him a lot when he was travelling. He'd always come over and talk for a few minutes. Once, when I was working at Dulles Airport, he was standing in the line to get to the counter while I was working in the lobby. I saw him and, just for fun, announced in my loudest, MC voice, "Ladies and gentlemen. One of the kings of rock 'n' roll.....Little Richard." I couldn't believe it....the whole crowd (about 50 people) applauded. You wouldn't believe the smile on his face. After that, everytime he came through when I was working, he'd come over and shake my hand. He'd also introduce me to the young man he was travelling with, but that's another story.Also met Elvis in 1957 or '58 at the Cotton Club in W. Memphis AR. He was performing there and my buddy, who knew him, and I went there to catch his act. After they closed, Elvis invited us to stay for a while a shoot the s---. We sat and talked for about an hour. Really nice guy. This was WWAAYY before he got into drugs. Also there was a comedian by the name of "Brother Dave Gardner." Funny, funny guy. If you ever get a chance, listen to some of his records. You'll have to have a 78 rpm turntable 'cause they're old records.Anyway...to answer the questionElvisFlatt and ScruggsRoy Clark (Right....no singing!!)Faith Hill (She could sing or not. I don't care.)Garth BrooksThe Irish RoversRonan TynanKiri Te KanawaPlacido DomingoThe Boston SymphonyMichael Flatley and troupAnd for the audience participation portion of this extravaganza......... ChuckyHillary Sarah Teddy Diane as the targets in the * kicking portion of the party.I know that's a lot of people. I have a very large backyard.Mudge the entertainment committee
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How could ya pick??? How could ya pick between Molly Hatchet and 38 Special??,,,,,,couldn't do it,,,,,have 'em both over,,,,,while they was playin' I could be thinking that it would be cool if I too were,,,SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD!!!,,,,"sigh" "wheres my L.P's??,,, gotta go dust off the turntable!!!
    edited November -1
    Mudge I have heard some of Brother Dave Gardners stuff he is a funny cat. I think that it is cool that you have met Elvis and Little Richard (To Me) but when it comes to True Rock and Roll and not the Blues. Bo Diddley started it all and has less recognition than anyone. Man he could play that mumbl'n geetar! I went to a club where he played the last time he showed up in Wichita and there was only approximately 100 people present, man it was kind of sad. He was a Sheriff before he got into rock and roll. He is the "TRUE UNDISPUTED KING OF ROCK AND ROLL" and you can quote me on that. Auto
    edited November -1
    BIG BOSS MAN, CANT YO HEAR ME WHEN I CALL,YOU AIN'T SO BIG YOU JUST TALL THATS ALL: JIMMY REED.[This message has been edited by Otoman (edited 02-16-2002).]
    edited November -1
    OH YES BEE YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT THE BAND. I HAVE THE MUSIC FROM BIG PINK ON AN ALBUM AND HAVE LOVED IT SINCE I WAS ABOUT 22 YEARS OLD AND P.S. DID YOU SEE THE NEW AMERICAN RIFLEMAN WITH THE .17 HORNADY. NOW WHAT IS THAT A BEE-PLUS. YOU BETTER START SAVING!
    edited November -1
    Speaking of Bo Diddley, think about his rythmn, the beat of his music, then figure out where Buddy Holly got "Not Fade Away"? Hmmmmm?????Don't forget Jerry Lee Lewis, either!
  • .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .218 Beekeeper -Go to your local video rental store and pick up "Crossroads", a film with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca.It tells a version of the Robert Johnson story. There is also a bunch of kickass rockin' blues guitar work, especially the grand finale in the film.Rent it, trust me, it's worth the rental price just for the guitar work in the flick.
    edited November -1
    Great flick! For the record, all of the slide guitar in the movie was played by Ry Cooder, and all of the articulated guitar was played by Steve Vai (who appears at the end "cutting heads" against Macchio). Macchio did a great job, though his playing isn't heard, his hands are always in the right place!
  • bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta have .38 Special there. I mean, this is a gun forum! LOL! But my hands down choice is Shania Twain. Music be danged, she can sing to me ANYTIME!
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF IM NOT MISTAKEN,THE BLUES FESTIVAL IN MONTREAUX SWITZ. THAT SRV DID IS DUE TO BE RELEASED ON DVD SOON
    SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,NE'ER DO WELL, INSTIGATOR,AND RUSTY WALLACE FAN
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Being Southern, SW VA. born(not WVA), bluegrass is what I was raised on and what I play. However a party with Bo-Diddly and Chuck Berry would be a blast and if I plug in I can still play some old time Rock-and Roll!!!!
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob Hope and Phyllis Diller....I know they are not a band, but being in a room with those two in their prime would have been priceless....Now for music....Patsy Cline and Brenda Lee
  • Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allman Brothers when Duane was alive were the best live band going...even now with Warren Haynes they are kick-butt!! Need Dickie Betts back though...politics suck even in rock bands...
    edited November -1
    .280,I`ll rent that one..Ry Cooder has a fine sound too.Beast,The Killer rules..of all his music,oddly I like 'Middle Age Crazy,and as my kids have been whatching The Wizard Of Ozz a lot lately,in my mind,I`ve been hearing Jerry Lee sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'...lovely the way he sang it.Otoman,that 17 Hornaday ain`t no bee!I`ve got ..From Big Pink',it`s awesome!What about THE MARSHALL TUCKER BAND,that was fine music!Bushy AR ,Nobody can catch THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND..Dicky Betts is a Whitetail hunter!!.218[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 02-16-2002).][This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 02-16-2002).]
  • gunluv280gunluv280 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gotta go with Steve Earle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    1. Alabama2. The Moody Blues with a full orchestra.3. Ted Nugent4. Jimi Hendrix5 Pink Floyd [met them at toledo airport]6.Johnny Horton7.The outlaws-Cash,Kristofferson,Nelson and Jennings.8.Ultimate Spinach9. Alan Parsons
    Never ask why but only the value of.[This message has been edited by alledan (edited 02-17-2002).]